White Spot

• SRC Member

R ur fishes still feeding?

if they r still feeding n swimming as per normal.... u may consider feeding them with healthy food so that on a long term basis, white spots will go off by themselves, such as soaking food with garlic guard n vitamins like selcon. This may just be due to some factors ( like relatively new tank, introduced new LS, etc...)....

if u hav angels n tangs, u may wan to try having cleaner shrimp to aid in removal....

else if the situation is quite critical, it may be due to stress caused by poor water parameters... check ur parameters n make water changes....

else, last resort, find reef-safe medications e.g. myxazin (dun noe spelling correct a not) or kent parasite ~~~ (forgot full name)

Marinereef,

Below is my method. I have cured 1 regal angel, 1 purple tang and a powder blue almost recovered.

Catch your emperor angel and put it in a pail of freshwater with mash garlic for about 3 mins then release it back to your tank. Repeat this until (1 - 2 times each day)white spot totally gone( white spot should go off in around 2-3 days). Continune this treatment for another 5 days after white spot is gone. Then keep the fish under monitor, if white spot come back again repeat the treatment....

According to my experience, once the fish recover using this treatment, it will have immune to white spot. My regal angel and purple tang never have white spot again even when new introduced fish has an out break.

freshwater dip is extremely stress to the fish..

it may killl most of the parasite. if u note

carefully, the spots will bloated after a dip.

weak fish may die from shock. so do it sparingly.

I used to do it often, but now take this drastic

steps only when my fish looks really bad.

So far I do two dips on my blue tang, its oki so far.

boost the fish system with garlic soaked food.

as for recovery from spots n not getting them.

the fish has already seasoned, the parasites is

still in the tank, but has not gone into the body

of the fish.

whenever the fish get stress (could be

many reasons, sick, bullied, poor water condition) the immune system

is down, the spots will comes again. usually dose

of garlic soaked food will get the seasoned fish up

n running.

only main concern is new fish getting spots too weak

n get easily shell shocked by fresh water dip.

parasites take in the fresh water so much, they get

bloated n dies.

White spot is always due to stress. Stress is caused by a few factors:

1. High nitrate/nitrite -- Fish cannot breathe properly when these levels are high. Remedy: Add nitrate/nitrite removal. May take a few days. Make sure you have ceremic rings in the filter to cultivate good bacterial that breakes down nitrate. Purchase some bacterial product and add it into the filter according to instruction.

2. Temperature drop too quickly and drastically. Remedy: Switch on the lights for a longer time. How long? -- depends on your tank and lights. Distance between them, air ciculation in your house, windy etc... Need your personal experience. At 29 degrees, white spot should disappear.

In my opinion, medication hardly works because it will not solve the root of the problem. For quick remedy, prchasue reef water and change 50% of the water in a few intervals. Repeat this until the nitrate level drop.

When recover, must take care of flter, circulation and feeding. Nitrate always shoot up in a small tank.

Hope my experience helps. :whistle