Do i need a protein skimmer?

• SRC Member

Yes you need to have it because skimmer is 1 of the most important equipment in marine keeping. If you can afford expensive skimmer go for it you. Search the product review for skimmer maybe you canhave a rough idea of which one is suitable for your tank. :peace:

oh ,, they are in CM .. and i know of this HOF .. it also have the function of a protein skimmer. Which means there are 2 functions. It cost 34 bucks. what do you guys think about it ?

talking about the jebo hang on skimmer/ filter? :peace:

personally i dun think that works efficiently as compare to other.

but should be good enough if u are just keeping fishes for ur tank size .

just my preference . :)

invest in a good skimmer and u will have less trouble in the later stage

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

talking about the jebo hang on skimmer/ filter? :peace:

personally i dun think that works efficiently as compare to other.

but should be good enough if u are just keeping fishes for ur tank size .

just my preference . :)

invest in a good skimmer and u will have less trouble in the later stage

;) agreed that...oresle, you be spending more $$ and time couping on these issues...get a good skimmer...overkilling it and spend your time admiring your tank! :D

• SRC Member

Guys . those protein skimmer u all talk about is external or internal ? cause if i use internal. then the space in my tank is even smaller. But, for external. I dunno how the thing is going to work. For the JEBO HOF. i think that is more suitable. But i dunno the effieciency of it. Sorry guys. I know i sounded real dumb . haha . but i already try reading alot alot of it. And right infront of me now is 5 books about marine fishes ! . And Violence, i know abt the risk of nitrites in my tank. But will growing the algae helps ? will anyone recommend doing that?

• SRC Member

U might wanna look at the prizm skimmers. But more importantly, what do you intend to keep in this tank? If it's gonna be mainly softies, some LPS and fishes, then u can realistically do without a skimmer..but on one big condition....u limit your fish load to only 2-3 small fishes (don't even think about putting tangs in that tank).

Your tank volume would come up to about 11-12 gallons and at that tank volume and size, u can only afford to keep that 2-3 small fishes for two main reasons, firstly the bioload, secondly will be the issue of space and territory for the fishes.

Personally, if i were you, I'd go with a pair of clowns (false or true..ur choice) and maybe a small goby if you want variety....and that's it....I'd do without the skimmer and do a 10-15% water change weekly. At that tank volume, 10% only amounts to 1 gallon of water. Doing the water change will be pretty easy.

Again, as a disclaimer, i'm not against skimmers and definately see their benefits in a reef tank but I always advocate the fact that this hobby doesn't need to be an expensive one....especially when u venture into the nano territory. I've started tanks with less than 200 bucks and maintained it fine.....(before the upgrade bug hit me :P) and find that around here, ppl tend to get a lil caught up in the "high tech" wizardry of things and forget that the core success in this hobby is more husbandry and research as opposed to solid equipment....but no doubt...if u lack the latter, the equipment will save ur butt many a times.... ;)

It's good to see that ur reading up as much as you can on this....keep it up...perhaps this site might help u more in your nano venture

www.nano-reef.com

U should be able to find some useful information there.....

cheers :)

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

yeah .. clown fish is what i will be adding in. i am trying to limit the number to fises to put in . as u said. the bioload pose a threat. nahz .. i did not consider about tanks. all i intend to have inside is small fishes, live rocks and anemones. Whats LPS anyway ? i still can't figure that out! haha. 10.53 gallon is the amount of water i can fill up to. Maybe i should share my plans with u guys. Let me know if some of the species can't be together.

Clownfish X 2

Royal Gramma X 1

Star Fish X 1

Cleaner X 3

and 2 firefish.

Is that too many? or is there space for more ?

Definitely i will check out that prizm skimmer. C328 has it ?

Seems like dere's too many fish liao...

LPS are Large Polyp Scleractian aka stony corals..

Most ppl keep these...but i advice u to try softies b4 LPS and anemones are a no-no..unless u can maintain them well if not when they die..u can say sayonara to ur tank liao

• SRC Member

I just read a website. And it says i can use biological filtration. which means i don use a skimmer. but it involve live sand and live rocks. It is another alternative to me. But with little knowledge of it, is it possible that i have a skimmer while also using live rock and live sand >? Will too many cooks spoils the soup ?