Purple-headed boxer

veliferium

Anyone here has tried this shrimp,Stenopus tenuirostris...Saw it in FuEl's tank and found it very beautiful...

I saw it on sale on at PR before,quite reasonably priced for such a beautiful shrimp.....but the only thing is that it is too small,i scare tht it will get lost in my tank....

Anybody here has kept it before?Does it require more careful care than the common boxer? :lol:

• SRC Member

have one in my tank. very hardy. cleared out my tank to 'refurnish' it. after clearing all life stock, i could not find my purple boxer. thought it might have died.

its pretty shy so i don't see much of it. But when i removed my last live rock, there he was, clinging on for life. bought it when it was about an inch long. its still an inch long, maybe feelers abit longer, thats all that has grown.

go for it. its a beauty. perhaps rescape your rock work so the caves face out.

Nice shrimp..one of the more peaceful boxers although they are still aggressive towards other boxers. I had a purple boxer, added a S. zanzibaricus with it as I thought the smaller purple boxer will leave it alone. To my surprise it chased the other boxer which was easily 3-4 times its size. Even got a bounty of one claw. :blink: Other than that it's not aggressive to small fish from what I observed.

Yes they are shy compared to larger boxer species but once you locate where they hang out they tend to stay around the same area. Feeding is probably a good way of locating it. :lol: Great if you could get a mated pair. Or you could try your luck with pairing (keep them apart but let them see each other in the same tank for the first few days). You can easily identify a female by the presence of eggs. ;) If not gravid, females are usually stouter in appearance and have a broader head when viewed from above.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

yup.. veri nice fish... but mine tend to hide under the rock then come out only when i off the light...