Learning to scuba-dive

flubberina13

• SRC Member

hey...experienced reefers out there...Pls help me out w this...

Intend to learn scuba-diving so would like to know the prep before embarking on the cost. And about equipment, if need to get, can tell which country cheaper to get also. Thanks a lot... :bow:

And also maybe, recommend a good place to learn... :)

Any female reefers wanting to join me? :rolleyes:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Prep?

Must be able to swim 200m any style (or snorkle for 300m with mask/snorkle and fins) and tread water for 10mins. That's it.

As for equipment. Nothing for now as all required equipment maybe rented or included in the training package.

Nleong, Sinn and myself just did our Open Water Course with Orpheus Dive. I still think SRC members got 10% off the PADI Open Water course. Check our posting.

I don't mind going for recreational dive while you're taking your OWC.

• SRC Member

hi! im no female but was thinking of diving as well, open water course.... a fellow reefer whom i get to go out quite often knows a dive shop who gave quite a reasonable price... thing is, have to do it this month of october or wait til next year.... monsoon is coming in and the dive is in tioman

me thinking of too.. that time I have posted something from Safra.

I think they have a trial course or something in October.

Cost abt $300. One theory, 2-3 practical at pool. Actual dive location is puala hantu if I remember correct.

bro, accdg to a fellow reefer, he dived at pulau hantu b4 and visibility was quite bad... think u save the money, add a bit more then we could all go 2gether..

it may depends on the season lah..

I dunno how to dive.. but can drive. hehe..

remote chance of me picking this hobby though I am veri keen..

wife will be veri lonely when I go out to the sea.. haha..

seem like some old sailor.. kaoz.. :)

• SRC Member

get her to join? And you sponsor??? :eyebrow::yeah:

Hmmm...I've always wondered how ppl can thread water for 10 mins...

I can already die of exhaustion trying to stay afloat for 5 mins...I am very prone to sinking... Although floating on my back in the water is easy for me... :blink:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

its important that you choose a good operator and have a good first dive experience. If you want to learn, do it this month.

The cost doesn't differ much when you think of the fun you will get.

Like someone say why he took up diving on saturday night.

"Go Places, meet people and do things!!!" :lol:;)

Just got back from Perhentian, current is picking up. So, go dive before the big brother land ;)

As for me, rest and relax until Apr. Let the pocket recover. :)

• SRC Member

I can already die of exhaustion trying to stay afloat for 5 mins...I am very prone to sinking... Although floating on my back in the water is easy for me... :blink:

I couldn't tread water for 10 mins but manage to stay afloat for 10 mins. Lying on my back and treading in between. Now I am diver. :D

• SRC Member

First...you got to have loads of fats to boost buoyancy...like me... :lol::lol:

Well...maybe that helps as I do tread water for more than ten minutes leh...

Or maybe I'm skilled lor...hahaha...machiam true like that... Actually I only swim one style but tread most of the time...like luohan? Hardly swims and stay put. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

it may depends on the season lah..

I dunno how to dive.. but can drive. hehe..

Getting your PADI Open Water in Pulau Hantu is cheap. But, you'll get dissapointed and discourage and may not want to go diving again. Your first impression last.

Visibility is important for you to enjoy and have fun while diving ;) . With good visibility, you are able to spot a swimming turtle 10-15m away, manta ray, sharks, school of fish or even whale.

You don't want to get frighten when the shark is 1-2m in front of you due to poor visibility. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Getting your PADI Open Water in Pulau Hantu is cheap. But, you'll get dissapointed and discourage and may not want to go diving again. Your first impression last.

Visibility is important for you to enjoy and have fun while diving ;) . With good visibility, you are able to spot a swimming turtle 10-15m away, manta ray, sharks, school of fish or even whale.

You don't want to get frighten when the shark is 1-2m in front of you due to poor visibility. :rolleyes:

ya and spot a titan trigger before it gets u :D

• SRC Member

First...you got to have loads of fats to boost buoyancy...like me... :lol::lol:

Well...maybe that helps as I do tread water for more than ten minutes leh...

Or maybe I'm skilled lor...hahaha...machiam true like that... Actually I only swim one style but tread most of the time...like luohan? Hardly swims and stay put. :rolleyes:

"Loads of fat"... that helps.. Bob, one of the guy that took OWC with us was over 100kg... my best guess is 120kg.

Guess what?

He completed 200m faster that the rest of us. And can stay afloat for days...

One problem is he can't sink. He needs over 12 weights to make him sink. ;)

He is my dive buddy. Cool guy.

ladies got more fat compare to man. :)

hehe.. suppose to help then in floating better.

men start to get fatter on the center portion only.

haha..

my wife dun even knows how to swim.

tried to teach her once, after 30mins, becomes

I piggyback her around the pool. she spank me

to make me move the direction she wanted...

kaoz.. ! :(

• SRC Member

Trust Bwilly to 'contaminate' ands mutate this thread... :lol:

I just asked simple questions out of interest and now it goes to 'piggybacking' and spanking... :lol:

Oei...keep it prim and proper hor... :P:peace:

• SRC Member

have been diving for more than 10 years liao ... agree on the point that visibility is poor in hantu and current are strong at times too ... but gotta admit that singapore offers a very good training ground .... if u can survive locally, no prob anywhere else!

i even took my DM course here .. very siong but most instructors if not all are actually no nonsense type ... do not short change new OWs ... witness several times overseas that they actually allow new divers to dive more than 18m and even night dives ... the so-called DMs or dive guides over there are just experienced divers nothing much .... not to discount them but they are good at leading to 'places of interest' but hardly any knowledge in safety aspects!

diving can be classified as an extreme sport but it can be very safe as long as we adhere to all safety aspects and most importantly, IMO, do not go against Mother Nature!

• SRC Member

flub: don't bother about getting equipment yet, cuz OW sure got free rental thrown in, wait till you certified oredi, then make up your mind if you really want to go into the sport, only then start buying equipment. cuz equipment is very ex! and I personally think if you wanna learn, either do it very very soon this month or else wait till next yr after monsoon season is over, cuz 1) nearing monsoon, more sedimentation, less viz = less enjoyment 2) more current = more dangerous esp if new to diving 3) boat trips to and for islands, and dive sites will be more rocky?

Pulau hantu is really not good to learn diving in, cuz viz is sooooo bad, imagine two arms length away you kua boh oredi! so really not safe to learn in such an environment. I"ve heard a story from my fren (DM) who had an instructor teach what he taught was his student underwater there at hantu, only later to realise it was a boulder he was toking too!!! If you have the cash, go learn overseas, imagine your pool dives in the sea itself, seeing fishes and all oredi right from the start!

• SRC Member
then triggerfish, with respect to you and your much borader knowledge and experience amongst us, join us and guide us :D:D:D

i dun mind joining u fellas for a trip but monsoon is setting in so i guess any dive trip can only be made on the western part.

planning a trip to thailand in dec so pm me if interested. :)

• SRC Member

flubs,

me and the wife took our course last march at tioman.

BEST!!!!

we went there cos it was everything pao ka liao,

from the begiining to the licence.

we tried some dive centres here but most had pool dives and then

the open water somewhere else...

you know la, so beezee where got time go pool dive this week,

then again next week, then theory, then test?

so we spent 5days at tioman, 1st day go beach dive liao :P

theories at night, test on last day.

visibility was :yeah: ...saw sharks too.

was cheaper too....

butta, best if you can swim la.

or at least very comfy underwater. ;)

thats my experience.

keep this thread alive,

maybe we can join you on your dive?

:lol:

then you and my wife can go chit chat while i go

OOgle at bikini babes :rolleyes: