Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member
Read a copy of Practical Fishkeeping and in the Q&A section they stated that some clownfishes DO NOT need anemones .....

True ?

If so ...what are the species I could get ?

Any clown-experts ?

Well, all clownfishes can do very well without anemones...

Just that if you want them to breed in your tank, the chances of them doing so would be alot higher if you have an anemone.

• SRC Member
:D well it's kinda nice to see clowns nesting among the tentacles of anemone...but do consider what you will be keeping together in ya marine tank. If u want to keep LPS or SPS, then my advice is to skip it to avoid killing your expensive gems. So far my paired African clowns have been living happily without anemone. Yet it's interesting to see them nestle among my bubbles or even my zoos colony.

Hey thanks for all the info ....

Never had a clown before ..........

Thinking of adding it to my tank

current :

clouded moray+picasso trigger+3 lionfish(radiata/manchu/volitans)+ peacock wrasse+polka-dot grouper ...

I'm getting a big one of course ....

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hey...

Seriously.. i dun think clown needs any ane to survive... i got my maroon 2 yrs back when i was a tiny baby... its grown to about 2 times its size now... it's home?? a shell of my dead clam... lol

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• 5 years later...

sorry for resurrectting this old post. recently my in law passed me his clownfish that he kept for 4 years. it host in this anemone since the day he got it.

now it's in my 2 feet tank with a LR. it's hanging out between the overflow box and the tank glass. it hardly swim few inches away from its comfort zone even during feeding.

is it a normal behavior? it's eating and have no obvious signs of stress, just not swimming around.

• SRC Member

sorry for resurrectting this old post. recently my in law passed me his clownfish that he kept for 4 years. it host in this anemone since the day he got it.

now it's in my 2 feet tank with a LR. it's hanging out between the overflow box and the tank glass. it hardly swim few inches away from its comfort zone even during feeding.

is it a normal behavior? it's eating and acting normally, just not swimming around.

IMO it's normal. my GBTA became too big for my tank, so had to sell it off. it was hosted by my clowns for quite long already. since then, they started to host also the same area - overflow. though they would still normally swim out (maybe bcoz they're quite well oriented with the tank and it's inhabitants already), until lately, it started to host my duncans. did you place the clown directly after getting it ? if yes, then i think that's what to expect. as long as it's feeding still and look healthy. you should start to see it venture out soon. just check time to time :friends: cheers !

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

yeah...i place it directly into my tank. total change of environment for the poor fella, from 622 to 211 :paiseh:

wonder if i add more rock will make it feel more at home

is it alone ? i think try not to change anything yet and observe, it may still be stressed :erm: let em settle in well first and get comfy :superman:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

is it alone ? i think try not to change anything yet and observe, it may still be stressed :erm: let em settle in well first and get comfy :superman:

yes it is alone. the first fish after months of cycling. my misus told me if the fish die i'm dead, so its quite a nervous time

will SOS if anything not right, thanks for the advise bro! :thumbsup:

cheers!

• SRC Member

finally start to swim, curious and active little fella :ThanxSmiley:

good to know. was really just stressed with the new environment ... later on, for sure ur clown will find something to host, and they will host almost anything :eyebrow:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

my maroon stick to the anemone 24/7.

btw, what other species of crown can i add that will live in harmony?

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

• 4 weeks later...