Chaeto care

Hi FuEL,

Thanks for your reply.

I am using de-ionised water for my water top up and also rowas phos to remove phosphate and silicate. It seems the diatoms that smothers the chaeto will eventually grow into green hairy algae. Is it normally for chaeto to have such growth on it?

Regards,

Corsair

Hey,Corsair....I got a batch of chaeto a month ago from guy in forum, had 75% of that in my refugium (24 hrs 2x two feet T-5 , 6500k) and the the rest into my "natural light" , near the window mangrove planter.Any-how the ones in my refugium doubled in mass as I keep a good flow runnning thru them.. as compared to the "natural light" ones ,which are greener and strands are fatter! but i dont get that same mass in growth.These are resting on my shallow sand bed with good flow as well,I use DI water for my salt mix, and as I tend to over stock/overfeed...alway had a high phosphates reading!My chaeto are doing very well indeed. (in same refugium, I have some ulva,red grapes - and an octopus! deviating!!!.......advice keep longer photo period, good flow over the chaeto.I anchored mine with clean un-used satay sticks!Keep herbivores away -esp.urchins

vipersig.jpg

Hey,Corsair....I got a batch of chaeto a month ago from guy in forum, had 75% of that in my refugium (24 hrs 2x two feet T-5 , 6500k) and the the rest into my "natural light" , near the window mangrove planter.Any-how the ones in my refugium doubled in mass as I keep a good flow runnning thru them.. as compared to the "natural light" ones ,which are greener and strands are fatter! but i dont get that same mass in growth.These are resting on my shallow sand bed with good flow as well,I use DI water for my salt mix, and as I tend to over stock/overfeed...alway had a high phosphates reading!My chaeto are doing very well indeed. (in same refugium, I have some ulva,red grapes - and an octopus! deviating!!!.......advice keep longer photo period, good flow over the chaeto.I anchored mine with clean un-used satay sticks!Keep herbivores away -esp.urchins

Hi Keithtanbb,

Thanks for your advice.

Is there a need to harvest the chaeto growth regularly?

just my method (after 1 month trial and no error so far......hopefully) I plan to harvest half of this next week, BTW I push all the chaeto to the front . so not as dense as it looks.Would say the 24/7 photoperiod is working well for me, get some brownish stuff growing on glass, but can live with that.

post-6-1137730111.jpg

vipersig.jpg

these are grown next to a window (in my mangrove planter-I design it! after 6 months contemplation!) strands are thicker, but dont get much growth -mass wise.got them just lying on the shallow sandbed-

deviating-----Some red mangroves and Api-api putih (Avicennia alba) pods that i am experimenting on ....these are faster in sprouting...trick to mangrove, spray the top - simulating rain......they seems to love it

post-6-1137730395.jpg

vipersig.jpg

like i mentioned, dont keep herbivores in the same place, as chaeto's...no snails, no urchins (as advised by my chaeto supplier,,,,hehe...keep good flow, good lighting especially,and pretty soon the amphipods will be eating up the brown stuffs !!

post-6-1137730627.jpg

vipersig.jpg

• SRC Member
like i mentioned, dont keep herbivores in the same place, as chaeto's...no snails, no urchins (as advised by my chaeto supplier,,,,hehe...keep good flow, good lighting especially,and pretty soon the amphipods will be eating up the brown stuffs !!

Wah...good to see that the chaeto are growing so well!!!

hey !CKS B) , like the mangroves? :yeah: ....yes Corsair you would have to trim the "overgrown" chaeto to make room, after all in One and a half month , it will double in size! like mine did.I just split the chaeto into 3 parts-didn't expect it to grow that fast( any additional will probably feed them to my main tank crtitters :idea: ) 1 part of them went into my "planted tank' alongside my growing caulerpa algae-(these receive onlly 14 hrs photoperiods ) http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41578&st=15

vipersig.jpg