Safety Concern!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Acanthurus pyroferus, if you are so confident that BROs are not deadly.... I will be most glad to buy some for you on my account... I think most of the reefers here will be glad to buy all the BROs they can find for you too....

I figured u have no fear of total heart failure because you probably don't have one in the first place.. sorry if I sounded blunt but please note too that we have quite a lot of newbies coming in asking people for advice. AT and gang are trying their best to prevent mortality incidents from happening should some newbie buy some BROs w/o knowing their potential to kill...

I hope you see where we are coming from... This is not a conquest of who has the most knowledge and who sees Discovery Channel the most...

BTW, AVA do ban animals that are toxic and lethal... not just endangered animals.... The shop that I mentioned earlier, was raided for this reason. I asked the owner today and he said yup, AVA told him its illegal alright...

I guess you mean this light heartedly coz even if you were Arnold Schwarzeneger, you'll be dead within a matter of minutes if there is no immediate medical attention given to keep your heart and lungs functioning artifically. I wouldn't want my chest cavity being cut open just for a pair of hands massaging my heart!

;)

• SRC Member
Acanthurus pyroferus, if you are so confident that BROs are not deadly.... I will be most glad to buy some for you on my account... I think most of the reefers here will be glad to buy all the BROs they can find for you too....

I figured u have no fear of total heart failure because you probably don't have one in the first place.. sorry if I sounded blunt but please note too that we have quite a lot of newbies coming in asking people for advice.  AT and gang are trying their best to prevent mortality incidents from happening should some newbie buy some BROs w/o knowing their potential to kill... 

I hope you see where we are coming from...  This is not a conquest of who has the most knowledge and who sees Discovery Channel the most...

BTW, AVA do ban animals that are toxic and lethal... not just endangered animals.... The shop that I mentioned earlier, was raided for this reason.  I asked the owner today and he said yup, AVA told him its illegal alright...

seamonkee , I have kept a BR before and I am not a newbie in this field. I would gladly welcome any reefers who would want to buy me one or several as I love these creatures! If you could get me the Box Jellyfish I'd be more then happy to receive it or the deadly cone shell if you could fine me one at any time. My arms are wide open :lol: By the way these are deadly sea creatures in the sea "only" and not the most venomous in our planet. Try and watch more discovery and read more books. ;) Advise this to newbies because I am certainly not one.

What's the point you're trying to make? It's cool to keep dangerous creatures?

Didn't you read about the recent home raids by AVA about banned creatures that shouldn't be kept as pets? And that's just star tortoises and skinks!

Check this out!

• SRC Member
I guess you mean this light heartedly coz even if you were Arnold Schwarzeneger, you'll be dead within a matter of minutes if there is no immediate medical attention given to keep your heart and lungs functioning artifically. I wouldn't want my chest cavity being cut open just for a pair of hands massaging my heart!

;)

yes , it's a light hearted joke AT , no pun intended as I am more then well aware of poisons here. ;)

• SRC Member
What's the point you're trying to make? It's cool to keep dangerous creatures?

Didn't you read about the recent home raids by AVA about banned creatures that shouldn't be kept as pets? And that's just star tortoises and skinks!

Check this out!

AT , i'm not trying to make a point here but I'm well aware and I'm not a newbie in this. The artical states specifically on reptiles with no mention on marine lifeforms. I called AVA and they don't even have a proper list of deadly marine creatures on hand or that they're banned at this point. They say they will get back to me at seems and lets hear what they say.

• SRC Member

Really... Acanthurus pyroferus... I will make sure it's banned then...

I seriously think you shouldn't be advocating others to keep dangerous pets even though you are confident of keeping one... Mistakes and accidents CAN happen due to one's over-confidence and pride...

Thanks too for advising me to read up more and see more discovery channels... Where I work, I am surrounded by tons of them... Will discuss this with AVA...

Let me remind you again... THIS IS NOT A CONQUEST OF WHO KNOWS THE MOST.... AT and gang are doing all these for the sake of educating the others esp the newbies... what you are doing is seriously undermining the objectives of this club and misleading the newbies...

Hope you seriously consider and think things through before posting anything...

• SRC Member
Really... Acanthurus pyroferus... I will make sure it's banned then...

I seriously think you shouldn't be advocating others to keep dangerous pets even though you are confident of keeping one... Mistakes and accidents CAN happen due to one's over-confidence and pride...

Thanks too for advising me to read up more and see more discovery channels... Where I work, I am surrounded by tons of them... Will discuss this with AVA...

Let me remind you again... THIS IS NOT A CONQUEST OF WHO KNOWS THE MOST.... AT and gang are doing all these for the sake of educating the others esp the newbies... what you are doing is seriously undermining the objectives of this club and misleading the newbies...

Hope you seriously consider and think things through before posting anything...

by the way , seamonkee i'm not encouraging nor am i saying it is alright and safe for newbies to keep these creatures as thats your job and AT and his gang to do so as you say for the purpose of this club. Your remarks seem very blunt and i was just merely letting our reefers know that i have had experince keeping a Blue Ring with no bites and keeping all the necessary precautions taken in this "banned" species as you say. ;) Over confidence with too much pride ? I think my expertise is what i have above all else over here. :D

• SRC Member

by the way , seamonkee i'm not encouraging nor am i saying it is alright and safe for newbies to keep these creatures as thats your job and AT and his gang to do so as you say for the purpose of this club. Your remarks seem very blunt and i was just merely letting our reefers know that i have had experince keeping a Blue Ring with no bites and keeping all the necessary precautions taken in this "banned" species as you say. ;) Over confidence with too much pride ? I think my expertise is what i have above all else over here. :D

seamonkee , I have not done anything wrong by stating what I know and I am in no way undermining this club's forum or misleading newbies in any way. If they feel they need more information on this particular species they're more then free to write me or is that banned by the club as well? We're all grown ups here but if you feel that I undermined you in some way then I suggest you not use the club as a shield. ;) AT , thanks for letting me write in and I wish SRC the best in it's future endeavours to come. I'm outta here! :peace:

Ah come on guys, let's not get our knickers all knotted up... ;)

Acanthurus has recently made it clear enough that he didn't mean to mislead newbies. Seamonkee... you have made your point and so have I about not taking the warnings & information given out too light-heartedly.

I am sure newbies who read this thread will see that BROs are not to be messed with. Perhaps Acanthurus does have some experience with keeping BROs (perhaps even he is a curator of some sorts with the zoo or underwater world? The word 'expertise' can be clarified furthre though! ;) )

AT

damm bros haha:) nope haven't jumped out of my tank yet & thanks for the advise. might just take it out of the main tank & put it into another tank just to be safe. curious about what it eats though; i had it or more than a month already & it seems to just like those coral food solutions, haven't seen it eat pellet foods or anything; although interestingly dead fishes have a habit of just 'disappearing...'

btw AT if you are coming over tonight bring your own bags/containers for the clam & cauli.

• SRC Member
Ah come on guys, let's not get our knickers all knotted up... ;)

Acanthurus has recently made it clear enough that he didn't mean to mislead newbies. Seamonkee... you have made your point and so have I about not taking the warnings & information given out too light-heartedly.

I am sure newbies who read this thread will see that BROs are not to be messed with. Perhaps Acanthurus does have some experience with keeping BROs (perhaps even he is a curator of some sorts with the zoo or underwater world? The word 'expertise' can be clarified furthre though! ;) )

AT

AT , I apologise if I seem to know it all to who may have come across this thread and the AVA has responded to me regarding the Blue Ring Octopus which is banned for sure! ;) I'm into keeping dangerous sea animals as they fascinate me but I don't want to encourage anyone or newbies to this for sure without proper knowledge. :)

damm bros haha:) nope haven't jumped out of my tank yet & thanks for the advise. might just take it out of the main tank & put it into another tank just to be safe. curious about what it eats though; i had it or more than a month already & it seems to just like those coral food solutions, haven't seen it eat pellet foods or anything; although interestingly dead fishes have a habit of just 'disappearing...'

btw AT if you are coming over tonight bring your own bags/containers for the clam & cauli.

????

What clam? What cauli? Did you mistake me for someone else?

Anyway, seriously, you should not buy livestock without knowing as much as you can about it. Consider yourself VERY LUCKY then that the BRO did not hurt you or your loved ones.

If you did some research, you would know that octopuses are predators. They will hunt down every fish, crab, clam, shrimp down in your tank to feed their voracious appetite.

They are only meant for a species only tank.

If you do intend to keep the BRO, put a cover on your tank as they are known to climb out of tanks. You definitely DON'T want your family members to step on it or your pet dog or cat near it.

If you want to fish it out... I suggest wearing a thick rubber glove and be quick with a net, just to be safe.

My 2 cents,

AT

• SRC Member

AT, my sincere apologies as I might have slightly overreacted...

Acanthurus pyroferus, no hard or sore feelings, k? Different people have different opinions and that's how we learn... from each other's point of view....

Dun want to see u "quitting" this club just over a small matter... "Squabbles" here common in here and anyway, I must admit it was a good debate we all have...

So, shall we all agree and close this chapter and move on?

Personally, I learnt more about the BROs from this thread as well... <Thanks, AT for the enriching talk about BRO toxins...>

• SRC Member
AT, my sincere apologies as I might have slightly overreacted...

Acanthurus pyroferus, no hard or sore feelings, k? Different people have different opinions and that's how we learn... from each other's point of view....

Dun want to see u "quitting" this club just over a small matter... "Squabbles" here common in here and anyway, I must admit it was a good debate we all have...

So, shall we all agree and close this chapter and move on?

Personally, I learnt more about the BROs from this thread as well... <Th

Squabbles are common but don't take it too hard you guys! :D It's just great to see so many experienced reefers here and be able to learn from one another. :D

Venomous and poisonous are 2 very different terms. While a creature like the a viper is venomous...it is not poisonous..you can cook it and eat it & you will not die. While pufferfish are poisonous...they are not venomous...as they have no way to inject venom anyway.

I'm not in the least surprised that BRO octopi are banned here...like what is'nt? The so called permits that are said to be issued are not even made available to the general public. That is why there are so many smuggling cases. Even captive bred animals have to be smuggled. Kinda ridiculous if you ask me. This is what coercion leads to...a black market. <_<

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/