Mantis Shrimp

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

yes i used to keep mantis when i first started marines. Very interesting creatures, especially when they attack their food. I used to throw cockroaches, lizards in as well.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

It's not easy to come by in most LFS. You can try placing an order with your familiar LFS. Or you can leave me with your contact number, I might be able to get one for you but no guarantee.

I have three in my office and its amazing how they capture their prey and feed. A little cruel but damn interesting. One molted just a few weeks ago and its colour bacame brighter. I kept one with my lions and things are okay for awhile now but the other kills almost anything that gets its tank. Try the LFS at lavender:- Reborn aquarium. *they never quarantine their fish so be warned. :evil::evil::evil:

• SRC Member
Saw Reborn having few last week, about 4".. Dont see anymore yesterady.

I'm one of the fanatics, all my mantis was from R*B**N... last week i bought 2 :yeah: this morning get another one and only big mantis.... now no more liao got to wait till their next shipment... lucky i go down early :yeah::yeah: ....

• SRC Member

I kept 2 in a 2 ft tank.... dunno whether it is too cramp... :blink: , i had a Lion in the tank too.... so far ok.... :lol: , but tonight i'm going to put the new big mantis into the tank... dunno whether my Lion will survive :( I think it can also kept with stone fish n eels..., but tats my personal opinion :huh: , dun sabo me hor <_<

• SRC Member
I kept 2 in a 2 ft tank.... dunno whether it is too cramp...  , i had a Lion in the tank too.... so far ok....  , but tonight i'm going to put the new big mantis into the tank... dunno whether my Lion will survive  I think it can also kept with stone fish n eels..., but tats my personal opinion  , dun sabo me hor 

The existing 2, how many inch size? And how many inch is the new big one?

• SRC Member

Based on my experience, i reckon that you do not put two mantis together in a tank. It may seem alright at first but eventually one will eat the other when one of them molts. I kept my with two lions, things seem to be fine for a few months now. But then again, my peacock mantis just gobble up a volitan almost its own size just the other day! What i can say is, it largely depends on their character, i guess. :evil:

I think 2 together is only possible in larger tank with a lot of rocks,crevices and hiding places...

never tried them with fish....seems like those who have always keep them with lionfish...I think they will either eat or at least kill any other fish or get eaten by some such as big triggers.

If 2 equally sized ones start fighting it is in my opinion one of the most shocking and spectacular sights in a marine aquarium...especially the "smasher" types...had that happen once and it's like some full-contact martial arts tournament or something....loud cracks and smashing at each other's carapace at lightning speed and defending with the hard tail...they can also do real serious damage to fingers...

BTW they are considered a delicacy in Hong Kong restaurants.

Just sharing some past experiences,thanks

• SRC Member

After reading so much about the mantis shrimp, was intrigued & decided 2 look them up on the www.

Here's some links I found, thats pretty informative. Would have liked 2 post more of the pics here but since most R copyrighted stuff, mayB its better if U guys look it up yourselves.

Mantis Shrimps Picture Gallery

On this same website, there's some vids on the mantis in attack mode ... viscious I tell U!!!

Mantis Shrimp Multimedia