Clams

LiveRock

• SRC Member

Hi

Many times captivated by the beauty of clams and I am tempted to get a small/tiny one for my small tank. But I want to sure of its needs and requirements. So, here are the questions:

(1) What is the watt/liter, etc. light requirements? Must I need MH? Or sufficient PLL will do? I've asked a few LFS and many told me PLL will do.

(2) Food requirements: What do they eat?

(3) Will they survive a constant 30 degrees C?

(4) Which species are the least demanding?

Thanks a bunch!

:D

Light requirement: HIGH

Food requirement: Photosynthesis, juvenile: phytoplankton

Survival at 30C constant: probably not.

Speices:

2 species are found in the LFS.

Croceas- come in mainly blues, greens or brownish. HIGH light requirement.

Squamosa - Shades of brown. Light requirement not as high as croceas.

• SRC Member

hi morgan ,

just a q.... i have 4 clams in the tank and 3 i know is corceas .... but the last one .... with a distinct pattern .... blue base one ... is that corceas too .... pic can be found in the reef/ new reef tank under mv3i thread ....

thanks for the info

• SRC Member

Yup, you can find them in SG and yes they command premium price. <_<

Here's a pic of mine in blue and green. Easily recognisable by the hyalin organ peppering the edge of the mantle and are somewhat bigger than croceas. The blue one on the far right is a crocea. Sorry, image a bit blurred..Surface turbulence...

post-6-1037721054.jpg

• SRC Member

wow .... i just wanna know where you get them .... i like them all .... juz how much are we talking about for them .... do they behave like the corceas .... same conditions and strong lights ... anything peculiar about them ...

thanks

• SRC Member

TTBoy,

Thks for the compliment. That large green thing is a green lobophyllia sp.

mv3i

Maximas are quite rare esp. the Blue and Green variants. The Brown ones tend to be relatively more common. If you are lucky, one or two maximas may come together with a group of croceas at any LFS that sells clams. You gotta know how to identify them and zoom in on it. Some LFS knows which is which and you end up paying something like $10-$15 more than the croceas ;) I dunno why? Maybe the size does matter. Admittedly, maximas do look a bit bigger than croceas so if you look at it that way, then the price might be justifiable. My Blue & Green Maxima ($50 each) and my Blue Crocea ($30) and all been around for more than 2 years.

Liverock

Some books say that croceas are more demanding than maximas but basically I don't notice a difference. I treat croceas and maximas in the same way. Strong lighting and cool temperature (24-26 degree Celcius) with additions of kalkwasser. I do not think 30 degrees is sustainable. It will bleach out or shrivel up in time, if not immediate. My friend's didn't last more than a year at 29 degrees (that's subjective though). I don't know what's the max temp to keep crocea and I wouldn't want to hazard a try on mine but I personally feel that if I cannot give them a temperature range of 24-26, I'll refrain from buying them altogether. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Hi Morgan,

Yup, that is positive. I still remember the Green Maxima I got was the only one in 15 croceas there and the Blue one was 2 in 10 blue Croceas and the Brown Maxima was by luck. It happened to be the one and only there and I just closed my eyes and bought it because its occurence is quite rare. :rolleyes:

Heres a pic of my brown one.

post-6-1037808955.jpg

• SRC Member

Nice clams y'all, but what's with the T. maxima and T. squamosa? I personally think that T. crocea is the most beautiful of all the Tridacnids.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Hahaha :D Call it the sixth sense...but right after I posted, I could literally feel this question coming. It was only a question of time.

1. I prefer maxima cos when its happy, its mantle can spread out wider than a crocea thereby spreading its colours further.

2. They are slightly bigger but yet not too big (squamosa).

3. They are not so common.

...But ultimately I guess it just boils down to personal preference. :P

• SRC Member

Hi

Read that Clams actually utilise nitrates! Won't it be a good addition to any reef tank as nitrate reducer?

Also, i'm looking the best bet in achieving a thriving clam for my small tank.

Any recommendations?

(1) Tridacna crocea - vote (0)

(2) Tridacna maxima - vote (0)

(3) Tridacna squamosa - vote (0)

Conditions:

Temperature: 28-30

Lights: 1 x 18W PL, 1 x 18W Actinic PL, 1 x 11W 50/50 PL

Surface area: 1 foot x 1 foot x 2 feet deep.

Filter: Ehiem 2026 Pro-II Canister

Skimmer: Prizm

Cooling: AC Fans blowing over water, DC fans for all lights and ballasts.

Supplements: Kalk, Seachem Reef Plus, CoraLife.

Hope to tap on the wealth of knowledge and experiences from all you guys :)

Cheers!

Hi Morgan,

Yup, that is positive. I still remember the Green Maxima I got was the only one in 15 croceas there and the Blue one was 2 in 10 blue Croceas and the Brown Maxima was by luck. It happened to be the one and only there and I just closed my eyes and bought it because its occurence is quite rare. :rolleyes:

Heres a pic of my brown one.

Hi Stenopus Hispidus

You are really lucky to have spotted it.

Nice clams you have there.

Should take a look at your tank :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Clams can only act as nitrate reducers when used in large amount and given strong lighting such that they will grow and use nutrient. I agree with robe that Fluorescent lights are not suitable for clams, even VHO is a poor substitute for MH. When I was in Maldives, hundreds of T. crocea clams can be seen borrowed into the reef surface in 3 inch deep water! Those clams are living at 2000 E/m2 irradiance level which even 400W MH bulbs struggle to put out over the tank.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Hi liverock

"Conditions:

Lights: 1 x 18W PL, 1 x 18W Actinic PL, 1 x 11W 50/50 PL

Surface area: 1 foot x 1 foot x 2 feet deep."

Your lighting is not good for maintaining clams. The intensity is not strong enough. Clams may not last a year under this condition.

If you already have 1, you will find that the mantle of the clam will extend to very large after a few months, this is becos it trying to photosynthisized as much as possible. And also the colour will gradually fade.

After that it is downhill all the way.

• SRC Member

From what I know,

Clams that have brownish Mantle has a lower lighting requirement....

Those that have coloured mantles required much more light or else their mantle would change to brown...

BTW, does a brown mantle clam changes its colour after gradually exposing it to higher light source??