My 1st 1.5ft Nano Diary

nkh

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bro, your bubble doesn't look 'micro' in the pic. Looks sparsely populated with larger bubble though. Doesn't seem right. Did u try to regulate the air intake? try adding those air valve from normal air pump, can help to control the airbubble size slightly.

Nice setup though. Hope u add rowaphos and carbon , can't see if it is in your filter. If u dun add anti-phosphate during cycling, it will be harder to get rid of it from your sandbed and algae will bloom in a couple of months.

The heatsink application is great. I have the same thing put on my hangon filter.

Aluminium diecast wont oxidise that easily. It usually have a clear anodised coating to maintain it, try not to scrub it though. Just rinse under warm water w/o the fan.

For other reefers: Yes, u can get it at SLS or SLT. If u want 'higher' performance, use copper heatsink... it has better heat transfer efficiency. Get those with attachment for fan is better. The best cooler is still Iceprobe. for nano Work similarly but it has piezo electric cooling...

By the way, for those plug it from CPU, pls clean away the thermal 'pad' or glue from the heatsink b4 using. Its all chemical on the pads, wont do good for fish....

• SRC Member

it could be the pump tt u are using....wad is the flowrate of ur pump??...

cos a pump tt is slightly overkill for weipro skimmers will do gd n thus dosent need to hav a air pump to increase the bubble density..

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

Very interesting to see a heat sink used here. It is even more interesting to see it was used submerged in water. It is even amazing to see that it pull the temp down by so much.

The heatsink are composite materials to transfer heat from one source to the heatsink and further ventilated by the attached fan. It will not rust. Probably the screw used to attach the fan may.

Point of interest here is that heat transfer has to be from a higher temperature to a low one. Since the water itself is not very much of a high heat source, I really suspect the effectiveness of the heatsink in this case. If the temperature is pull down by such extend, it will be from the fan, coupled by the vent of the heatsink, and running water of the filter it sits on. i.e improved evaporative cooling.

One test point is that if heat sink temp is same as water temp, or lower, heatsink will not be effective at all.

Using the heat sink on ballast or high heat source may be better, given the heat can go outside the tank.

Welcome to SRC family anyway.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Update of heatsink application,

The previous temperature was taken with the application of hangon filter, lights on for a few hrs and running of the PH for the skimmer and on a rainy day.

But during this few days the temp hover at around 28c and of course after adding another PH for water circulation.

Finding is: Not as efficent as blowing the fan over the water surface.

Pro is: The water evaporation rate is lower than blowing the fan across the water surface. <_<

Conculsion: Well not really effective in keeping the temp down for such a small tank by using the heat sink. Neverthless at least the temp dun go pass 30c will do for me unless keeping a reef tank. :P

• 3 weeks later...
Update of heatsink application,

The previous temperature was taken with the application of hangon filter, lights on for a few hrs and running of the PH for the skimmer and on a rainy day.

But during this few days the temp hover at around 28c and of course after adding another PH for water circulation.

Finding is: Not as efficent as blowing the fan over the water surface.

Pro is: The water evaporation rate is lower than blowing the fan across the water surface. <_<

Conculsion: Well not really effective in keeping the temp down for such a small tank by using the heat sink. Neverthless at least the temp dun go pass 30c will do for me unless keeping a reef tank. :P

just my 2 cents worth

using the heat sink will not lower the temperature temperature of the water (inside your tank) unless of course the temperature of the water is above room temperature (32 degress celcius +- yes that means not putting the heat sink there or the tank without the fan would do more good than putting that heat sink there.) :o

what the heat sink does do is bring the temperature of the tank to your current room temperature at an increased rate. (can't remember which law of thermodynamics but anyway, transfer of energy will flow from the higher temperature to lower temperature)

the reason why the water temperature is lower when using a fan blowing directly is because of the energy being transfered away from the water (due to an increased evapouration rate of the water).

just a suggestion perhaps is you could try spraying some water on your heat sink and let that evapourate it should bring down the temperature more than when just using the fan. (but you have to keep the heat sink moist all the time don't really think its worth all that trouble anyway :) )

just my 2 cents worth

using the heat sink will not lower the temperature temperature of the water (inside your tank) unless of course the temperature of the water is above room temperature (32 degress celcius +- yes that means not putting the heat sink there or the tank without the fan would do more good than putting that heat sink there.) :o

what the heat sink does do is bring the temperature of the tank to your current room temperature at an increased rate. (can't remember which law of thermodynamics but anyway, transfer of energy will flow from the higher temperature to lower temperature)

the reason why the water temperature is lower when using a fan blowing directly is because of the energy being transfered away from the water (due to an increased evapouration rate of the water).

just a suggestion perhaps is you could try spraying some water on your heat sink and let that evapourate it should bring down the temperature more than when just using the fan. (but you have to keep the heat sink moist all the time don't really think its worth all that trouble anyway :) )

do agree with u, have since dismatle the heatsink, now using the fan to cool down the tank. Everyday losing around 1.5L of water.

• 2 weeks later...

And you bought a plastic container and turned it into a hangon sump. You are very resourceful! I was thinking about it the whole yesterday when I was at Ikea... I even thought about stacking some of the smaller containers... lol

Keep it up, where did you buy your LR? Was it cured or uncured? I am looking for some high quality cured LR for my tank coz I wanna avoid the smelly part.

Pls advice :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

And you bought a plastic container and turned it into a hangon sump. You are very resourceful! I was thinking about it the whole yesterday when I was at Ikea... I even thought about stacking some of the smaller containers... lol

Keep it up, where did you buy your LR? Was it cured or uncured? I am looking for some high quality cured LR for my tank coz I wanna avoid the smelly part.

Pls advice :)

The container idea was stolen from bro jonathan 81. Didnt seek his approval thou. hope he dun mind.

The rock i bought was not cured, it is actually very dirty. I just employ some(5 to be exact) turbo snail to help out in cleaning them. They did a great job but they poo a lot. While curing the rock, smelly process is quite unavoidable but to reduce it u can add some powerhead to help in the circulation to reduce the smelly.

How much did you pay for your uncured? Where u bought them? I heard the cured ones are a lot more expensive and lesser hitchickers... you think worth it? Since I've already gotten the warning sign from my family after introducing 2 small (about the size of a large handphone) uncured LR into my back compartments. Kinda smelly but only for 1 day. I quickly buy some lavender oil for the Lamp Berger... or else surely kena fry one :nuke:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

And tell me more about your LED night light... I am kinda interested, but no hood to fix. See my latest setup (still might change due to new equipments).

post-69-1140929538.jpg

Jsut wondering how much heat the LED releases especially the illumination surface. Since I do not have a hood, I'm thinking of pasting the LED onto the sides of my tank. Meaning putting some adhesive on the light surface and slamp it onto my glass tank. You think that will work?

the front side of the LED is rounded so i dun think its possible. The led give out very little heat almost unnoticable.

For sticking of the LED light i think u have to improvise a way. Cant think of any at this moment. The fitting is waterproof so dropping into water is ok.

• 2 weeks later...

After so long of cycling the tank. Added some easy corals to start with. DUn think can see much of them from this picture. Added 1 green mushies, 1 purple mushies, 2 normal zoos and dunno wats the ID coral. appreciate if some1 can help. Its the green color piece in the middle behind the zoo.

post-69-1141906451.jpg