Fiji Lr

• SRC Member

Sharkbait. i have seen a couple of LFs selling Fiji and Info LR and there is a mark difference in the rocks... in my opinion, the fiji LR has more coralline algae and not much other stuff on it like other forms of algae (like bubble etc etc) and it is thus safer to get if ppl are as kiasu as me..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

That is why Fiji LR are selling for $16/kg.But from what i have seen before,Fiji LR are mostly quite big and seldom comes in the flat type.So its quite hard to scape this Fiji rocks alone.Unless you can spend the day at CF stacking the rocks to see if they fit.Of course,there is nothing wrong with buying all Fiji rocks. :)

• SRC Member

Algae problems is due to high amount of nutrients in the water.It is usually caused by high bioload and overfeeding which can be countered by a good protein skimmer and a refugium.I still do not understand why indonesian rocks or low quality LR will cause algae problem.Besides,there is no need to tear down your tank because of algae problem.

That is why Fiji LR are selling for $16/kg.But from what i have seen before,Fiji LR are mostly quite big and seldom comes in the flat type.So its quite hard to scape this Fiji rocks alone.Unless you can spend the day at CF stacking the rocks to see if they fit.Of course,there is nothing wrong with buying all Fiji rocks. :)

huh you like flat kind.. YUCK!!!! :lol::lol: I find stacking flat rocks rather artificial and fake

• SRC Member

There are some thread in RC that shows the owners having to tear down the tanks due to certain types of algaes which they cant get rid of. i think Dr Ron himself tore a few of his tanks down due to unwanted algae which he lost the battle to control. Frankly, that scares me... if Dr Ron cant control em... what about little old me? *sweats*

I think either way is ok ... depends on what the owner's objective and kiasuness.

• SRC Member

huh you like flat kind.. YUCK!!!! :lol::lol: I find stacking flat rocks rather artificial and fake

Im not talking about concrete slabs friend.Those so called flat slabs are gonna be used as a base for the corals and Fiji LR to be stacked upon. :)

Anyway,AlphaRomeo, nothing wrong with getting all Fiji LR if you are willing to spend the money. :D

• SRC Member
Hi Heckers, I am currently staying in Tampines but will be shifting to Pasir Ris soon. What about you?

I think i will go for the normal indo LR as a base but topped up and covered with Fiji LR. looks nice and cheaper...

AlfaRomeo,

i stay @ elias rd!!!

• SRC Member
Since yours is a new tank,I suggest you don't get the LR so soon.Fiji rocks are usually cured before being shipped.After you got the tank than go and get the rocks.Cycling your tank with the LR would be a better idea.

thats wad i'm thinking too

• SRC Member

I like big flat rocks. :fear: I use them extensively in my reef tank!

ALL my live rocks are big flat pieces. Except for the support rocks below them.

In fact I am looking for another 20 to 30kg more of them.

I feel the prices of liverocks have shot up to incredible amounts. However the cheapest Fiji LR I've found is from PR. Its about $12/kg there.

But no flat pieces.

The cheapest liverock (of good quality), I found at a new marine setup in Pasir Ris farm. $7/kg. But its also full of algae and not yet properly cured.

Cookie... if I may... you really have to add in more LR... the flat pieces that you have are only good for being the flat panes that help form overhangs or caves.

But you definitely need more rounded rocks to be placed on the flat pieces to achieve height and slopes and not just to place your corals on them.. as it will look too much like bedrock homes in the Flintstones or stonehedge. ;)

My 2 cents lah... if you need help for rockscaping... I'll pop over! ;)

• SRC Member
Cookie... if I may... you really have to add in more LR... the flat pieces that you have are only good for being the flat panes that help form overhangs or caves.

But you definitely need more rounded rocks to be placed on the flat pieces to achieve height and slopes and not just to place your corals on them.. as it will look too much like bedrock homes in the Flintstones or stonehedge. ;)

My 2 cents lah... if you need help for rockscaping... I'll pop over! ;)

:yeah: Hehehe managed to trick you into saying it. Just kidding! Yup I really need some help with the landscaping. I have been watching too much flintstones when young. But you must admit my reefscape looks like one happy bedrock village. :P

It would be an excellent playground for the warhammer or lord of the rings battle seige. :lol:

I have been trying to get a friend over to help me with the building of a cliff.

I want to cover up the overflow completely and build a overhanging cliff when I can putty a red chilli or sun coral below it and place low light corals there.

Sigh so many things to do so little time. I will call you up for your helping hands end Oct! :phone:

:bow::thanks:

Hi Alfa romeo,

I am staying in serangoon and has a 6X2X2.5ft tank too... you might want to view my tank for your reference... I got my rocks from somewhere (can't say here) but the rocks are very nice with good shapes for scaping.... if you are interested to view, just let me know...no problem... or sms me at 96855564