Leg Massage?

RockLobster

Nice pair and good photo shots. Just an advice that sandshifter stars might not be a good diet for them in the long run. I changed the diet of my pair from linckias to sandshifting sea stars and the day before they started dying they were wandering around, possibly looking for other sea stars. They were healthy animals, with the female releasing larvae into my tank. The next day one died...and days later the other one died. Don't save on the linckias, it will do them good. Linckias also appear to have more flesh compared to sandshifting sea stars. I have a hypothesis that they get the blue colouration from blue linckias..but I have yet to do work on this. I did however notice a change in colouration if I switched from blue linckias to orange ones. :peace:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Nice pair and good photo shots. Just an advice that sandshifter stars might not be a good diet for them in the long run. I changed the diet of my pair from linckias to sandshifting sea stars and the day before they started dying they were wandering around, possibly looking for other sea stars. They were healthy animals, with the female releasing larvae into my tank. The next day one died...and days later the other one died. Don't save on the linckias, it will do them good. Linckias also appear to have more flesh compared to sandshifting sea stars. I have a hypothesis that they get the blue colouration from blue linckias..but I have yet to do work on this. I did however notice a change in colouration if I switched from blue linckias to orange ones. :peace:

Thanks for the compliment. I'll let Mr Sony Ericsson know ;)

I got them in April this year and so far I have been feeding them sandstars; once I tried a chocolate chip but that didnt last long. I tot about getting them a linckia today while I was at reborn but not sure if I want to change their diet suddenly. They have been molting regularly and looked healthy to me.

Thanks for sharing the information. What I notice about them is that initially they go for the kill immediately when a sandstar is put into the tank.

But they have since learnt to keep the food "fresh" by not destroying the nerve centre. Hence the last 3 sandstars I fed them each lasted about 3 weeks before I see them wondering around my tank looking for new target. Then I'll go buy a new sandstar.

Attach pic shows how they kill immediately by attacking the nerve centre. All Apologies if this pic offends anyone.

Cheers.

post-72-1129826249.jpg

• SRC Member

i like the shrimps...

but i dun like the sandster..

it keep reminding me of evil..

and the HS looks like ANGELS :angel: destroying EVIL!! :evil: ..

chomp chomp chomp

the star looks revolting :pinch:

• SRC Member

Hi thanks everyone for your compliments. :eyebrow:

Each sandstar cost between $3-$6 depending on which LFS you purchase it from.

For my case, each sandstar will last between 2-3 weeks for my hs, and they really finish every single bit of the sandstar before the start to wander around the tank, then i'll know its time for resupply :evil:

I edited the pics and here's one with watercolor effect... they don't look so evil now :angel:

post-72-1129859495.jpg

• SRC Member

Thanks again for the compliments.

I'll try to feed them linckias next time since (bro/sis) Fuel says it'll improve their color.

Some people may find it cruel the way hs feeds by thats how nature made them.

For those who are keen to keep hs, please do more research before buying. They're beautiful creatures but the commitment can be quite high.

Anyone else wanna share their hs pics? :peace:

• SRC Member
rocklobster,,

ur shrimps need to left in a shrimp onli tank or can mix with fishes??? very interesting shrimps... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

I also have boxer shrimps, cleaner shrimps, anemone shrimp, pistol shrimps in my tank too.

hs bo chap other fishes and shrimps in my tank and they're pretty much left alone to what they do best.

I think you should consider whether the fishes in your tank might attack hs eg. hawkfish.

Hmm..it's just a hypothesis of mine that Linckias or other pigmented sea stars like Fromia will influence colouration. Have'nt got any chance to test this yet, depends on how my scholarship application turns out. But it's a known fact that Linckias are one of the natural prey items for harlequin shrimp in the wild. Linckias might also be more nutritionally complete compared to sandshifting stars. 2-3 weeks for one sea star to be consumed is quite short compared to a similar sized Linckia which could easily last 3-4 weeks. Do note that Linckias also appear to have more "flesh" compared to sandshifting sea stars. It's like comparing a gutloaded brineshrimp to a 48 hr starved brineshrimp. Just take note of edge of the "claws" of the harlequin shrimp. If in the unfortunate event they should appear to be "nipped"/turning "brown"/undergoing necrosis, it's an early warning sign of nutritional deficiency. Happened to mine before they passed on...initially thought they fought..but then rethinking back..pairs don't fight. Varying the diet for any animal will do good. Just my thoughts.~ :peace:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

what leg massage.... LEG EATING LOHZ!!!

=( i have been thinking about getting a linkia or a biscuit for my tank, but been really scared, coz i'm not sure whether they'll like my water perimeters.... then i see that people actually buy them to be killed...

sigh... and somemore... slow death... =(

thats just what i think loh... oh wells.. you can always think otherwise... sob sob

• 2 weeks later...