To clean up dirty sandbed

mAriNe_enthusiast

• SRC Member

personally, i feel that if you have a large thank with ample sandbed for sea cuke to move around. then its good to have one. BUT bear in mind, do study your inhabitants before getting a sea cuke. DON't stress the creatures.

Locally some LFS carries some.

Hope these helps!

Get only the Black sea cucumber! they are quite versatile, directing some flow on the sand bed helps prevents some detritus from settling there.But of cos bear in mind the "pressure" on the corals there if you have any placed there, they may not like the current and thus wont open up!

vipersig.jpg

• SRC Member

Sea Cucumber are "too slow" for me...

I seeking sand-sifter-guys too.

I'm working up my QT, as I going to get 1 pair of diamond goby.

I tried few (so-call) reef-safe hermit crabs. too bad they practically work at night.

Its during the daytime that the cyano\bacteria most aggressive. I need something to work hard at this time.

I used to have a very good hermit crab at cleaning the sand bed (surface), but its not reef-safe - common hairy red hermit. Gave away after disturbed my new feather and a cuke. Now I wish I can get it back :(

• SRC Member
thks for reply..

how will the cuke stress the inhabitants? amd generally, what type of inhabitants are unsuitable..

:thanks:

not sea cuke stress inhabitants...its your inhabitants that stress it...if tat happens sea cukes will release toxins or sth along that line when they die

personally, i will go for dwarf hermits (cute and cheap from henry) and 1 brittle sea star.

i DO NOT recommend sand shifter star as that one will burrow and disturb your DSB no3 reduction abilities

• SRC Member

me using the cuke. pesonally i find it is the best solution so far for me. i got a 4x2x2.5tank. lots of room for it to roam & maint free (no feeding). u got to give it time to clear the sandbed.

to assist, try to employ a fr with phosphate reducing media (e.g. rowaphos) to reduce the phosphate level in the water as well as not to overfeed.

lastly, you may want to use a water filter (RO/DI or DI) during water topup/change water to ensure you are not addng on to the load.

good luck. :D