grape caulerpa

magern2

Caulerpa if you have not read about it yet, is the most toxic marine plant you can put into your tank.

The toxins it releases is known to deter coral growth especially in SPS and mature crops have also known to cause excessive yellowing of water.

Not to mention, once they mature in 3 months, they will start going vegetative and releases all of it's absorbed nutrients en masse into your system, overloading any form of filtration.

If you want to have macroalgae in a refugium, go for plants like ulva, chaetomorpha and halimeda ;)

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

although caulerpa is known to give problem, that only happen if no proper maint being given like pruning.

The good point about its is its damn hardy, easy to grow (or some would stated that as -weed- ), and less demanding.

and you generally dont need to buy them. you ask for free from LFS, maybe as a free gift with other purchases.

halimeda need calcium although not as -addicted- as stony corals, and they slower.

dunno about ulva.

chaetomorpha is the best recommended stuff, but hardly available in any LFS, only few reefers here have them.

the other type of macroalgae aren't that popular -- either very few or none grow them, as they are rare and\or demanding.

Caulerpa had been known to release noxious substances when cut so as to "deter predation".

Of course other macroalgae do produce such substances as well but caulerpa is more toxic.

And a good point to take note is that they mature in 3 months so if they are not pruned, they will start their reproduction ;)

I have thought of that but I doubt the LFS can take care of it

However, I did tell those reefers who has got my harvest to share it with other reefers like what wedgee did recently :lol:

• SRC Member

is this the red grade thingy? my friend gave me some... and its in my sump tank now. How do i maintain it ? how would i know when its mature ? I have some red bamboos too. all basking uner a 10k PL light...

i have some srooms in my sump tank too. the shrooms in the sump are not doing that well, unlike the shrooms in my main tank. is it because of the grapes and red bamboos ?

Personally, I don't trust anything which looks like caulerpa

They'll mature in about 3 months and when they become vegetative, they will develop some stringy filamentous stuff

• SRC Member
is this the red grade thingy? my friend gave me some... and its in my sump tank now. How do i maintain it ? how would i know when its mature ? I have some red bamboos too. all basking uner a 10k PL light...

i have some srooms in my sump tank too. the shrooms in the sump are not doing that well, unlike the shrooms in my main tank. is it because of the grapes and red bamboos ?

live stocks in sump or refugium generally are not that well compare to main tank, especially those need light for energy. Unless one have a sys which provide same output\throughput in both parts - main tank and sump.

You shoud move all your corals to main tank.

We put plants in sump\refugium, because they generally not demanding, a simple and the right one light will be good enough for them, like a 30+W PL.

consider your main tank as "master room" while your sump\refugium as "Indo maid room", to help you ease of understand.