I think they cost abt 25g for $24... px varies :whistle

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member
Cards do work..and LFS sells those tank cleaners which i find pretty effective as well, at least u dun have to get your hands wet...~ Impt thing is do occassional cleaning. Let the algae grow over time and u'll hv a hard time cleaning it... :)

THIS IS SO COOL! I have never thought a hard card will work. I just tried out and immediately cleaned 1/4 of my side wall in 5 mins.

Sad to say, my tank is in the balcony thus sunlight is always causing the algae growth at the tank side. After some time, I gave up fighting the algae growth since they are too stubborn to be removed, not even with the usual magnet cleaners <_< Now a hard card works! YAY! :D

By the way, is there some product that has the same 'power' as the hard card? At least I dont need to hold the card for ...like 30 mins? haha...having a 4ft tank is no easy cleaning job. :P

:thanks:

THIS IS SO COOL! I have never thought a hard card will work. I just tried out and immediately cleaned 1/4 of my side wall in 5 mins.

Sad to say, my tank is in the balcony thus sunlight is always causing the algae growth at the tank side. After some time, I gave up fighting the algae growth since they are too stubborn to be removed, not even with the usual magnet cleaners <_< Now a hard card works! YAY! :D

By the way, is there some product that has the same 'power' as the hard card? At least I dont need to hold the card for ...like 30 mins? haha...having a 4ft tank is no easy cleaning job. :P

:thanks:

The Kent Marine Pro Scraper has the same 'power' you are looking for.

You can also consider the Algae Free Easy Blade Algae Scraper for Magnet Cleaner. You'll need a suitable magnet to attach this thou.

Hope this helps :)

• SRC Member
The Kent Marine Pro Scraper has the same 'power' you are looking for.

You can also consider the Algae Free Easy Blade Algae Scraper for Magnet Cleaner. You'll need a suitable magnet to attach this thou.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks. Whew, tough job...I just finished cleaning up the 4ft tank walls off the green algae using a hard card, damn tired sia... :lol:

Think I saw an ad from Aquamarine sellimng the Easy Blade, I will go down for a look ^_^

Just hope it is not too expensive for an algae scraper...

• 1 year later...

Hi all, my first post... somehow i think the tank has been screw-up, as now the tank is full of scratches, even a magnet cannot remove the green algae that is hiding inside the scratch marks.

from last time we did use sponge (for washing dishes) and toothbrush to clean and scrub the tank every week.. and now is already full of sratches.

now i use magnet brush to clean then use the sponge (the soft) side, not the steel wool side, to clear off the algae, but the ones inside the scratches wont come out... any ideas? :pinch:

• SRC Member
Hi all, my first post... somehow i think the tank has been screw-up, as now the tank is full of scratches, even a magnet cannot remove the green algae that is hiding inside the scratch marks.

from last time we did use sponge (for washing dishes) and toothbrush to clean and scrub the tank every week.. and now is already full of sratches.

now i use magnet brush to clean then use the sponge (the soft) side, not the steel wool side, to clear off the algae, but the ones inside the scratches wont come out... any ideas? :pinch:

Yup...use a toothbrush...and reduce yr nutrients...and last but not least, clean yr skimmer collection cup.

Do 10-20% water change for the next 3 days....and measure yr nitrate and phosphate level.

Dump a bag of activated carbon or phosphate remover medium in yr sump.

l7304smr.jpg

wow actually thought of changing new tank... but for a new beginner like me.... is not really adviseable right..

but use toothbrush.. can i ask a question, normally when you all clean/scrub the tank glass... is it advisable to scrub untill is freaking clean?

for a 4 ft tank, with the sponge, normally it will take me at least 2 - 3 hours to scrub it clean, and it is a weekly affair.

maybe i want the tank to look clean and use hell lots of strength to scrub it..

• SRC Member

normally i will use tooth brush to clean the tank (those very obvious one).

i use a magnet cleaner (with clothe in between). doesn't take more then 10 minute to clean the side and front (back is not accessible).

why you take so long? maybe you hardworking la hehe

• SRC Member
wow actually thought of changing new tank... but for a new beginner like me.... is not really adviseable right..

but use toothbrush.. can i ask a question, normally when you all clean/scrub the tank glass... is it advisable to scrub untill is freaking clean?

for a 4 ft tank, with the sponge, normally it will take me at least 2 - 3 hours to scrub it clean, and it is a weekly affair.

maybe i want the tank to look clean and use hell lots of strength to scrub it..

Recently, seems to encounter complaints of algae bloom....haha... :huh:

It's back to the fundamentals...high nutrients + high phosphate + high silicate + lack of flow + lightings = conducive environment for algae growth.

Toothbrush is to scrub the algae on yr liverocks so that you dun remove the coraline algae. Gently will do...coz diatoms are easily remove.

For the glass walls, you may want to use a scrubber...long enough for u to reach. LFS sells those. If you want branded ones, you can check out reef depot website.

End of the day, there's bound to be some level of maintenance... :D

l7304smr.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

IMO, magnet cleaner will scratch the tank surface. I bound to scratch certain area of the glass when I use those strong expensive magnet cleaners. I think the cleaning surface will pick up some small grain of sand or those hard coraline algae and while cleaning the glass, there would be some scratches.

Now, I'm lazy abit and let the coraline grow on the glass surface, and once a month I will use those scrapper to clean the glass. I notice that the razor thin scrapper doesn't scratch the glass surface even though I was removing both types of algae.

Careful when using the credit card, try to use those 'expired' new ones which have smooth edges.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• 1 year later...

IMO, magnet cleaner will scratch the tank surface. I bound to scratch certain area of the glass when I use those strong expensive magnet cleaners. I think the cleaning surface will pick up some small grain of sand or those hard coraline algae and while cleaning the glass, there would be some scratches.

Now, I'm lazy abit and let the coraline grow on the glass surface, and once a month I will use those scrapper to clean the glass. I notice that the razor thin scrapper doesn't scratch the glass surface even though I was removing both types of algae.

Careful when using the credit card, try to use those 'expired' new ones which have smooth edges.

A razor blade will remove hardcore algae on glass,, for rock can use toothbrush to brush them off