new to marine tank?

• SRC Member

:shock::shock::shock::blink:

OMG, you just broken the record for amount spent on buying such small marine tank--- $900??!! There was another thread where a guy bought this nano-tank from Tampines Mall for $850. At least its 10 times better than what you are having now.

Jef's $850 tank from TM

Sis trenyce 's almost bought another $850 tank

Bro Elune's WARNING of TM's LFS

Life rocks are good as biological filter, so do add in more if the tank can support the weight.
Live Rocks (not Life rocks) no doubt are good bio-filters, but adding Live Rocks (LRs) to your tank will start another tiny ANN cycle, and considering this amount of water volume sharpheadloti (french loaf?) 's tank has, such an action will significantly affect the water properties of the entire tank. All LRs SHOULD be in place before kicking-starting the ANN cycle. after the cycle starts, dun add anymore in to disrupt the process. If u are really gonna add more in, exercise caution, becuz as the bacterias / algaes on ur LRs (uncured) dies off, the Ammonia level will spike, everything will go haywire.

i had bought 1 shrimp and an algrea eater to start my cleaner grp. But once the shrimp got into the tank, its freeze!! next moment its death  ?? did i do anything wrong?
Shrimps are considered "invertebrates". Most Invertebrates require very long and slow drip acclimation process of at least 2 hours and above becuz they cannot adjust quickly to even small changes in pH, temperature, and alkalinity, and intolerant of extreme nitrate levels.

Answer this question: Have you tested your water parameters yet? MINIMALLY, Ammonia / Nitrite / Nitrate / Specific Gravity and Temperature of the water in your tank now? Your shrimp most prolly died becuz it couldn't adjust to the water.

Check out this site on CLEANER SHRIMPS

got this tank at 900 inclusive of fishes, LR, everythings. But i had measure the actual lenght of my tank is actually 3ft plus x 40cm x 14cm....only inclusive of the frame its 5ft in lenght..
3ft plus? Let me give an estimate of 100 cm ya? so its 100cm x 40cm x 14 cm tank. There should be around 14-15 US Gallons of water. I feel, 5 small fishes (2") or 3 medium sized fishes (3"). Stay to damsels or Chromis (which is also damsels).

my next tgt is to get a skimmer, will get atlanis for advice..might go to the TM shop to seeseelooklook aso... 
Yes, get a skimmer. Dun let Alantis sway u into another expensive investment. Also, AVOID the TM shop. its another place for Chai Taos; nothing to learn from there anyways. The guys here said the TM shop uncle is more pro in freshwater tanks, NOT marine ones. Note that I bought my skimmer under $40. The better ones are below $200. Anything at a higher range for your tank size is overkill already ( no point ya? U dun need a military tank to kill a mosquito - same concept). Beside, I feel you are gonna have a hard to figuring out how to install your skimmer to your hang-on tank without spoiling the asesthetics of it. Do show us how the result will look by posting another picture after u fixed on your skimmer. share share in this forum ya?

Good luck to you. Welcome to SRC and let the fun begin...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Hi Bro,

Just wanna let you know that I bought the same wall-mount tank as you 2 years back. There are of cuz limitations :( due to the physical layout so to make the best out of it I am keeping a FOWLR setup with the addition of invertebrates. Do PM me if you need any advice :lol:

Oh bro Jeremysiah, looking at ur stats.... u registered this account this afternoon just to reply to this post?

might if u post us a picture of ur tank and let us see how it looks like? :lol:

hi FionaFiona, i am actually using another account to read postings.. was jus drawn to this posting tat's y i created a new account for myself so that i can join in :P

btw i'll post a picture of my tank shortly as well as the internal layout of my tank (in-built overflow compartment on the side)

cheers! :rolleyes:

hi FionaFiona, i am actually using another account to read postings.. was jus drawn to this posting tat's y i created a new account for myself so that i can join in :P

btw i'll post a picture of my tank shortly as well as the internal layout of my tank (in-built overflow compartment on the side)

cheers! :rolleyes:

Much appreciated! I am really curious... yeah actually the TM $850 Nano Cube looks much professionally put together, with nice corals mix and such. Shame on those ppl at Atlantis. Perhaps the system just can't support more than 4 fishes and 5kg LR.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Not to say you kena chop la. It's just that whatever Atlantis offer you may not be truly built for marine fish keeping. Probably it will fare better keeping freshwater... but hey, I'm not suggesting you do that. Been keeping FW all my life, nothing comes close to the ocean, lol. Yes, do show us once your camera is working. Maybe all the experienced bro can help you add in a protein skimmer.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

hi there,

although relatively bare a tank, its nice and neat, and most importantly, its a surviving tank. Thats great news.

perhaps u might wanna add in a tiny sea fan and a couple of tube worms to liven things up?

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

GBTA - Green Bulb Tip Anemone

Well, my wife and I were drawn to it due to the look about 2 years(after watching Findinf Nemo :( ).. paid about 800 bucks for it..

the guy from atlantis told us that only need to top up water and change the filter sponge about once a month.. back then was naive and knew nothing about reefin so just went ahead and bought it cuz we'll looking got a decorative object to be placed on that wall. it was only after a few months of research that i realised that i was cheated! :cry:

since then, i made up my mind to make the best out of what i have and restarted my tank :D iam quite happy with what i have now given the limitted space :P

Cool....nice attitude you have there. Anyway, just a word of caution, i seriously do not think your lights are strong enough for anemones....keep a close eye on it and make sure it doesn't shifts and covers up your water outlet/inlet.

Yup, I agree with you on tat. Have been tryin to look for a suitable light to sustitute mine.

Anyway, my anemone is veri happy with that spot its been there for about 2 months :)

I had one experience where my previous anemone blocked the water outlet and my tank got flooded. Thank God my wife got home early and discovered it! Since then, I have been careful about it. Talking about ehe 'perils of life'.. haha..

• SRC Member
GBTA - Green Bulb Tip Anemone

Well, my wife and I were drawn to it due to the look about 2 years(after watching Findinf Nemo :( ).. paid about 800 bucks for it..

the guy from atlantis told us that only need to top up water and change the filter sponge about once a month.. back then was naive and knew nothing about reefin so just went ahead and bought it cuz we'll looking got a decorative object to be placed on that wall. it was only after a few months of research that i realised that i was cheated! :cry:

since then, i made up my mind to make the best out of what i have and restarted my tank :D iam quite happy with what i have now given the limitted space :P

GBTA??? :o

All I see is white? Green BTA is suppose to be dark green. Is it like this when you got it? Do you mean only the tip is green?

Bleached BTA? Anyone can confirm from the pix?

Bro; just concern with the BTA as when BTA dies in your tank. It is going to be a major disaster.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.