New Tank Plans

dkk08

• SRC Member

Hi bros/sis,

I'm planning to upgrade to a 4ft FOWLR tank but I also wanna keep my LPS setup. What I plan to do is use my current 48"x18"x18" 6-7mm thick tank as the Sump/Refugium and get another 4ft tank for the FOWLR setup... what I wanna ask is... izzit possible to partition just 18" of the 4ft tank into a sump (where the skimmer will be) and use the other 30" as a LPS setup and at the same time share the 18" sump with the FOWLR setup?

Hope u guys can picture what I'm saying... might pose a diagram of the above soon :D

All advise/suggestions/Criticism are welcome :thanks:

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

I dun think you can squeeze a good size skimmer for 4ft into a 18" compartment with stuffs like return pumps baffle plates FR etc.

Maybe can consider placing all pumps and skimmer out-sump.

Just my 2 cents.

HTH ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Marinelife's display tank, was done in similar methods. Just that he has to sacrifice not being able to fully close the door when he have FR.

Iwarna's big display tank also incorporate a LPS refugium/sump area.

You may want to take a look.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Thanks gouldian... have been to marinelife and yes some of Henry's equipment's r out sump... never been to Iwarna too far...

Anyway I was thinking of getting a stainless stand (instead of a cabinet as my room do not have space for cabinet doors to open :erm: ) Hence I can most probably custom make the stainless steel stand to say 48"x18"x32"(H)... possible?

As for the tank I heard that tank size varies with tank thickness (either way) hence izzit possible to get a tank size of 48"x18"x18"(H) or 24"(H) with thickness of 10-12mm?

What I more concerned is izzit possible for the bottom LPS setup to share the same sump as the FOWLR setup which is on top :unsure:

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member
Thanks gouldian... have been to marinelife and yes some of Henry's equipment's r out sump... never been to Iwarna too far...

Anyway I was thinking of getting a stainless stand (instead of a cabinet as my room do not have space for cabinet doors to open :erm: ) Hence I can most probably custom make the stainless steel stand to say 48"x18"x32"(H)... possible?

As for the tank I heard that tank size varies with tank thickness (either way) hence izzit possible to get a tank size of 48"x18"x18"(H) or 24"(H) with thickness of 10-12mm?

What I more concerned is izzit possible for the bottom LPS setup to share the same sump as the FOWLR setup which is on top :unsure:

is best to have the tank done is 12mm all round..another alternative is 10mm all round but base make it 12mm... :D

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

basically, the tank makers here will make anything you want, but give them very clear instructions, especially about any holes you want drilled. Had a tanak made recently and the drilled the overflow hole too small, despite me giving them a very clear drawing with the hole size maked very clearly - anyway, we all make mistakes sometimes...

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• SRC Member
wah... bro dkk08, big project ah ??

haha sorta coz GF and parents now loving my 2ft Nano keep on encouraging me after they saw the exhibition at Bt Timah Plaza few weeks back hehe

Might have sponsor for skimmer and MHL :D

So now planning first lor... room very messy so need to plan properly before making any purchase B)

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member

Here's my bedroom layout (yes all tanks and equipments r in my room... I've been sleeping with my fishes/pets for the past 27yrs! :blink: )

The wall infront of my bed will be where the marine section is... I can only afford at most 4ft for the tank set and the lest will be for my standing fan... (unless I can get a mount on wall fan which will save me some space) Hence I dun think I've much space left for another cabinet :rolleyes:

BedRoomLayout.sized.jpg

And this is wat I've in mind for the tankset (have decide to stick with my current WI stand and coat it with multiple coats of Marine Paint and Enamel)

TankNStandPlan.sized.jpg

And this is wat I plan to do to the current 4ft tank... convert it into a sump (as it is only 6mm too thin to be the main tank)... planning to convert the right side using abt 18" as the sump (izzit enough?) and the left side abt 30" as a LPS setup...

SumpPlan.sized.jpg

Any suggestions/advise welcome :peace:

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member

mmm, yep, I see your problem. If you can afford to make a stand in 316 stainless steel that might be a good way to go as it would give you maximum space under the tank. A stand in wood would be a little more bulky, and give you less room to work underneath the tank.

for a 3 foot tank 10 mm glass should be ok. For 4 foot 10 or 12 is ok. My old 3 foot tank was 10 mm and that was OK.

• SRC Member

mmm, yep, I see your problem. If you can afford to make a stand in 316 stainless steel that might be a good way to go as it would give you maximum space under the tank. A stand in wood would be a little more bulky, and give you less room to work underneath the tank.

for a 3 foot tank 10 mm glass should be ok. For 4 foot 10 or 12 is ok. My old 3 foot tank was 10 mm and that was OK.

• SRC Member

Have decided to paint a few coat of Marine Paint and Enamel over my current WI stand (it shld last me a few yrs rite :unsure: )

Have found a few tankmakers and currently only have a quote of $255 for a 48"x18"x18" 12mm glass tank... izzit a good px? Am thinking of being greedy and go for a 24" tall tank... hmmmm :blink:

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member

dkk08, I think that $255 is OK for a 4 foot tank. My 60 x 24 x 24 5 foot tank cost me about S$590, including polished edges (which I would recommend), so yeah, I think your quote is not too bad at all.

• SRC Member

dkk08....the key to repainting the stand is to remove ALL of the corrosion, and use a good primer paint on the bare metal before applying your finishing coats. I would preoceed as follows:

1. Remove all corrosion using a wire brush wheel in an electric drill.

2. Use a rust removal chemical to remove any remaining rust and to neutralise the steel surface.

3. Wash clean with fresh water and dry thoroughly.

4. Apply a coat of a good metal primer (preferably a zinc-based steel primer)

5. Apply 3 coats of a good quality enamel paint. If your budget allows get a good quality marine paint.

If you have an unlimited budget you could use a 2-pot epoxy paint for the ultimate protection, but then if you had an unlimited budget you could build a stand in 316 stainless steel :D

• SRC Member
dkk08....the key to repainting the stand is to remove ALL of the corrosion, and use a good primer paint on the bare metal before applying your finishing coats. I would preoceed as follows:

1. Remove all corrosion using a wire brush wheel in an electric drill.

2. Use a rust removal chemical to remove any remaining rust and to neutralise the steel surface.

3. Wash clean with fresh water and dry thoroughly.

4. Apply a coat of a good metal primer (preferably a zinc-based steel primer)

5. Apply 3 coats of a good quality enamel paint. If your budget allows get a good quality marine paint.

If you have an unlimited budget you could use a 2-pot epoxy paint for the ultimate protection, but then if you had an unlimited budget you could build a stand in 316 stainless steel :D

Great advice and instructions bro... anyway I think the $ I spent on the paint will not be as much as the $ I might spent on a SS stand rite? Even thou there's more work to be done :unsure:

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member

I think a good quality SS stand will cost quite a bit more. Have you looked at possible 2nd hand cabinets and tanks in the pasar malam? Can get quite good deals from reefers upgrading or giving up especially. Also, if you are going to put it in your room, you might want to consider the heat load - ie chiller exhaust = warm room = sweaty tank viewing = lousy make out room. Might want to consider running t5s and suitable corals. unless oyu want to air con 24/7. :)

Cheers!

• SRC Member

Have done quite alot of thinking and here's wat the outcome might be (my drawings not too good but I hope u guys get the gist of it)

4ft Tank and Sump

4ftPlan.thumb.jpg

4ft Sump

4ftsumpPlan.thumb.jpg

Top view of Sump

4ftsumpPlan2.thumb.jpg

Any comments r welcome :peace:

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Ok folks I've finalise my new tank plans...

here's how it looks... :upsidedown:

2ftTanksPlus4ftSump.thumb.jpg

Finalise tank plans

I need lotsa advise on whether I can get any skimmer to fit into the "Skimmer area" and if any what brand, price and size... ;)

Of coz if there's anything not right pls critize and advise :P

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

Go for 2ft height and 2ft width. If you go for 1.5 ft width and height the glass thickness will be the same and you'll be wasting glass. A tank with 1.5ft height and width will not give you much opportunities to aquascape (Been there so I know). 10mm all round should be sufficient for a tank that size. Go for full eurobracings top and bottom to be safe.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Go for 2ft height and 2ft width. If you go for 1.5 ft width and height the glass thickness will be the same and you'll be wasting glass. A tank with 1.5ft height and width will not give you much opportunities to aquascape (Been there so I know). 10mm all round should be sufficient for a tank that size. Go for full eurobracings top and bottom to be safe.

Hey bro I wish I can go for 2ft width but there's a huge space constraints if u look at the first page... u can see how small my room is... I can go for height but den again I'm sorta working with what I've currently... only adding a new 2ft Tank (the one on the right) and converting a current 4ft tank into a sump (the bottom tank in the pic) ;)

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond