Found The Culprit For My Overflowing Skimmer

maxifire

• SRC Member

Hi fellow reefers,

I just found out that the cause of my overflowing protein skimmer is caused by my Nutrafin anti chlorine solution. Today, I mixed my anti chlorine solution with water to top up the evaporated water. Shortly after within seconds, I realised that my skimmer is overflowing. I guess I'll have to wait for another couple of days before the skimmer gets back to work.

Just an experience to share. If any of you guys are experiencing overflowing skimmers, this could be one of the reason why. Perhaps a big tank would not be very much affected (FYI, I'm only using a 2ft tank.) :)

• SRC Member

Hey I had the same thing happen to me!!

Originally I had little or no foaming at all in my skimmer, then when I switched to Nutrafin suddenly the skimmer was foaming like a can of coke...

But for me I thought it was better considering it was not foaming at all before that..

So I just turned down the skimmer level by a few more cm to adjust accordingly..

Any other people notice this strange trend?

• SRC Member
Hey I had the same thing happen to me!!

Originally I had little or no foaming at all in my skimmer, then when I switched to Nutrafin suddenly the skimmer was foaming like a can of coke...

But for me I thought it was better considering it was not foaming at all before that..

So I just turned down the skimmer level by a few more cm to adjust accordingly..

Any other people notice this strange trend?

Haha.. you're lucky then. Mine is overflowing like mad.. I have to cover my air inlet in order for it not to overflow. :snore:

• SRC Member

actually yes the anti chlorine liquid u add to your tap water will do that..

u know nutrafin does that to me too.. even to my air-driven skimmer..

ok make it clear i change to tetra aquasafe.. the blue liquid.. for fresh and marine thats the best..

u should know when u add in the anti-chlorine liquid they sort of like change the cholorine to other type of safer thing but they just won't destroy it thats why maybe the changed product is skimmed to your skimmer..

just share my thoughts..

actually if u have time its better for me easy cause my tank 2 feeter i put the tap water in a pail after 2 days put in wat i found to be best

tetra aquasafe.. it makes water turns blue for some time then be clear..

then i add salt then check salinity then i add in to my tank..

chlorine during 2 days be evaporated too,,

• SRC Member

cookiemunster,

Its true anti-chlorine do make skimmer foam like mad. I used to used HW and sera anti-chlorine, both product make my skimmer foam until my skimate flow back into the sump :(

• SRC Member

I use the nutrafin & the old berlin triple pass skimmer. Same effect, just hv to adjust the knob accordingly thats all. Think its pretty gd to be honest.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member
I use the nutrafin & the old berlin triple pass skimmer. Same effect, just hv to adjust the knob accordingly thats all. Think its pretty gd to be honest.

You're lucky that all you need to do is to adjust the valve to solve the problem. I adjusted my valve to the minimal flow and it's just overflowing! :cry: Now I even have to cover my air inlet to prevent it from overflowing.

So which anti chlorine product will prevent the skimmer to foam so much? Tetra Aquasafe?

:thanks:

• SRC Member

I think there's some kind of organic polymer in Nutrafin that is suppose to protect the fish by enhancing the mucous coat. I think it's obviously a product with freshwater in mind which do not use skimmers.

I like Seachem Prime which doesn't cause such problems.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif