Use of filter wool

May&Bruce

• SRC Member

(...am in learning mode again...)

Just wondering how many breefers use filter wool in their filtration? There seems to be pro's and con's. Its good for filtering out excess food, loose algae and other particulate waste. But apparently it also filters out plankton and other goodies.

So what is the verdit? Good or bad? Keep using it or stop?

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• SRC Member

Some experts say that it does, and that if you have a good skimmer you dont need such a mechanica filtration. But for me, I like it as it filters out all the excess food and waste.

I replace it every two days, as it can clog up quite quickly.

I use it too. JBL woolfilter... very fine and a big bag for $8. Yes, it build up alot of detritus in it and have to clean every 2 days.

Still I find it useful. But if u are those type that didn't like cleaning it, then it will build up nitrate and clog up your coral chips / bio balls if those are deploy in the next chamber. I neglected it once due to travelling and took me hell lots of time to clean them up.

I heard some guys actually build a reflow pipe that channel all the incoming waste into the skimmer pump directly.... so that u dun have to use mechanical filter and just stick to skimmer and biological method....

In fact, it depends alot on your sump design.

• SRC Member

HAVE BEEN USING WOOL FOR THE PAST ONE & THE HALF YEAR SO FAR FIND IT NOT BAD

GOT PRIMARY WOOL AT OVER FLOW REPLACE EVERY 1 WEEK ONCE & SECONDARY FILTER WOOL AT SUM BEFORE BIOLOGICAL FILTER REPLACED 2 MONTHS ONCE

NO3 IS ALWAYS AROUND 2 TO 5 PPM USING DSB SYSTEM

HOPE THE ABOVE EXPERIENCE I HAVE IS USEFUL FOR U TO MAKE YR

DIS

• SRC Member

I have been using filter wool for years and it has served me well. Together with it i also use sponges below the filter wool layer to enhance mechanical filtration.

I do not change the filter wool every two days or so, but rinsed and cleaned them for reuse for a longer period before I replace them with new ones. So far so good.

• SRC Member

well, after 2 days it is starting to clog up and restrict the water flow down into the sump. I am too lazy to wash them! Would rather spend my time wtching the fish swimming rather than washing their s**t from the filter :o