Nutrient Export For Nano Tank.

BFG

• SRC Member

good idea though. I feel that the amount of nutrient would depend on the amount of livestock inside nano tank. On the whole, putting cheato would greatly increase the beauty of the tank instead.

i am thinking of that to put in my main tank , though doesnt sound logical , most of them put in refuge ya ??

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

no lah, algae in my opinion can put anywhere. but because of other main tank, your fishes can eat the algae. But if you have non-algae eating fishes, can put in main tank. The other reason I can think of is that the algae can get loose and float around.

• SRC Member

hi there bros,

BFG, if youre thinking of using chaeto as a sole means of nutrient export, then youd probably need to run it in a refugium, unless youre planning on making your display a marine planted tank because if you introduce chaeto into the display without cordoning it off to an area, like in a betta box or what, fragments will take hold on your rockwork, and you might not be able to remove all of them thereafters, should you decide to do so.

it depends on your bioload too i guess. for example, sis venezia uses chaeto for nutrient export too, and she just places some chaeto in several betta boxes stuck on the side of her tank, and it does a good job. you can also consider adding a remote DSB, and use that for nitrates processing- basically, its a really deep sand bed (more than 6inches) in a bucket, that has water flowing in from your tank, and overflowing back into the display.

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member

if youre running a HOB, and there's enough space in there, then placing some chaeto in there with some form of white lightings above it should do well for some nutrient export. you should still leave a piece of filter sponge at the exit outflow where water cascades back into your tank though, to prevent chaeto bits from being blown into your tank. the relatively high flow in a small area of the HOB will be good for the chaeto.

• SRC Member
if i'm using a HOB can i just dump the chaeto inside the HOB? i'm only using the HOB for mech filtration...bio is through rocks...me too not running skimmer...just water change

Think it depends on big is your HOB - there are some mod. for the HOB to include a refuge in that NANO forum. Some ppl may put Rowaphos in a bag in the HOB as well and there may not be enough space for others. So check and see what types of HOB is more suitable for your NANO tank. You may even DIY one juz for your refuge.

• SRC Member

using the largest eheim liberty filter. chris, i was thinking about using rowa in a bag also but was hoping to go more natural. Does chaeto need very strong lights?

No doubt if i start using the HOB like a fuge i will definitely put a sponge at the outflow like you said ian.

i've no qualms about giving up the eheim cartridges totally, currently i wash them everyday(freshwater wash, let liverocks do their thing) coz the ffilter is there for mech filtration only.

how? Also sorry BFG for this semi hijack.

• SRC Member
i have chaeto in my external canister filter (hydor) as a fuge . the canister container is transparent so i can use a small desk lamp to light the chaeto. works great!

I have the same idea. I am going to use a brand new external canister filter from Eden. Just google for Eden 501 filter. It's nearly transparent. It also has a sponge to prevent unwanted debris from clogging the impeller.

But after using chaetomorpha, do we still need to do regular water change or can we lessen the water change or stretch it?

• SRC Member

sorry to hijack - since we are discussing alternative nutrient export - can I use the DSB as part of the sand fluidser (or-what-you-call-that) where the water is pumped through fine grade sand so that bacteria can grow inside the sand? What I mean is that there is one part where the water is pumped through the sand so that the sand can help clear the nutrient excess. any comments?