heavy metals remover

bawater

• SRC Member

Just a thought,

Tank crashes could happen due to heavy metals build up

Heavy Metals are found in highest concentration in Shell fish(which is how most agencies measure levels for food safety & environment)- so just like using the NNR method of removing nitrates,

i was wondering if shellfish in the sump or refugium would benefit in removing zinc/mercury/iron/boron/chromium......etc. although at the same time they also use up oxygen/food particulates/magnesium/calcium & a host of other trace elements. i was at the beach/magroves yesterday catching tiny shrimp for seahorses & came across cockles,barnacles in big numbers & of course hermits). i got a few cockles(u won't imagine how ugly they are), barnacles(they look kinda cool flickering in the water column),& clams. They are in a standalone 2ft with old tankwater so that i can see what kind of effects they have ,now i have to find specific test kits for metals :(

so is my theory right...or somewhere within the right track? i was thinkin in the lines of nutrient export.

Or maybe they will do more harm then good- if incorporated into an ecosystem!. But for sure not in the main tank.

• SRC Member

I don't know much about whether shellfish can help remove the metals you mentioned. Maybe someone here with the knowledge can help. But why don't you use Polyfilters or even Cuprisorb (Seachem) to help take out metals in your tank instead of putting up with what you call ugly cockles or taking chances that they might leech back some of the metal ions in them. :) JMO

• SRC Member

I'll prefer to use Polyfilter or one of those resin type absorbers.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Just a thought,

Tank crashes could happen due to heavy metals build up

Heavy Metals are found in highest concentration in Shell fish(which is how most agencies measure levels for food safety & environment)- so just like using the NNR method of removing nitrates,

i was wondering if shellfish in the sump or refugium would benefit in removing zinc/mercury/iron/boron/chromium......etc. although at the same time they also use up oxygen/food particulates/magnesium/calcium & a host of other trace elements. i was at the beach/magroves yesterday catching tiny shrimp for seahorses & came across cockles,barnacles in big numbers & of course hermits). i got a few cockles(u won't imagine how ugly they are), barnacles(they look kinda cool flickering in the water column),& clams. They are in a standalone 2ft with old tankwater so that i can see what kind of effects they have ,now i have to find specific test kits for metals :(

so is my theory right...or somewhere within the right track? i was thinkin in the lines of nutrient export.

Or maybe they will do more harm then good- if incorporated into an ecosystem!. But for sure not in the main tank.

Why do you think that heavy metals would build up? Just curious. Dr. R. S.?

It usually isn't a big problem in tanks.

• SRC Member

not a problem- just trace amounts. There's bound to be some in.

Because its an enclosed system- it has nowhere to go- & after some time(i talking years) it may be a problem-just wondering.

& using resins like Tanzy is the way to go- should forget my idea!it doesn't work in practical, trust me. I'm the one who has to clean the stinky tank i tested in.

:P

• SRC Member

If you can, get this book titled"WATER THE SHOCKING TRUTH That Can Save Your Life" by Bragg. It is about the serious harm by utility, spring, well and various types of water from various sources that causes most of the sickness suffered by man today due to heavy metals in our water.

It has no relations with aqua keeping but can be applied thru the knowledge learned.