filters battles

hi all, just want some feedback/comments.

i've been successfull with IOS for over 7 years. now tempting to buy a nisso 3 ft (curved infront). been wondering ..............

anyone using canister filters or trickle overhead filters?

fyi, me intend to set FOWLR.

I need your feedback/comments/bombardment or whatever b4 i proceed

on the projects. :D . also pls recommend the brands/model no./price.

really appreciate them.thanks in advance. B)

• SRC Member

Only if u have no choice but to go with canisters then,

can't go wrong with ehiem-well built & lasting.+ the self prime function is a life saver on the newer models :D -Fluval another brand(if u can get a good deal)

those other brands like resun/jebo/astro usually quite cheap- but personally i don't quite like drinking tank water when u do a manual prime.:huh:*suck*suck*

canisters do well to process ammonia & nirites if u get the correct size- thus u end up with the final product of nitrates that u have to deal with. Although with a DSB & enough LR should balance out. Or frequent water changes(which u need to do if FO- cause u will end up overstocking)

Also depends on what u use the canister for- mechanical/bio/chemical or all 3.- no problems on using it as mechanical just that have to clean often.

i just use ceramic in a ehiem 2235(cause the ecco model are quite cheap). & because its setup as a bio filter i dun clean often(every 3mths). i run another 2213 with floss for mech- (that have to clean every 2-3wks). 1 internal filter for chemical filtration(if i need to use) & 1x powerhead for circulation.

• SRC Member

hi,

i'm using a 3 ft nisso tank n a eheim 2235. like wat brandon had said. it does well for ammonia n nitrites but u'll be left wif loads of nitrate to take care of... i'm having a hard time getting rid of the nitrates... :angry: other dan that, i dun hv any probs at all.... :rolleyes:

oh ya, becos the nisso has the plastic trimming on top, u'll probably hv to saw off some parts for the pipe dat connects to ur canister...

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

imo, overhead filters will take up space which are meant for the lamp hoods for reef setup. But I guess it would be okay for FOWLR tanks since optimal lighting is not crucial.

Other than that could be aesthetiques...but then to each his own. :unsure:

• SRC Member

I have a Ehiem 2215 for my 2 ft with a overhead filter system.. Both of them works well together.. no complains.. Modified ehiem with coral chips, carbon medium + poly filter. Top consist of poly filter, coralife nitrate controller, carbon, bio rings.

• 2 weeks later...