Jon's Nano Tank

jonathen81

• SRC Member

Hey guys....

i think i finally have the time to put up my tank pics.

i am a beginner in this hobby,

though i have kept fw before.

will put up more info on my tank when i have the time. but the for the time being here are my pics.

i cycled the tank for 3 months with LR and a green chromis. Now i am slowly adding fish.

My tentative plan is to start on some soft corals in around 6 months time when the tank is more mature. so yeah.....

btw this tank is many miles away from our sunny island. its in a shithole called london...

but the things here are mostly from singapore...including the fish.

thanks.

jon

post-69-1138416753.jpg

not bad.. have lots of creative ways. erm.. maybe u can have a sump at the bottom. this will looking nicer. what lighting u useing? hows your water parameter? maybe u can try adding some demsels or normal clowns. this will enhance the beauty of ur tank. u can add in a dc fan to cool down ur water temperature, but rember to top up with freshwater. happy reefing..

• SRC Member

hey thanks..

anyway i can;t add the sump lower the tank.....can't get a table here with space below and extremely ex to get a hole drilled in a tank. but in the future will consider having it lower.

current tank inhabitants.

2 percula

2 chromis

1 fire fish

1 bicolor dottyback

3 hermit

1 tiger anthias

but anyway yeah thatz abt it. don;t want to add things too quickly. want to take my time with it..will update my water para and equip later.

jon

• SRC Member

hey

thanks...well its not a fuge yet....still experimenting on the sump....just set it up so that i can place my filter , skimmer and heater in it. trying to grow some cheato in it but does not seem to be doing very well. planning to put a dsb and lr in it in a few months time....

the anthias is doing well...would try to take a pic of it soon....it always likes to swim against the water current. is that nomal??

anyway taking things slow here...cos unlike singapore everything here is so ex. so mistakes can be very costly. furthermore the water quality from the tap here is very bad...thatz why i had to cycle the tank for 3 months before i put any LS in it. only a mature tank can sustain any increase in the bioload.

anyway thanks for ur comments bro.

jon

• SRC Member

hey guys...here is the equip list...

weipro 2012...guess you guys can recognise it. (love this thing!!!)

AT107 flowrate 2100l/hr for the skimmer (HATE IT)

RENA 1600l/hr powerhead to sump

Jebo external filter with some seachem gel in it...no problem so far

70watt 14k MH

2 NO T8...marine white and actinic blue

Coralife UV sterlizer

internal filter to provide circulation.. 400l/hr

yeah..i guess thatz abt it.

ammonia and nitirites been zero.

haven;t done any water change for 2 months..been topping up with DI water everyday (around 1.5 litres). still water quality is the same.i think its because of the low bioload at the moment...

hey guys what easy corals do you guys recommend for my tank and lights??

thanks.

jon

finally someone is using the 70watt MH for nano . will it cause the temp to increase drastically ? look nice but hairy algae been all over at the back .

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

hi hammy,

yeah think the 70 watt is ok. but the lack of easy availbility for the bulbs can be a real pain. the temp rise is no drastic. furthermore the best part is i can afford to place the light source quite close to the water surface. there are some dead spots but its ok with me so far.

well the algae will go off in a few weeks time i think. It always comes transiently whenever i add some LR or LS in the tank.

anyway thanks.

jon

wow.. nice. where u get ur mh from?dont intend to keep some soft corals?

• SRC Member

the mh is a commercial set. comes with a magnetic ballast. Diy stand. need to make a better one soon. the mh cost me around 80 dollars. the bulb was from victron. 70 dollars.

yeah will be adding some softites later. want to let my tank mature a bit longer first. i know that ppl here tend to put in corals and fish within 2 to 3 months after they finish cycling. But i can;t afford to take the risk of crashing.

read somewhere that small systems like this are extremely sensitive to changes and ppl recommended that i run the tank for 6 months as a fowlr before i start to add corals.

so i guess in a way my tank is still cycling.... :rolleyes:

thanks anyway

jon

• SRC Member

i admire your patience and dedication towards this hobby!

patience is a virture that not many people have..

haha! ;)

your tank its looking good

"sump/fuge" might be looking abit on the messy side

but always there are rooms for improvement in this hobby

give your chaeto abit more flowrate..

maybe it recedes bcos of insufficient flowrate

noticed that there are lots of algae on the back of the tank.

try running phospate removal see if there is still any nasty algae blooms in your tank over the weeks.

slowly steadily at a lil more life in your tank with beautiful fishes and corals

=)

hope my little knowledge helps

:angel:

• SRC Member

hey thanks for the comments.

as for the sump, yeah will try my best to hide it soon.

there is some fresh seachem gel in my ext filter. hope the algae dissappears but if not will try other means.

my tentative plan is to add a few more fishes and stabalise my tank first and then go on to add softies. Think it sounds logical to add the most delicate of LS at the end when the tank is more stable....

well it does not really take much patience really. i was really having a nice time watching my green chromis swimming around in the lonely tank for 3 months.

all i have to do now is to watch these fishes now for a few months....

jon

• SRC Member

Just make a cover,it would be ok...

AG_fishjumping.gif

3.5 X 2.5 X 2.5 Reef Coming up :))

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)

618+178L

• SRC Member

I highly suggest you incorporate a phosphate removal media in your tank. Right now, the algae seems to be targeting your back glass (maybe you're fervently cleaning the front & side glass). So it would be best if you nip the problem in the butt right now and try to curb the algae problem before it takes over your tank! ;)

• SRC Member

hi cityofangels...thanks for your suggestions. the green algae is receeding at the moment. will post a pic when i have the time.

hey mr crabs...make a cover to hide the sump??? was thinking about that myself. but had no idea how to go about doing it.

any suggestions?

anyway thanks for your comments brudders..

jon