Who kept this b4

• SRC Member

i bought one from iwarna bout a year back and its still ard.. i've no experience with mandarin but imo this fella is relatively easy to keep.. mine is feeding on frozen cyclopeeze and brine shrimp.. will be grazing the liverocks at other times... really a joy to watch as it 'walks' up and down the liverocks...

HTH :peace:

Do you mean the scooter dragonet? Its not easy to keep, due to its dietary requirement, it is challenging to feed. Their dietary requirement are live food like pods and live food from sand/rocks etc. But if you are lucky enough to get one that will accept flakes or dead food, then it'll be rather easy to maintain. :lol:

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

Was feeding mine with frozen/live brine before transferring it to my main tank. Its happily swimming around all day looking for pods all the time. :) Im not sure if im right but having more LRs are better for them as more rocks = more pod = more food? Oh, they are to be kept 1 to a tank unless you get them as a pair.. :lol: They are beautiful....

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

for starters,its the best to get the fish frm a reliable LFS tt has got it into feeding mode..as "old habits die hard"..

i once got my scooter to feed on bloowworms but it went up lorry suddenly,shld be due to starvation cs the belly part very thin..the diet shld be varied..

• SRC Member

Hrmz, read that you'll need an established tank with lots of LRs for the mandarin to florish. Mine swims around the LRs looking for food among rock crevices. :)

thanks..will try feeding brineshrimps on the next one. Cos its a bottom dweller, I just drop the brineshrimps in and let the madarin scavage for it later?

What else dose it scavage for on the LR?

• 2 weeks later...
I read somewhere they eat pods...but till now im totally clueless what pods are.... :unsure:

Bro, I still believe it depend on where you buy it from, Well, I mean if the seller quarantine it well for two weeks with the right food for them, I guess you are the luckiest person to have it in your tank. Suggest to purchase at the coral farm coz they will not sell it if the fish has not been out of the quarantine tank and they are following the ISO 9000. :bow::bow::bow:

• SRC Member

For people need info of the beautiful mandarin see here:

Meleev

For newbie who has killed a mandarin dragonet, when you visit LFS. The rule of thumb for me when buying:

1. It is beautiful.

2. It is not too expensive.

Then it is going to be difficult to keep.

This is the case for mandarin dragonet, sweetlips, Bats fishes.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.