How to take care for this coral?

• SRC Member

I bought this coral called Jewel but I can't find it online, I think Jewel is not its proper name.....

Think Jewel quite common among LFS, anyone can teach me how to care for this coral? lightings, placements etc?

will provide pics if possible.....

thanks

Bad news...

A jewel coral aka goniopora,is difficult to keep considering it requiring nutrient laden water to survive.I havent tried this coral before but i noe that iantoh has kept them successfully,maybe you could do a search or PM him for advice..

Good luck..

• SRC Member

hi there jialuvgr.

The goniopora you have looks like a Goniopora Stokesii. JenNKerry or JnK on RC have had great success with this species of gonios, so perhaps you could do some searches on RC for their past gonio threads and discussions, as theres alot to learn from their experiences.

Im no expert on gonios, but i'll list some basic requirements for this particular gonio from what i know ya:

1) moderate flow- not too strong or the flow will inhibit its polyp extension, but not too weak either as the tentacles should be swaying slightly.

2) good lightings- about the same intensity needed for LPS as opposed to SPS, because too intense lights will cause bleaching.

3) occasional particulate feedings- phyto or golden pearls, either target fed over the colony or blown around the tank by water circulation. in general, anything below 50microns should be good. oyster eggs are the best foods but super ex and super high in nutrients.

Studies have shown that all orders of goniopora are not able to meet their carbon budget solely through photosynthesis, and that photosynthetic rates are positively correlated to feeding rates, so some form of feeding will be necessary, i think, for their long term survival. If your tank is large, or has a DSB, or you scrape algae off your tank's glass sides frequently, then that might prove a good supplemental food source for your gonios, and perhaps allow you to intentionally feed them less.

shall leave you with a few good gonio articles ya. do note that there are differing views to some of the findings reported in these articles on RC.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2002/invert.htm

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/r_toonen20.html

http://www.amdareef.com/news_2001fall.htm

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member
Bad news...

A jewel coral aka goniopora,is difficult to keep considering it requiring nutrient laden water to survive.I havent tried this coral before but i noe that iantoh has kept them successfully,maybe you could do a search or PM him for advice..

Good luck..

need nutrient laden waters?? hmm. =)

if thats the case... then maybe good for me. haha

• SRC Member
hi there jialuvgr.

The goniopora you have looks like a Goniopora Stokesii. JenNKerry or JnK on RC have had great success with this species of gonios, so perhaps you could do some searches on RC for their past gonio threads and discussions, as theres alot to learn from their experiences.

Im no expert on gonios, but i'll list some basic requirements for this particular gonio from what i know ya:

1) moderate flow- not too strong or the flow will inhibit its polyp extension, but not too weak either as the tentacles should be swaying slightly.

2) good lightings- about the same intensity needed for LPS as opposed to SPS, because too intense lights will cause bleaching.

3) occasional particulate feedings- phyto or golden pearls, either target fed over the colony or blown around the tank by water circulation. in general, anything below 50microns should be good. oyster eggs are the best foods but super ex and super high in nutrients.

Studies have shown that all orders of goniopora are not able to meet their carbon budget solely through photosynthesis, and that photosynthetic rates are positively correlated to feeding rates, so some form of feeding will be necessary, i think, for their long term survival. If your tank is large, or has a DSB, or you scrape algae off your tank's glass sides frequently, then that might prove a good supplemental food source for your gonios, and perhaps allow you to intentionally feed them less.

shall leave you with a few good gonio articles ya. do note that there are differing views to some of the findings reported in these articles on RC.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/dec2002/invert.htm

http://www.reefs.org/library/article/r_toonen20.html

http://www.amdareef.com/news_2001fall.htm

cheers,

ian

tks bro!

thats very good info!

• SRC Member
If yes then I must be very lucky. It blooms when lights are on. Looks healthy to me. :D

Careful when you say bloom.... This is a coral that will bloom today, melt away the next day. That why it is tough to keep, it will not tell you why....

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.