Red coralline growth is good or bad?

shoelevy

• SRC Member

hi guys, recently i've got red coralline popping up

i mean like ang pao red...extremely contrasting with the common purple ones we find on most liverocks

question is is this some bad sign of poor water quality or its a good indicator?

• SRC Member

it depends, someone I think even waited for almost a year to see coralline algae growing, but so as long as you know your water quality is good you don have to worry, it is just a matter of time before they start blooming.

and by the way when they start blooming, I really mean blooming cos they can grow really fast and spread really fast!

hi colinsoon,

U can speed up your coraline algae growth quite easily. I use Seachem Reef Complete and Reef builder to dose on alternate days. It will give a pretty stable calcium, carbon hardness with a proportion of magnesium and strontium.

U also need a good dosage of actinice lights. I put 2 tubes of T8 under my 2ft tank at 12 hrs. Make sure u get those good ones than span 420nm is the best... (appear slightly purplish). The usual is 450nm which is pure blue.... I find those hard to cultivate coraline algae....

• SRC Member

i have no idea which bandwidth my blue lights are at... i am using T5 14W blue actinics, 12 bucks a tube at reborn kind... anyway the speed up coralline growth, need to blast the blue lights only or can switch both on at the same time...?

• SRC Member

hi guys...Happi CNY... :lol:

anyway newbie question...wat does e coraline algae does anyway...hehehe..there is a thread on it..hehehe...might as well ask!! hahaha...saw some use LR wif really red coraline algae on sale at pasir ris...hahaha...those interested can go there...

• SRC Member

hahaha....aiyah...jus stating mah...i mean first time see whole rock full of coraline algae..majiam like they dip it in red paint..!! :yeah: yeh..realli!! its at 2 pasir ris farmway 2..e store nxt to e one e seller is closing down...yeh...hahaha...sorri for lack of info...or misinfo

• SRC Member
hahaha....aiyah...jus stating mah...i mean first time see whole rock full of coraline algae..majiam like they dip it in red paint..!! :yeah: yeh..realli!! its at 2 pasir ris farmway 2..e store nxt to e one e seller is closing down...yeh...hahaha...sorri for lack of info...or misinfo

or initially cosing down. the very nice owner, felix, decided to continue, but with betas only. no more marine... another misinfo by laona... hahaha... :D:D:D

• SRC Member

guys, maybe if you would like us to ID those stuffs, maye u can post pcis and let us assist you. :D

ailen is right, dun get mistaken by cyano outbreak and coraline alage.

coraline alage spread very fast, with boost of actnic blue and with stable water parameters, you can have a "purple" hill soonz..just be patient and let them blooom....:D