Wrong Type Of Tank ?..

Hi Guys :)

I have been cycling my tank for 1 month already, and when I buy my fishes (damsel) yesterday, they died in about 6 hours. I have checked the PH, nitrite and Salinity. Looks ok.

My tank takes water from the bottom (Not those top flow kind)..

Question: Did I buy the wrong kind of tank !!! :cry2:

thanks...

Hi Guys :)

I have been cycling my tank for 1 month already, and when I buy my fishes (damsel) yesterday, they died in about 6 hours. I have checked the PH, nitrite and Salinity. Looks ok.

My tank takes water from the bottom (Not those top flow kind)..

Question: Did I buy the wrong kind of tank !!! :cry2:

thanks...

hey what are your water parameter like :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

nitrite 0.5mg/l

Ph 8.0

Salinity is ok

... The damsel looks ok at first. But after 5-6 hours, they are lying on the sandbed. Then they died, I got domino damsel, they did turn a bit white before dying.

nitrite 0.5mg/l

Ph 8.0

Salinity is ok

... The damsel looks ok at first. But after 5-6 hours, they are lying on the sandbed. Then they died, I got domino damsel, they did turn a bit white before dying.

Your Nitrite level is way too high. What are the other parameters like ammonia, nitrate, temperature & KH? Include salinity or SG - an OK does not tell us very much.

Hmm..

Is the surface skimmer necessary? Or I am better of getting another tank in the long run?

Just need advise.. what kind of tank is suitable? I saw a website featuring the one shown below, sure looks good..

uni_fbh.jpg

:pirate:

no surface skimmer or powerhead wont cause the fish to die rite?

a powerhead is prefered but thats not y ur fish die.

shd be the high nitrite? but damsel are so hardy that they survived when my tank turn super murky cos of an anemone.

the best is a tank with a overflow, sump with refugium. at least go for 50G n above ba if financial not constrain.......becos u will eventually be very very tempted to upgrade.

believe less then 50% of wat ppl tell u n bring it up tp 99% by confirming it urself

sorry don't think your filter media will work. Try this 1) top layer

1. wool

2. poly filter (chemical filtration)

3. bag of charcol

4. wool again

5. 7 inch of #1 corals

remove your ring and bio ball don't think this will work. My 4 ft tank started introducing fishes at about day 14, corals day 7. Now I am at day 22. Have about 12-15 fishes.

• SRC Member

silverfish:

r u suspecting an incorrect filtration system? cos i cant realli see how ur water flows into ur filtration system....

it would be a wise thing to test ammonia, nitrite n nitrate....

post cycling would mean ammonia n nitrite 0 and u will hav increasing nitrate....

did u change partial of ur water after cycling to remove some of the nitrate?

btw, no adding livestocks in bulk all at 1 time... esp for such a small tank....

it is betta to add at most 2 small fish per week....

is ur tank a 2ft including the side column?... IMO, it is more prudent not to overstock as well....

Yo dudes,

Finally the forum is up again. Just some updates. I just checked the conditions of the water yesterday.

Amonnia, Nitrite = 0 ml

Nitrate = 5 ml

Ph = 8.0

So I got a damsel, and it survived.. for 2 days already.. I think my tank is finally ready. :pinch:

Btw, how fast will the bio balls turn in nitrate factories? And will rinsing them once a while do the trick?

thanks.. : ) :thanks:

• SRC Member

You can start removing the bio-ball slowly. (e.g. removing 2 balls daily). Rinsing it won't help. It is the bacteria that grows there that convert NH3 -> NO2 -> NO3. Also, remove the coral chips slowly as well. I have the same kind of tank and it is coming to 6 months already. Initially, I have bio-ball, bio-ring and coral-chip. Now I have only filter wool, Chemipure, Rowaphos, and poly-filter.

Thanks

You can start removing the bio-ball slowly. (e.g. removing 2 balls daily). Rinsing it won't help. It is the bacteria that grows there that convert NH3 -> NO2 -> NO3. Also, remove the coral chips slowly as well. I have the same kind of tank and it is coming to 6 months already. Initially, I have bio-ball, bio-ring and coral-chip. Now I have only filter wool, Chemipure, Rowaphos, and poly-filter.

Thanks

I have been hearing a lot about this Rowapohs. Where do you get them and how much do they cost? Also, could enlighten the difference between its close "cousin", Contrapohs?

• SRC Member

silverfish, from the looks of it, your filter works by letting water into the sump from the bottom? ie the partition of the sump from the main tank area has a gap at the bottom? if so, its essentially acting as an undergravel filter, which really isn't that great a system, maybe while your tank is still new you can modify your partition? seal off the bottom and use a siphon on the top of the sump or drill a hole?

• SRC Member
sorry don't think your filter media will work. Try this 1) top layer

1. wool

2. poly filter (chemical filtration)

3. bag of charcol

4. wool again

5. 7 inch of #1 corals

remove your ring and bio ball don't think this will work. My 4 ft tank started introducing fishes at about day 14, corals day 7. Now I am at day 22. Have about 12-15 fishes.

wah... givin' advise from some1 who put in fishez in the 14th day of cyclin' & hv 12~15b fishez after 22 dayz... :whistle

• SRC Member

I have been hearing a lot about this Rowapohs. Where do you get them and how much do they cost? Also, could enlighten the difference between its close "cousin", Contrapohs?

I get the RowaPhos from our sponsor. Not sure about the close cousin....never heard of them. But before you put anything in, please test your water first.

silverfish, from the looks of it, your filter works by letting water into the sump from the bottom? ie the partition of the sump from the main tank area has a gap at the bottom? if so, its essentially acting as an undergravel filter, which really isn't that great a system, maybe while your tank is still new you can modify your partition? seal off the bottom and use a siphon on the top of the sump or drill a hole?

Hmm.. Drilling a hole ?? Won't that break the glass? I have power drill and stuff, but how do you do it .. :nc: