Top Filter: Arrangements

dankoo

Luo Han... a freshwater fish known for a swollen head and a swollen price tag because its suppose to give owners winning 4D numbers. :D

Anyway, overhead filters are not recommended for marine tanks. They are inefficient and give you long term problems. You should set up your tank right from the start. I suggest reading the beginners guide in the this forum done by bawater.

• SRC Member

sorry just to hijack a bit.

any chance of converting the top filter into a refugium/ algae scrubber setup? Thinking of using my old set and mount it over my two foot, and use the spillover light from my PCs to light up the fuge. Any comments? Feasible?

sorry just to hijack a bit.

any chance of converting the top filter into a refugium/ algae scrubber setup? Thinking of using my old set and mount it over my two foot, and use the spillover light from my PCs to light up the fuge. Any comments? Feasible?

Don't think that it is feasible. The overhead filter should be quite shallow. No space if you want algae for nutrient export.

• 3 years later...
  • SRC Member

hahaha..the previous post already tell u that too shallow and no space for algae growth...for algae growth u need space for growth and lights...

biological filter may seems interesting...but the fact is that it's not that easy as u think.

not like getting a batch of macroalgae can lower ur nitrate overnight or days..

u need a suitable place and condition for it to grow and for a tank with bioload...a few amount of algae is like dropping a pin into a big sea... :lol:

u need lots of them and with them growing...to remove nitrate with that is not feasible becos of ur nitrate level is already high...the rate of removal for biological filter is really low...not as wat u think it is...

or else everyone wun buy FR and denitrator...then FR and denitrator companies will collapse...

a refugium is more like nutrient balancing than exporting...itself too contributes to bioload and nitrate in the tank... :lol:

if u have high nitrate problem..i suggest that u do a water change first...then use chemical medium to remove and at the first time build a refugium to maintain the level and control...

get a hang-on filter...u can easily find one in any fishshop....it's better than getting a overhead filter...

if one not enough then get two lor...cheers.

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

haha. rx.. seems to see u reply actively in the middle of the night always.

anyway, OHF smaller than hangon filters mehz? Since both provide mechanical filtration, whats the diff?

ha. the idea is cos i lazy to drill and pipe and ... than why searching the option of a converting filter into refugium.

Just share my experience. I am using big hangon filter as 'Refugium'. Even it produces many popecod to my main tank, but i still feel get a sump under the main tank is the best. hangon filter cannot removed away the dust on the water surface.

• SRC Member

:lol: hahaha...it's true but different tanks have different limitations esp. for nano tanks. :D

and also the limitation of the space. i dun know if anyone saw this hang-on skimmer intented for freshwater before or not. it's the same design as normally hang-on powerfilter.

it's bigger than normal hang-on. just some guide if u intent to get one. :lol:

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

Just share my experience. I am using big hangon filter as 'Refugium'. Even it produces many popecod to my main tank, but i still feel get a sump under the main tank is the best. hangon filter cannot removed away the dust on the water surface.

a sump will be able to remove dust on water surface?

sorry, no idea how a sump works fully yet

rx, any idea whats the brand? the biggest i see now is a jebo one

I dont see why you cannot use the OHF as a mini refugium.......choice of macro algae is key....I have chaeto. Mangrove pods, in mine.....(not a OHF).dont think you will have space for coral chips, charcoal....as you need to provide space for growth and 24/7 lightings

vipersig.jpg

• SRC Member

normal sump setup the overflow is for surface skimming. think it will be cheaper if u just buy a local made tank and convert it into a refuigm, you will have more space and the tank is very cheap to make. you might also find problem with lighting with a OHF.