Clownfish Died In The Hands Of Bubble Coral

Merlion

My medium sized clownfish died coz got stuck in the jelly like substance of my bubble coral during the night. :cry2: I guess it was too close to the stinging tentacles of the coral and thereby got "embraced" by the tentacles. When I on the lights, the left part of the clownfish was embedded in the coral while the other part was not. I had to gently release the dead fish from the bubble coral grasp and it was more than willing to let it go. The dead fish body, especially the head was engulfed in "glue". :eyebrow:

I'm just wondering if the rest of the members here had encountered such situation. And just out of curiousity, would Bubble Coral harm small fishes?

My medium sized clownfish died coz got stuck in the jelly like substance of my bubble coral during the night. :cry2: I guess it was too close to the stinging tentacles of the coral and thereby got "embraced" by the tentacles. When I on the lights, the left part of the clownfish was embedded in the coral while the other part was not. I had to gently release the dead fish from the bubble coral grasp and it was more than willing to let it go. The dead fish body, especially the head was engulfed in "glue". :eyebrow:

I'm just wondering if the rest of the members here had encountered such situation. And just out of curiousity, would Bubble Coral harm small fishes?

I suppose your clownfish was not hosting the bubble previously?

The sweeping tentacles of the bubble coral can become very extended during the night. Might have stung your clownfish severely before your clown could host the bubble?

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Unlikely the bubble will sting fishes and I m not saying dun have but chances very low

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

• SRC Member

My maroon clownfish which is still alive is hosting on my bubble coral. (I dun keep anemone)

IME, the clownfish should be already dead and like most fish that died, it is covered by a mucus.

I guess it become food for the bubble.

• SRC Member

I guess your clown fish is dead or sick before the bubble coral devour it.

Basically, clown fish is also like a normal fish, they can be stung by any coral. The only difference is that clown produce a layer of sugar substance mucus coating around its body. This layer acts like an "invisible" shield, the coral does not know that there is a fish around its hunting premises, therfore not killing the fish. If the fish is sick or have some skin damaged, the coral will be able to sting them since the protective layer is damaged as well.

Hope you understand my "England" ... :P

The clownfish was eating well during the day of its death. During the early part of that night, it was hiding at the back of the tank where there are a lot of rocks. It usually won't stay there for long and will linger around the area where the bubble coral reside. This has been it's practice for so long.

I guess, it must be my fault coz I forgot to on the night lights and as such the fish could not see properly & bumped into the bubble coral.

The clownfish was eating well during the day of its death. During the early part of that night, it was hiding at the back of the tank where there are a lot of rocks. It usually won't stay there for long and will linger around the area where the bubble coral reside. This has been it's practice for so long.

I guess, it must be my fault coz I forgot to on the night lights and as such the fish could not see properly & bumped into the bubble coral.

if that's your concern get a timer plug.

its not too X, n save you headaches when u r not at home.

digital one (which is noiseless) will set u abt $40.

analog one will be ard $20+.