Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

messy sump... more of a refug really..

-Added a 12v DC fan directing air out of the cabinet

Have the following algae ...

Ulva, Chaetomorpha, Udotea flabellum

Been experimenting with having chaetomorpha in high flow (center of the sump) and low flow (on the left side of the sump).. Seems like low flow does increase the growth rate in my tank conditions

post-32-1132382899.jpg

• SRC Member

true true... i think it really depends on where u position the skimmer.. directly fed from return pump/overflow..etc

there're studies done that concluded that skimmer does reduces the population of pods.. but i didnt really go into the details .. not sure at what position did those researchers fixed their skimmer at..

well anyway my sump/refug is really a safe heaven for pods breeding as they'll not be much predation.. placing a skimmer there may suck in the lavars b 4 it has got a chance to be fully developed i feel

• SRC Member

hmm... okok, i guess i get what you mean, the return might not kill the pods, so when the return brings the pods to the main tank, the SH might be able to get to them before the skimmer right?? =)

in one of the posts earlier, one reefer also mentioned to FW dip. you meanyou can actually FW dip the seahorses?? won't die mehz??

• SRC Member
hmm... okok, i guess i get what you mean, the return might not kill the pods, so when the return brings the pods to the main tank, the SH might be able to get to them before the skimmer right?? =)

in one of the posts earlier, one reefer also mentioned to FW dip. you meanyou can actually FW dip the seahorses?? won't die mehz??

yea sortof.. im just trying my best to minimize the risk of ###### in pods lavals ..

SH wont die in FW immediately at least .. not too sure how long the parasite will take to evacuate in FW dipping .. but dont think i wanna dip SH in FW for more than 2 min

true true... i think it really depends on where u position the skimmer.. directly fed from return pump/overflow..etc

there're studies done that concluded that skimmer does reduces the population of pods.. but i didnt really go into the details .. not sure at what position did those researchers fixed their skimmer at..

well anyway my sump/refug is really a safe heaven for pods breeding as they'll not be much predation.. placing a skimmer there may suck in the lavars b 4 it has got a chance to be fully developed i feel

wat if U place yr skimmer pump in yr overflow box?

Skim the water before it goes into the sump, and yr return from the sump at the opp side of the tank? Minimise the interation of the new pods and skimmer intake?

Forgotten where is yr return liao :pinch: Getting old :cry2:

• SRC Member

wat if U place yr skimmer pump in yr overflow box?

Skim the water before it goes into the sump, and yr return from the sump at the opp side of the tank? Minimise the interation of the new pods and skimmer intake?

Forgotten where is yr return liao :pinch: Getting old :cry2:

hm.. i dont feel safe having a pump in the overflow box.. that will disturb the overflow isnt it?

yea i think its good idea to put it in the sump where it gets direct current from overflow .. but i do not really have enu space in my cabinet plus my sump has thick euro bracing

anyway the skimmer is producing consistance amount of skimmate.. so i wouldnt be worried about efficiency so much

• 5 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
:yeah: nice tank! hope to c the ponies swimming in the tank in the next update! COOL tank! :yeah:

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member
:yeah: nice tank! hope to c the ponies swimming in the tank in the next update! COOL tank! :yeah:

Those r very encouraging words from SH guru himself!! THANKS!

I deem my tank as pretty SH ready now, should be able to post pic with ponies soon!

• SRC Member

Your setup very gd! no complicated rockworks that will cause ur sh to mia... :lol: very gd setup for reidi and kudas. ;)

:yeah: WHat sh are u getting? must post pics k? :P

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!