Ian's Overgrown Nano!

iantoh

bro blue carpet, i certainly use a chiller. a Resun CL-650 as my main chiller, and a six-fan set and ice-probe in the sump as back up. my old teco RA-680 with its leaking coil is out in the front of my house. :P

temp is kept between 26 and 27 degrees with an external thermostat.

tks 4 ya answer n good nite! :D

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abalones should do the trick. Never found any problems with them knocking any rocks over, even small rocks. Best thing is that if you have diatoms they eat them too. ;) The only thing which might topple rocks are the short-spined urchins like pencil urchins. Diadema urchins never gave me a problem, quite agile despite their long spines. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

hi there bro tridacna maxima, AT, and Fuel,

thanks for the encouraging comments! :P:P

bro maxima, from what i understand, theres a major sps wholesaler in malaysia, that only deals with sps, so perhaps you might try to check that out if you havent already? The tank set up is quite modest la, and not much in comparison to many other tanks that fellow bros have set up. i didnt want to give up my old goniopora tank, but it really got to be too much work than i had time for, so i had to switch. anyhows, all the best with your future reefing endeavours ya. if you ever come by singapore, be sure to tell us all on src ya, as im sure we'd be glad to have coffee and show you around the LFS.

bro Fuel, from the scare stories ive heard, the diadema are capable of injuring the more soft tissued corals like LPS with their spines. is that true or more a rumor? I shall certainly be popping by henrys sometime soon to get a couple of abalones. the algaes on the rock arent growing too quickly, but i cant seem to get rid of them either, so hopefully the abalones will chomp away. thanks for the advice ya! too bad youre not around man...

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member

Great work Ian, I seen your tank, and in my opinion, it is awesome just to see 5xT5 on just a small tank and like you says it does wonders for your SPS. great work brother, show you pics of this black cap when it comes out.

I am wondering what is a black cap??

• SRC Member

Hi there bro cdckjn,

for a pic of a black cap, just see my avatar ya? :P

thanks for the compliments. and MC, wanted to ask you something- need a favour la- if i send you a pic via sms, is it possible for you to send it back to me via email? i cant seem to install my stupid L6 on my computer.

thanks,

ian

• SRC Member

Wed go where play ah? Never Jio ah :D

“Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them”

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success."

- Malcolm X

Glory Glory Man Utd!

DeZ aka Desmond

• SRC Member

hahahah. :ph34r:

hi there guys,

i got myself some live adult artemia to try to entice the black cap out, but its still cooped up in its cave, and i can hardly see it right now. and it only eats those that swim pass it, so i have to flood the tank to ensure it has enough to eat. sigh... my nutrient levels are gonna go whack.. ah well..

ive taken some pics of my lighting set up already, but shall have to wait till tomm to receive it as it was taken with my dad's camera, and his software is at his office.

have a great evening everyone, as i slog away at a 7 hour editorial test for this job im applying for... :P

cheers,

ian

my brother iantoh,

i must state with frankness that I have lost touch with the marine world for years now. I have made up my mind to return to this hobby once i have moved to a new house of mine.

i must be also mindful that space constraint will be an issue for my new place. so, i am thinking on how big should my tank be.

as for the malaysian sps suppliers, i dont know where to get it. What i know at the moment is subang aquatics, 88 marine, aquatics international, natural plant and batu karang.

for now, i hope that i can get some contacts from you.

thanks for the info and cheers.

• SRC Member

hi there bro giantbicycle,

well, each time i wish to do anything inside the tank, like stick my hands in, i have to lift up one of the light casings, but its quite easy, and then, just place on my table.

for daily feedings, i use a syringe with hard tubing, so i neednt lift up the lights.

the big problem initially was DIY-ing the light stand, and i made several versions before this one worked out the way i wanted it to. its funny, but on top of acrylic, i also used some parts of four syringes, and some eraser to build the stands. right now, im thinking of cutting up some parabolic reflectors to stick on the inside of the casings to increase light output, though i have yet to think of how to cut up the reflectors neatly. if anyone has any ideas on that, or is able to help, please do tell me ya.

cheers,

ian

hi there bro giantbicycle,

well, each time i wish to do anything inside the tank, like stick my hands in, i have to lift up one of the light casings, but its quite easy, and then, just place on my table.

for daily feedings, i use a syringe with hard tubing, so i neednt lift up the lights.

the big problem initially was DIY-ing the light stand, and i made several versions before this one worked out the way i wanted it to. its funny, but on top of acrylic, i also used some parts of four syringes, and some eraser to build the stands. right now, im thinking of cutting up some parabolic reflectors to stick on the inside of the casings to increase light output, though i have yet to think of how to cut up the reflectors neatly. if anyone has any ideas on that, or is able to help, please do tell me ya.

cheers,

ian

Got it, very neat Diy ...Brillent idea :)

• SRC Member

Wow! .. nice way to position ur lights ..

Really nice DIY .. eh .. since ur thinking of doing a new one, actually i suddenly hav this idea .. use pvc pipings n make a stand which extends from the floor to the top of the tank .. then hang the lights from the top in the same triangular manner as now .. like that u do not need to remove the lights when u wanna do something within the tank, n the lights r also concentrated more on the tank.

Juz some ideas .. haha .. i seem to b full of diy ideas but nvr really doing any myself.