What size of return pipe do you use?

What size of return pipe do you use?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What size of return pipe do you use?

• < 1/8 inch
    • 1/8 inch
    • 1/4 inch
    • 1/2 inch
    • 3/4 inch
    • 1 inch
    • 1.5 inches
    • 2 or > inches

• SRC Member

i tink the piping size go by mm reading rite??....depends on the pump itself..some require 20mm n some 25mm...

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member
i tink the piping size go by mm reading rite??....depends on the pump itself..some require 20mm n some 25mm...

Thanks for pointing out. Essentially, 1 inch = 25.4mm (or 25mm according to "pipe industry" :D ). So basically, 1/2 inch would be 12.5mm, 3/4 inch is 20mm and so on.

• SRC Member

well...generally the bigger the output of your pump/s, the bigger the down pipes.....but generally the tanks i design have at least slightly more than 1X the up pipe/s' diameter.

eg

If i use 2x20mm up pipes, my down pipe choice will be at least a 50mm

ISLANWIDE Doorstep CO2 refill @ $42.00 (5L and below)sms 93638229 now!!!! For larger canisters do enquire:]

• SRC Member

well...generally the bigger the output of your pump/s, the bigger the down pipes.....but generally the tanks i design have at least slightly more than 1X the up pipe/s' diameter.

eg

ISLANWIDE Doorstep CO2 refill @ $42.00 (5L and below)sms 93638229 now!!!! For larger canisters do enquire:]

• SRC Member

eg

Will there be any impact if I use a reducer from 1" to 3/4" for a return pipe? Would that be considered as 1" or 3/4" return? How do I choose a suitable pump for such pipings?

• SRC Member

Will there be any impact if I use a reducer from 1" to 3/4" for a return pipe? Would that be considered as 1" or 3/4" return? How do I choose a suitable pump for such pipings?

i believe its considered a 3/4" because the main bulk of the resistance is from teh 3/4"

• SRC Member

Volitan,

considering your designed tank size, 25mm aka 1" should be enough.

Personally, I do not think so much that the water going up should have any BIG pipe issue, not that it does not have any.

Look at it this way, the water going up is forced by pump.

But for water coming down, it will ne natural and by gravity, if pipe is too small, the water flow down will not be fast, but if pipe is big, there is more allowance for more water flow.

Get my drift?

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
Volitan,

considering your designed tank size, 25mm aka 1" should be enough.

Personally, I do not think so much that the water going up should have any BIG pipe issue, not that it does not have any.

Look at it this way, the water going up is forced by pump.

But for water coming down, it will ne natural and by gravity, if pipe is too small, the water flow down will not be fast, but if pipe is big, there is more allowance for more water flow.

Get my drift?

I know what you mean. Actually I am more concerned of the size of my return pipe, cos I feel that the flow is very weak compared to my previous setup, although the pump is still the same. I think I might have made a mistake in upping the size of the pipe.

:(