Modified 24g NC in the making

jervismun

I am starting this thread with a simple objective in mind... to share my experiences with other NC owners/would be owners. It is kinda frustrating for me at first when I discovered out all the restrictions and disadvantages of owning a ready-made all-in-one nano tank, I have this urge to make it work... my way! The discouragements from LFS are very damaging as one LFS suggested me to trash the NC away!

And since this is my first nano attempt, I am no expert in this field yet. So, appreciate experienced reefers out there to show me and my readers the light along the way...

As for now, I am glad with the mods so far and really looking forward to an exciting hobby ahead.

I will try to make this thread as exciting as possibly by introducing more (relevant) pics. I do need you guys to contribute so that I can stay on top of the list to achieve my objective for this thread.

Thanks!

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Original tank position as in Day 1. Oh I love the stand! It looks so sleek and contemporary.

post-69-1140844743.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

One big problem though, the temperature (with or without the lights on) is at a constant 30ºC. The room temperature is around 28ºC, with poor ventilation.

I really cracked my head finding ways to bring the temperature down to at least 28ºC. The most effective way will be to get a chiller but... so I've decided to look at other alternatives before the "chiller" option. And I will not settle for a Fish Only Tank!

What's your experience? Pls share with me :cry2:

post-69-1140844986.jpg

Finally, my NC goes topless!!! lol

As you can see, I've added a SOLITE HQI 150W w/ 14000ºK. Also, since I'm not the hardworking type when it comes to husbandry, I introduced a good protein skimmer DYMAX LS-20 Toothsaw Blade.

The light is perfect! Oh I love the shimmering effect casted onto the floor bed. Only MH can achieve that effect I heard. Love it!

The protein skimmer is a little more tricky. It is very powerful... but the microbubbles is quite an annoyance. The first day was really horrific! But after running (on/off) for 3 days, the microbubbles sorta reduced to an acceptable level (almost). The flow is not very consistent (again it might take time to settle in), there was an instance where the cup was so full of sea water it exploded off the cup creating a mini hurricane... oh my wooden flooring. :cry: I think this kinda protein skimmer should belong inside a sump tank... just in case.

You guys have any suggestions on more reliable (flow) protein skimmer? Is there such thing as a foolproof design where the water will never ever overflow outside the skimmer? Is the Remora better? I am willing to buy a new protein skimmer as anymore disaster may jeopardize my NC (it will get kicked out of the house).

I am also looking at an external sump. What's your take on that?

post-69-1140845645.jpg

I found this from a forum in the US. So cool right??? I want it! But sump tanks can cause a lot of noise... currently my NC is still running very silently (all I can hear is the protein skimmer).

Oh! Once I remove the tank hood, the temperature maintains at 28.5ºC most of the time. When my MH on for about 6 hours, the temperature will hike to about 29.5ºC. Actually not too bad huh? I am trying so hard to skip the chiller as I don't think having a refrigerator in my tiny study room is very sensible.

Will keep you guys update!

post-69-1140846007.jpg

I found this from US too! Someone converted the centre chamber (back compartments) into a refugerium. I will prob do so if I manage to move my protein skimmer somewhere else. And the MH actually penetrates slightly into the back compartments, so no additional lighting required. Although some may alternate the lighting between the tank and the refugerium to stabilize pH. Anyone done this before? Pls share...

Ok I am trying too hard to stay on top I guess, I shall stop posting and see if you guys are interested in my thread. Coz I shouldn't treat the forum as my Nano diary... dear diary...

:P

post-69-1140846311.jpg

Thanks Ancelot!

You're my first in this forum! I will keep those pics coming... all the way! Is there a limit to how many pics I can post in a single thread? You wanna share with us your tank? I can't wait to learn from fellow members like you :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Wow the tank looks cool made.

One thing though, I believe you bought the tank bcos of asethetic appearance. Like the LFS will advise against it, it will be a tough job to preserve it after you add the necessary equipment. With all the life suppport system added, it will actually looks less appealling.

Since you have added the Dymax MH and go topless, your temperature will solely controlled by the MH with the time cycle. You too do not have too much room for fan and of course spoit the the appearance again. You may place the tank near the window with natural wind blowing at the tank. But once the window is shut, then up it goes again.

Sump? Where u gona put it, next to the tank for you to see??? Sump is normally quite ulgy over time..... Maybe you can opt for a canister and a chiller

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Guys thanks for your replies!

Nakarozu: Yes I've compromised on the appearance to give way to more sensible equipments. Getting a NC is a start, but I will most definitely get a larger tank. So the equipments to be transfered over later. But this must be a good shot as I've promised by family to allow me 3 months to experiment. They are complaining already about the smell... I put 2 pieces of small LR into the filter compartment... and I haven't even add in the 10kg of LR yet! lol

Firestarz: Surprisingly, the MH will only hike 1ºC. I will run shorter hours, say 6 hours instead of 10 hours. And it will be primarily at night (when I'm home). So this helps a little coz the air-con will help a little. My study room is at its hottest around 5 to 6pm. Will definitely get a timer controlled fan or something to add air circulation within the room. Are you using a chiller? I heard it's very noisy and those reliable ones are usually very expensive ($700 above).

Adding a sump will increase my water volume... I saw this really beautiful looking overflow thingy at the LFS. It's made out of acrylic, so pretty. I can buy a sturdy cabinet next to the tank or something. I am still very worried about my protein skimmer. A disaster waiting to happen anytime. Unless you guys can suggest a better, foolproof skimmer.

Oh the JBJ MMS skimmer will be in next week I heard. The JBJ main distributor is very helpful by the way. The marketing manager called Mandy has been emailing me with updates and such. Nice lady :angel:

Picture: Nice protein skimmer but the flow is kinda unpredictable at first. It went burst yesterday, filling my nice white wall and wooden flooring with saltwater :cry2:

post-69-1140849510.jpg

Firestarz: I think another reason for me not getting a huge temperature hike is the mounting. My MH is elevated at least 6 inches from the water surface. And I have plenty of surface movement too. I might have to (no choice I guess) get a proper chiller when I have the budget. Eyeing on an Arctica :P

Anyone using the Resun CL-85? I heard it is too small for a 24g tank although the LFS assured me it can bring the temperature down to 26ºC easily... well I also do not want the mini chiller to overwork as:

Overworking = long hours of operation = noise noise noise :eyebrow:

Anyone using the Resun CL-85? I heard it is too small for a 24g tank although the LFS assured me it can bring the temperature down to 26ºC easily... well I also do not want the mini chiller to overwork as:

The Resun CL-85 is only good for tanks 1.5ft or smaller i.e less than 10g. Some discussion here CL-85 Discussion

An alternative for cooling a Nano tank is an Ice Probe but I'm not sure how effective it is. Alternatively, there is a Nanotuners ICA. But be warned, these nano chillers are not very effective.

You can visit this US site for more info on NC and nano chillers: Nano-reef

Lastly, can you PM me the price at which you bought your MH, I am also thinking of getting 1 for my nano :)

Good Luck, keep us updated on your progress.

Bezz: Already PM you with price and where I bought it from. Good luck!

I am using the 14000ºK that comes with the fixture. Do you think it's the best? Bearing in mind this is the only lighting I have atm. Thinking of adding an atinic tube, somewhere... but it's so hard to find a 18" fixture. Any idea where I can find one?

Bought a Hygrothermometer from DIY shop just now. I need constant display of my room's temperature and humidity. Not sure if the latter matters much atm. This little gadget will also records daily max/min readings... cool :whistle

post-69-1140878283.jpg

• SRC Member

Resun 85 is not the conventional chiller but a thermo-electric chiller, as such its only moving parts is the fan. Noise will be quite constant.

As for your skimmer, it is the irregularity of the pump that causes the overflow. Get a better pump from reputable brand, a good LFS will advise you on a good one. Do check if any bend on the piping or tube when u tune the skimmer.

Good luck.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Nakazoru: I am using the pump that comes with the Dymax SL-20 (with air intake). You were prob right, I did bent the rubber tube slightly due to space constraint. Will try to fix it tomorrow. Thanks! :)

What do you guys think about this product?

IceProbe Aquarium Chiller and Temperature Controller set

If what they claim is true, this tiny chiller can bring down my 24g NC from 30ºC to 28ºC. I get slightly more than 30ºC after 4 hours of 150W MH. You think this will work?

It's noiseless and low in power consumption... pls share your thoughts :thanks:

i have also recently went topless with my 24NC after 7 months. original hood had 4 x 36W PL with 4 fans. was going fine but IBS syndrome set in so removed the hood and hang a HV 150W pendant with 2 x 24W T5 actinic over the tank. using a clothes hanger stand n DIY hood.

using a weipro 2011 with maxijet 1200 and works great. also using a resun CL450 with an aquabee3000 as return pump to keep temp ard 27C.

have a hydor prime 30 canister as an external fuge with chaeto.

will try to post pics when i hv time. :)

Elimmel: Please do post some pics, I wanna see your setup especially your DIY hood with atinic tubes. Personally I would very much like to add in some atinic tubes... still sourcing for some overhead fixtures that is around 18" to 20". But again, I might not have the space. Is it really necessary for corals? Or my 14000ºK MH will do the job fine? Planning to keep some beginners corals for the first 2 years (before I upgrade my tank to a larger one).

I am curious how you manage to turn a canister into a fuge with Chaeto... I thought they need light?

And is 27ºC good enough for inverts and corals? If yes, how long does your Resun CL450 usually run? During MH time? Or continuously? I need to get something that will emit low noise. Coz my computer table (where I spend most of my free time at home) is just 3 feet away and I do not want some special effect sound when I listen to my music via iTunes/iPod.

Questions Questions Questions... I am a troubled child, lol.

:fear::fear::fear::fear::fear::fear::fear::fear::fear::thanks::fear::fear::fear:

Just to let you guys know that I've given up on the crazy idea of building/purchasing a sump tank for my NC. Agree with some of you that it will make the whole setup so complicated... I have a new plan and it will happen within the next 3 - 4 days. I shall update you guys with pics and so on...

A fellow reefer will sell me a pack of Chaeto for $10 this Tuesday. Great! I will fill up the surface of my 2nd and 3rd compartments with Chaeto to kick-start the cycling process! Very exciting!

Guys I've decided to give up my Dymax LS-20 protein skimmer coz I still have this nightmare of saltwater overflowing the collection cup and sorta fill my study room with at least 5g of saltwater! Really can't imaging the aftermath...

Were surfing reefdepot last night and found something kinda suitable to my needs, although kinda expensive... you know "Made in Germany" and kinda overpower for my 24g NC. But I can always transfer it to my future thank :)

Still waiting for them to contact me re availability. Will update with great pix. Right now, I shall keep it a mystery :ph34r:

Also another reefer is giving away a big fat blue damsel, you think I should receive it for the later part of the cycling? Do you think it will be hard to give it away after the cycle? Even home delivery? :upsidedown:

A fellow reefer sold me around 10kg of extremely cured life rock this afternoon! Very nice looking rocks, mostly covered with red coralline... love it! This will help jump start my tank for sure. He is also kind enough to scope me some of his sand.

:thanks: bro!