WAnna start a 2 ft

Fyn

• SRC Member
5) lightings.

HO-T5 as bro jem recommended is a great choice. should you decide to upgrade your lights, they will have a decent resale value, plus you can always add more tubes to increase your lumens. many people have had good success keeping all manners of corals under HO-T5 lightings.

Nature aquarium at balestier road sells HO-T5 sets of 3 tubes in a 3ft casing for $120 without tubes which is a pretty good deal. they come in atman light casings allowing you to easily mount it, plus prevent salt creep on the light tubes themselves.

Hi Ian,

How the T5 tubes doing?

May I just add one point which many ppl missed out when using T5 fixture. The key is a gd reflector. A gd reflector can reflect alot more lights back to the tank.

I've did some minor testing b4, ATI's reflectors is gd quality. If u intend to import their tube, no harm getting a few pieces to try also.

Abt the salt creeps. U're spots on. Salt creeps not cleaned will reduce the performance of the T5. Thus those using retrofit must always do regular maintenance.

Cheers

JC

• SRC Member
=)

i think the most stressful part is pumping money into this hobby..

well..a lil advice..

purchase the more expensive and effective equipments..

it will serve you well and give u less headaches in the near future..

from my experience..

i spent most of my money upgrading...

which is a waste of time and money..

and..

try not to trust LFS too much..

do researchs on equipments/livestock u r buying..

:)

Hope that helps someway or another

I agree on this point...i wish i had received this advise earlier. End up , thought by buying 2nd hand can save some money but never research enough, In the end, it's not something that really suit my purpose or work well.

Therefore, do your research (properly)

Once research properly done and if not sure get more opinions from more insightful bros, the next step is to dare to spend and ahve faith your equipment will work for you =)

Dare to spend more now, stops you from realising the need to upgrade later and spending more money.

Best of luck!

doing lots of research now the the fishes and all that i wanna keep so i can plan the tank set up well..

btw, i'm staying in hougang, any bros here stays near my area? and can let me drop by for a visit to see look see look? :peace:

• SRC Member
Easiest for me is to measure the length (L), breadth (B) and height (H) in cm, then multiply together and divide the total by 1000. This will tell you the volume in litres. Then divide the total litres by 3.875 to give you the volume in US gallons, or by 4.5 to give you Imperial gallons.

Example: 2 foot x 1.5 foot by 1.5 foot

in cm is 61 cm x 46 cm x 46 cm = 129,000 cubic centimeters (approx)

divide by 1000 gives you a volume of 129 litres.

divide vol in litres by 3.875 gives you a volume of 33.3 US gallons.

If you want to be quite accurate, use the internal dimensions of the tank, not the external dimensions (to conisder thickness of the glass).

ok...i got it... :lol:

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• 2 weeks later...

Hey bros,

did abit of sourcing liao... Have something to ask all of u...

Issit too ex to get the following at an estimated price of SGD 130?? (new tank)

1) 2ft x 1.5ft x 2ft main tank

2) 2ft x 1ft x 1ft sump tank

3) Pump + piping

• 11 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hi, I'm new around here :D i'm also going to setup a marine tank pretty soon. Just want to know, Bro Fyn, where did u get your tank and cabinet's prices at such a low price? mind to share it with us? Thanks :lol:

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • SRC Member
Hey bros,

did abit of sourcing liao... Have something to ask all of u...

Issit too ex to get the following at an estimated price of SGD 130?? (new tank)

1) 2ft x 1.5ft x 2ft main tank

2) 2ft x 1ft x 1ft sump tank

3) Pump + piping

Hey, I'm also looking at starting up a 2ft tank, 2 x 2tall x 1.5deep to be exact.

Where did you get a quote for such a low price? I was looking more at a tank with built-in internal filtration at the back, and have been quoted $360.00 for 8mm thick glass.

Am I getting fleeced, or is this to be expected since the tank is to be custom built?

Cheers

Julian

Hi all Qian Beis

I am a newbie and would need some advice for nano marine/reef tank setup.

I was doubtful if the livestocks will stay alive in such small tank.

Need your expertise to advice on:

- what are the necessary equipment to get, i.e. any chiller required? (as i heard/read 2ft and below do not need unless we wish to have it on our own accord which is good too)

- what sort of livestock suitable for nano tanks of this size?

- is $60 expensive for a 30*18*20cm tank? i saw in thomson plaza, they have another bigger one 30*26*31cm (H) selling at $98. Both includes the filter and light etc but i think i will probably need to change some of the stuff.

- should i just DIY the whole tank myself instead of buying the set and add on other stuff after?

- any recommendation/suggestion where to buy?

Pardon my many questions. Just excited about setting up the right way - wana minimise the killing of too many fishes in the process...

Hope to hear from your soon