Setting up of nano reef

stix

Hi, I'm new to marine & reef. I would need some help from you all for setting up a nano reef. :) Ok, from the info what I gathered so far, these are the steps need in setting one.

Things needed

a. Tank

b. Skimmer?

c. Powerhead?

d. Sands

e. Salt

f. Test kits

Steps to set up

1. Prepare salt and mix in water.

2. Set up skimmer.

3. Add sands. Deep Sand Bed?.

4. Add live rocks, cycle the tank for around 1 month.

5. Start to add corals

Can anyone enlighten me if i made any mistake? Or did i miss out any important items? Thanks in advance! :D

• SRC Member

bro...go for barebottom...that means without sand to reduce maintenance.. :D

purchase germany salt for better quality..add cured rocks into ur tank..

having a protein skimmer would be better then u no need to do partial water change very often maybe 2 wks once.. :D

my 2 cents..

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

Ok, Thanks! Updated the equipments.

Things needed

a. Tank

b. Skimmer weipro 2011

c. Powerhead ?

d. Sands

e. Salt Coralife

f. Test kits - NO2, NO3, NH3, PO4

g. Lights

h. hydrometer/refractometer

Why barebottom? It only helps in reducing maintenance? Yup, will be getting weipro 2011.

I see that yours is a 24"x18"x20" - which is around3+ft, is it still regarded as a nano?

Are you using a sump?

• SRC Member

u can refer to my tank threads if u need more info...yes..im using sump...

the reason for going barebottom not only help u to reduce maintenace but to keep ur nitrate in bay.....i regretted putting sand tts y now i going barebottom soon..

for salt..i recommend tropicmarin...

jus my 2 cents...

Equipments:

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

Hi, I'm new to marine & reef. I would need some help from you all for setting up a nano reef. :) Ok, from the info what I gathered so far, these are the steps need in setting one.

Things needed

a. Tank

b. Skimmer?

c. Powerhead?

d. Sands

e. Salt

f. Test kits

Steps to set up

1. Prepare salt and mix in water.

2. Set up skimmer.

3. Add sands. Deep Sand Bed?.

4. Add live rocks, cycle the tank for around 1 month.

5. Start to add corals

Can anyone enlighten me if i made any mistake? Or did i miss out any important items? Thanks in advance! :D

need to decide the size of tank together with the filtration system u are using .

brand of salt is very important as i saw some fresh water LFS packed packet of salt claiming sea salt without any brand. nobody want a unstable ph or impurities in their tank.

brand like marine environment / tropic marine are no doubt one of the best salt. but they come with higher price. corallife is great in my opinion after switching from red sea which i think it's the minimum trusted brand u should go for .

skip the floating hydrometer . give u headaches and eye strain . use a hydrometer at least . for super accuracy , use refractometer .

actually red sea have this package in a box where there are 10 kg of salt , 1 hydrometer and several testkit and addictives which i think cost around 45 dollars at one of our sponsor shop for starter.

sand will be difficult to maintain but with sand u can watch some sand dweller intrigue behaviour , pistol shrimp. for aestatic purposes . DSB works to remove nitrate in a stable system but seemingly it can accumulate undesirable toxin too if not properly maintain. as for mi , i go for the hardworking way, change water every week lor . and i have minimun sand for my viewing pleasure , seem more natural with white sandbed . it's a personal preference.

choice of skimmer will determine ur water quality to a certain extent. personally i prefer prizm because it's sleek and hang on, i have no sump . i feel a minimum of weipro series is needed . actually once upon a time i was using weipro 2213 for my 2 feet. with the correct tuning and pump, it can skim out good skimmate too.

choice of lighting is important for coral. read up more . should include ur setup wih at least a fan / chiller if u intend with coral.

cycle period depend on a lot of factor. e.g cure live rock.

otherwise after a peak of ammonia, will come a peak of nitrite, then nitrate will slowly increase . only when ammonia and nitrite zeroed, ur cycling is complete.

stock slowly . read more on the intended fishes and coral before buying .

generally in this hobby, the more exorbitant an equipment is , the better/ more durable , more effective it is ...sometimes it's the brand that command high price too.

get to know a few friends with the same hobby especially in SRC to guide u.

:peace:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

need to decide the size of tank together with the filtration system u are using .

brand of salt is very important as i saw some fresh water LFS packed packet of salt claiming sea salt without any brand. nobody want a unstable ph or impurities in their tank.

brand like marine environment / tropic marine are no doubt one of the best salt. but they come with higher price. corallife is great in my opinion after switching from red sea which i think it's the minimum trusted brand u should go for .

skip the floating hydrometer . give u headaches and eye strain . use a hydrometer at least . for super accuracy , use refractometer .

actually red sea have this package in a box where there are 10 kg of salt , 1 hydrometer and several testkit and addictives which i think cost around 45 dollars at one of our sponsor shop for starter.

sand will be difficult to maintain but with sand u can watch some sand dweller intrigue behaviour , pistol shrimp. for aestatic purposes . DSB works to remove nitrate in a stable system but seemingly it can accumulate undesirable toxin too if not properly maintain. as for mi , i go for the hardworking way, change water every week lor . and i have minimun sand for my viewing pleasure , seem more natural with white sandbed . it's a personal preference.

choice of skimmer will determine ur water quality to a certain extent. personally i prefer prizm because it's sleek and hang on, i have no sump . i feel a minimum of weipro series is needed . actually once upon a time i was using weipro 2213 for my 2 feet. with the correct tuning and pump, it can skim out good skimmate too.

choice of lighting is important for coral. read up more . should include ur setup wih at least a fan / chiller if u intend with coral.

cycle period depend on a lot of factor. e.g cure live rock.

otherwise after a peak of ammonia, will come a peak of nitrite, then nitrate will slowly increase . only when ammonia and nitrite zeroed, ur cycling is complete.

stock slowly . read more on the intended fishes and coral before buying .

generally in this hobby, the more exorbitant an equipment is , the better/ more durable , more effective it is ...sometimes it's the brand that command high price too.

get to know a few friends with the same hobby especially in SRC to guide u.

Thanks for your advice guys!

I just got coralife salt and some test kits yesterday~ still short of PO4.

Still waiting for a 2ft tank and skimmer.

Yup, I also prefer a sand bed. Looks nice IMO. :)

Been reading these few days.. Siong sia :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

great looking setup! Definitely better looking den mine sighz... :erm:

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member

wow.. a nice ang good looking setup bro.. hope tt ur tank will become very nice 1 dae.. btw.. ur zoos seems nice. can post a clearer pic of it? thankx..

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

• SRC Member

wa....jus look at the sump..bigger den mine man..haha....btw...what i the return pump u use n wad is the total flowrate u are looking at??...

happy reefing..

Equipments:

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

• SRC Member

LoReNsIa,

??? Zoos nice ???

They look bleached to me.

I don't think the colours are meant to be so pale.

stix,

Is yours a 2 ft tank ?

I see a fire goby but no cover.

2 of mine commit suicide untill i got a cover.

(they think they flying fish)

What lights are U using? (T5 NO?)

Some idea to make the set up more neat:

Hide the lighting wire.

Hide the glass cleaner.

Use rockscape to hide tunze.

When rearranging the rocks, plan where 2 hide

the coco tube. Then look more natural.

After that it'll be like staring at a natural sea bed liao. ;)

Note: Why skimmer not on?

stix,

Is yours a 2 ft tank ?

I see a fire goby but no cover.

2 of mine commit suicide untill i got a cover.

(they think they flying fish)

What lights are U using? (T5 NO?)

Some idea to make the set up more neat:

Hide the lighting wire.

Hide the glass cleaner.

Use rockscape to hide tunze.

When rearranging the rocks, plan where 2 hide

the coco tube. Then look more natural.

After that it'll be like staring at a natural sea bed liao. ;)

Note: Why skimmer not on?

Yes, it's a 2FT tank.

The firefish has been inside for 2 weeks plus, it don't really like to jump. :lol: I guess unless really sudden movement will make it jump.

I'm using T5 HO. 4 tubes but 1 blue burnt.

"Tunze" > you mean the powerhead or the return pipe? or both?

Skimmer not on, as I was feeding the coco worm with some plankton and need to turn it off for a while. :heh:

Maxstar81, Thanks for your advise! :D

By the way, what do you mean by bleached?

• 2 months later...

Nice :P Like ur scaping.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica