DIY Kalkwasser Dripper

Midman

• SRC Member

Hi guys B) ........ please comments :D ........ can this stuff works :huh: . I'm not sure leh.... just anyhow hantam :evil: . Tot of DIYing this bugger during the weekend if I can find the stuff lor :whistle

• SRC Member
Hi guys B) ........ please comments :D ........ can this stuff works :huh: . I'm not sure leh.... just anyhow hantam :evil: . Tot of DIYing this bugger during the weekend if I can find the stuff lor :whistle

Oops forgot to attach the diagram

DIY_KALKWASSER_DRIPPER.doc

• SRC Member

hmm..kalk dripper need not be so much complicated..haha

well..for easy DIY..

this is what i did

Materials/Equipments

-Any Container which can store water (duhhh B) ) x1

-those air valves for airpump u can find at most freshwater/saltwater LFS x1

-air pump tubes..long enough to reach your water storage tank x1

-Solder Machine (hmm..most of you should have them do you?)

-Silicon (any type will do)

Steps

1.Mark the spot where u want to drip out the kalk..slightly above bottom level as u wont want to drip the residue down too...

2.Fire up the solder machine and melt abit of the marked spot..

3.Push the air valve into the melted spot so it will fit snuggly in it...

4.slowly silicon the area around the spot..

5.attatch the airpump tubes to the air valve..and...TADA..u have ur kalk dripper..

post-9-1130291520.jpg

• SRC Member

Hi Jem.... nice work there but I believe u need to wait for the kalk to settle down before u can pour it into the container. I have it too but the outlet from the top cover (nutrafin bottle).

If you notice, my propose dripper came with a stirrer and kalk is constantly circulating at a slow speed (got the motor from unused stuff) thus causing the kalk to dissolve slowly.

But I'm not sure how to prevent the water from seeping thru the stirrer rod which might be hazardous. That's why I need advise from DIY gurus how to prevent the water from backflow. If I were to control the drip counts for sure the chamber will be filled and overflow. Just my one cent opinion.

• SRC Member
Hi Jem.... nice work there but I believe u need to wait for the kalk to settle down before u can pour it into the container. I have it too but the outlet from the top cover (nutrafin bottle).

If you notice, my propose dripper came with a stirrer and kalk is constantly circulating at a slow speed (got the motor from unused stuff) thus causing the kalk to dissolve slowly.

But I'm not sure how to prevent the water from seeping thru the stirrer rod which might be hazardous. That's why I need advise from DIY gurus how to prevent the water from backflow. If I were to control the drip counts for sure the chamber will be filled and overflow. Just my one cent opinion.

which is why local brands use magnetic stirrer mah...

get one from RM lor, save so much touble, though DIY alot of satisfaction, but many at times, and for me hehehe 99%, headaches and frustrations from failures hahahaha!

post-304-1148825424.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gif

That just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to,

doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all they have.

• SRC Member

Aquabeanz... :thanks: hor..... but I won't give up now

I had an :idea: ... instead of having the control valve at the output.... would be better if I fixed drip counter(bubble counter....whatever u name it hehehe) but definitely it can prevent the overflow part :evil: ........ yeah :bow::bow:

• SRC Member

:thanks: Jem......... will hunt for the barang-barang this weekend ..... the control valve will be place at the clear tube to prevent overflow at the chamber. Water will remain at the desired level and any excess will slowly flow thru the uncontrolled outlet.

Photo

Hopefully my friend can borrow his DC for a week or two :paiseh: so that I can keep you guys posted :angel: ... hehehe

:bow:

Good idea. Hope you will not be offended, but let me add my two cents :peace:

1. Over time, I think the control valve will become clogged. I guess if you want to use this, periodic maintenance is a must.

2. You will need to match the drip rate with your evaporation rate. Not that easy as the evaporation rate is not a constant.

3. The dripper/doser chamber is pressurised because the top-up reservoir is placed on top of it. This will create an addition dimension to your DIY. Extra care will be needed on the joints.

Good luck with this. Keep us update on your progress B)

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be, be one.

Marcus Aurelius

• SRC Member

No offence Amteo.... indeed ur opinion did help me to think of other aspects for consideration

1. I will place the control valve at the clear tube instead of the output tube. This will ease the control of water flow so as not to cause backflow in the mixer chamber (Refer to my attach diagram 2) - just my presumption :bow:

2. To balance the evaporation and drip rate will definitely takes time. I can't expect much from a DIY stuff until I'm certain it really works after few months of constant running. For sure I can't control the amount of concentrated kalk flows from this stuff - unsure of the calculation done :unsure:

3. Pressurised water taken care of, with the placement of control valve at the clear tubing.... well hopefully it works :whistle

Cheers...

DIY_KALKWASSER_DRIPPER_2.doc

• SRC Member

Hmm... tested the stuff and its working fine.... first I need to refix the gear ratio so that it wont move too slow or too fast. Once I'm done with this part my next move is to create the mixer chamber.

The chamber should be round or square :(

Round slightly costly - need to purchase the round acrylic and round base too

Square is cheaper - Got the acrylic oledi.... just need to measure, cut & assemble

and can also go along with square base :rolleyes:

Going to be messy this weekend. :nuke::fear:

• SRC Member

:cry2: Aaahhhh :cry: .... my house is flooded :nuke: . Gosh! It is really messy.... guess what my powerhead rubber tubing leading to skimmer give way. :cry2::cry2:

No time to continue my projects........... omg my back is aching cleaning the house... not to say my carpet..... :cry2:

Worst was the water splattered on the power supply....... whole house blackout :sick: ....... lucky thing my circuit breaker works fine.........

now must find cover liao...... and replace all tubing...

Lesson learnt -> check ur tubing for tear and wear regularly.

There goes all my weekend.......grrrr :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Okie..dokie..........I'm back on track..... shooh!! what a back breaking indeed.

Been busy for the past few days ;):D .

Now..... :yeah:

my next move..... create a kalk container....

post-9-1131808612.jpg