MH light problem....need advise!

kschew1498

• SRC Member

Hi Reefers

I have been running a second hand ATMAN MH Lights for 1.5 years and last friday I discover that one of my 150W MH Bulb blown! <_<

After some brief trouble-shooting I discover that the mechanical ballest is spoilt. I manage to get a second hand from a reefer and install it just now but then another problem arise! :pinch:

The MH bulb lighted up for less than 3 minutes, it flickle and dies off! Then after 1-2 minutes, it lighted up again....then flicker.....and for another 1-2 mintues.....it dies off again!

I manage to seek some advise from a kind reefer and was reckon that it may be due to the ignitor thus I made a swop it with a working one but to no avail! Damn!....it so troublesome to dismantle to do the swoping with the working one! :(

Was then suspecting it might be due to the MH holder so I did some cleaning on the contact point......spray WD40.....still to no avail! There is still some rusty and burned mark!

Can anybody advise what did I miss out?

I am totally lost now.....and now my MH is only running on 2 MH Bulb....left and centre!.....I have got to get it running as my corals have been deprived of lights for the last few days....since last friday!

Anybody out there can give me some advise what could I have miss out checking on my MH? :huh:

Here is a picture of my ATMAN MH. Its comes with 6 actinic and 3X150W MH.

post-17-1127754913.jpg

• SRC Member

Can anybody help? Any experience of such problems? Any advise?

I am now thinking of a few alternative:

1) sent my whole MH system for a upgrade to 2X150w (retain existing) plus a new 250w MH :rolleyes:

2) Sell the whole thing away and get those without the casing, pendulum or hanging type :sick:

3) Change to T5 :idea:

4) Continue with my current configuration (left with 2X150w) and sell off some of my corals :(

5) Convert to Fish Only Marine Tank! <_<

Sigh!

Think either option 2 or 3 is more logical since my passion with reefing is still there!....but then I still prefer to retain the current lighthing configuration but I really need some help and advise here...... :(

• SRC Member
call me lah....c if i can help u on the phone.... ;)

ok ...will call you soon.....

In fact I have thought of calling you but my MH was modified by a friend previously thus he was first on my mind to call for help.

Myabe you can give me another perspective of my problem I am facing.

Thanks for your offer.

In any case, anybody who are handy-man and have mingle around your MH and faced such problem before, please give me some advise....... ;) Thanks

• SRC Member
get the one hanambmw is selling, $300 only :P

Damn!...Thats a steal!......but I think it may not fit my 5 footer. <_< .....the legs may not be long enough and I will have to modified it again to separate the MH & Actinic which is what I have done to mine.

• Sponsor

as for the atman fixture, the only fault lies on the RX7 connector. After sometime of usage (6mths or so), carbon will build up on the connector which will prevent it to have a good contact with the MH bulb. and also, since the RX7 connector comes in 2pcs/set, after sometimes it will get loose( the mh bulb will be loose after installation).

i think you problem lies to the poor contact of the holder n bulb since it is able to light up the first time but fails after a few minutes.

My suggestion is to unscrew the holder, try moving it closer, hoping that it will give a good contact of the bulb n holder.

With that, it should resolve your problem. If not, replace for a better german RX7 holder.... ;)

my 2 cents.....

• SRC Member
as for the atman fixture, the only fault lies on the RX7 connector. After sometime of usage (6mths or so), carbon will build up on the connector which will prevent it to have a good contact with the MH bulb. and also, since the RX7 connector comes in 2pcs/set, after sometimes it will get loose( the mh bulb will be loose after installation).

i think you problem lies to the poor contact of the holder n bulb since it is able to light up the first time but fails after a few minutes.

My suggestion is to unscrew the holder, try moving it closer, hoping that it will give a good contact of the bulb n holder.

With that, it should resolve your problem. If not, replace for a better german RX7 holder.... ;)

my 2 cents.....

Hey Dr Evil....thats a lot of cents of advise!.... :lol::lol:

Where can I get a RX7 connector?...(sound like Mazda RX7...hahahaha) and roughly how much is it if I may ask?

I will try to move the contact/holder to each other. Thanks for your advise. Really appreciate it!

In fact, last night I thought of trying to swop the connector/MH Holder with the working one.....but its just too difficult....got to cut away the wire and reconnect as I dont dare to dismantle the connector to release the cable........furthermore I am afraid I made things worse......which is always the case! <_<

• SRC Member

bro kschew1498,

i am using 4ft atman light. I am having the same problem. One of the MH is able to light up at first attempt. After that, it die off. I found out there are burnt mark or carbon at the connector/end cap. Moreover, i observed that the connector holding the MH are pretty loose in ATMAN MH.

The reason is explained by Dr Evil below. I bought the RX7 connector from him and fitted it. It works... might want to contact doc evil...

just to share my experience....

• SRC Member
bro kschew1498,

i am using 4ft atman light. I am having the same problem. One of the MH is able to light up at first attempt. After that, it die off. I found out there are burnt mark or carbon at the connector/end cap. Moreover, i observed that the connector holding the MH are pretty loose in ATMAN MH.

The reason is explained by Dr Evil below. I bought the RX7 connector from him and fitted it. It works... might want to contact doc evil...

just to share my experience....

Really! :yeah: .....thats really solve all my problems!......Thanks for your advise. ;)

• SRC Member
MH light set, not light bulb lah.

Yo Patrick....how are you?....Thanks for the explanation.

I just change all my 3 MH Bulb in June this year......its was a steal from Dr Evil.....good promotional prices and I love the brightness.....14kk.....not too blue and not too yellow. ;)

Sigh!....too bad....my stupid ballest spoilt one of my MH Bulb!...DAMN! :angry: