Can We Convert T5NO 3' to 2' T5HO

zeotz

• SRC Member

I am thinking of modifying my 3' dymax to fit my 2.5' tank (downgrading exercise).

I can cut the casing to the length I want, fix 2' HO tubes into it and put back the end caps of the casing. Would I have to change the ballast? the current tubes in the housing are rated 21W, if I am not mistaken so I am thinking it should be able to fire up a 24W T5HO without a problem.

Anyone thinks this idea can or cant work, feedback appreciated. thanks!

• SRC Member
i won't advise you to run your tubes on an incorrect ballast... it's like driving a car with the wrong engine...

yeah, i see your point.

but how can i explain my lights with 2 different power ratings (21W and 30W) driven by the same ballast. Alredy 1 year and stil going strong even though this car driven by wrong engine apparently.

• SRC Member

i run a 2ft dynamx with 2ft HO T5 wihout modifying the ballast......not as bright as when using a true T% ballast, but defiantely brighter then the normal NO T5 from dynmax.....about 8 month already....have not burn down the office yet....:P

• SRC Member

thats great tineng.

I have also done the mod with the 24W T5 into my 3' NO ballast casing.

So far so good. the only thing is I am no sure if my NO ballast is 30W or 21W as it Dymax has both types of 3' T5 tubes.

Anyone knows how to test the real wattage rating of the ballast?

• SRC Member

for the information of all interested reefers, the ballast rating for dymax 3' T5NO is 21W. Even if yours was printed 30W on the tube, and even though the website of the local agent says its 30W, its actually 21W. I got this information by email from the local agent and they apologised for the error in prints and will rectify soon.