How to maintain salinity in 2fter?

hongqixian

• SRC Member

AT, I can't do that everyday when i get a fan (wailing). :P

Actually was just wondering cause I'm going on holiday. I wonder whether I can get a float switch or something like newd says?

Not a problem yet because my newly setup tank has no fan yet and is coralless. I guess since the salinity is a little low the evaporation won't hurt.

Or maybe I could get a box to drip water in like the boxes Harlequin Aq. uses to drip kalk?

NewDamsel, I can't put a sump on my tank. Financial constraints and space :(

• SRC Member

qixian, maybe you could do what I did, put a small power with digital timer and use it as auto top up. You would roughly know how much evaporation your tank will have each day, with that you can tune the output of the powerhead with the help of a valve. Of course you could activate the top up few times a day, so as not to dump the freshwater all at one go. So far so good for my one, has been working since I installed it like 2 months ago. Just a thought...

• SRC Member
AT, I can't do that everyday when i get a fan (wailing). :P

Actually was just wondering cause I'm going on holiday. I wonder whether I can get a float switch or something like newd says?

Not a problem yet because my newly setup tank has no fan yet and is coralless. I guess since the salinity is a little low the evaporation won't hurt.

Or maybe I could get a box to drip water in like the boxes Harlequin Aq. uses to drip kalk?

NewDamsel, I can't put a sump on my tank. Financial constraints and space :(

Dunno about the float switch, i was at sim lim tower yesterday asking for the float switch... but seems that every shop gives me that "are you from mars" look when i ask about the float switch... anyway if i did remember clearly, i read that some forumers got it from sim lim for 20+? Anyway i cant find it and bought a 80cent click switch.. but still wondering how to deal with it... will post in DIY after i figure out.

MAybe for the time being you can borrow from fantom first his DIY auto top up? Drip is dangerous leh, especially the weather nowadays... sometimes hot and dry, sometimes cold and wet,.. the evaporation rate differs rather significantly for me...

• SRC Member
qixian, maybe you could do what I did, put a small power with digital timer and use it as auto top up. You would roughly know how much evaporation your tank will have each day, with that you can tune the output of the powerhead with the help of a valve. Of course you could activate the top up few times a day, so as not to dump the freshwater all at one go. So far so good for my one, has been working since I installed it like 2 months ago. Just a thought...

It is a good idea. I suppose I could use it to slow down the evaporation rate and top up properly when I have time. May I ask where you got ur digital timer? I have only a 15min interval manual one.

Newdamsel, I think they got the parts and DIYed it themselves.