Learning to scuba-dive

flubberina13

• SRC Member

hi guys, just came back from Tioman.. the vis is not very fantastic.. coz on sunday morning, it was raining.. and strong currents... was carried out into the open sea... but i do like the drift though..

like i had mentioned eariler, if u do not see any mantas or whale sharks, it is a wasted trip.. :cry2: that is the case for me.. :( ... but i did managed to catch a glimpse of black tip shark crusing abt 3-5 metres ahead of me before disappearing into the deeper ends of the reef, which by the time i get ard the reef, it was gone..

sigh...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
yazid actually I think the land reclamation has been the cause of the current jialat viz of hantu. And yes singapore is supposed to have huge diversity, only prob is viz.

Yes the reclamation work does affect the viz at the moment. I've been boat fishing for quite a few years even before the reclamation. I've seen the different colour of the sea.

Before reclamation at good current from the west, the water will be clear greenish indicating a "clean" water. When the current change and the water from Johore Straits takes over. The colour is almost "black" murky and you can see the difference when the 2 water meets. It reminds me of Singapore river in the 70's.

The effect of the reclamation at the moment is "brownish" water. Looking at the map of the reclamation of Tuas and Changi. It created a "shield" so that the water from Johor Straits will flow out to the open seas and will not contaminate the southern islands. I hope to see a difference in the water quality after the reclamation works is done.

I hope this observation comes true.

• SRC Member

Yes the reclamation work does affect the viz at the moment. I've been boat fishing for quite a few years even before the reclamation. I've seen the different colour of the sea.

Tell me about it...No more kick in fishing in Singapore waters anymore. tend to go Malaysia waters now. So anybody going? My rods are getting rusty... :P

• SRC Member

Tell me about it...No more kick in fishing in Singapore waters anymore. tend to go Malaysia waters now. So anybody going? My rods are getting rusty... :P

Flub, you fish too...

Can I add you to my fishing kaki...

Want to plan to fish for Sailfish, Marlin, Dorado.... basically Sport fishing.

Want to fish in Batam/Bintan? They got fantastic catch for Red Snapper.

I usually frequent Horsburg/Sedili and our local waters.

Where do you usualy go?

• SRC Member

hey sis, u r all ard aquatic buff!!! :D:D:D

i go fishing to permanggil and rompin with colleagues and friends... rompin is good if you want to experience pulling it out with a sailfish... permanggil is of different species-- grouper, barracuda, stingrays, dorados.... last april got a lucky weekend, we bagged 11 dorados aside from the 5 that slipped away... what's best about permanggil is after fishing, once you reach the island you can go snorkelling.... waist deep, its reach in corals n fish n visibility is great...

• SRC Member

I love fishing...Ironical right? heheh...fish is also my favourable dish... :lol: Infact, I married this hubby of mine because he was different... Taking the trouble to bring me fishing... :paiseh: But now...after 'hooking' me liao... :angry::sick:

well...I guess...time does not permit... :lol:

Anyway, can't remember many of the places except Tioman which is memorable. Caught marlin in Tioman after a few hours struggle and hands ached like mad after that...Now, no kakis to go offshore liao. :(

If you going, do let me know? But must have gals along hor...Need to observe some propriety here leh. Hope you understand... :lol: if dun have, it's okay, you guys go ahead. Just remember to help me fish my share. :P

If really going, pls tell me earlier...I need to replenish my stuffs and plan my schedule. Most of my stuff are really rusty liao...say...the last time I went was about five years or six years back... :rolleyes::cry2:

• SRC Member

hi bros and sisses,

as already mentioned in previous posts, viz is not great in singapore

waters. now, there is difference in diving and learning in singapore

waters. firstly, when doing your first weekend of diving, you'll be

kneeling down most of the time doing basic watermanship skills. now imagine

this, you are kneeling and you could hardly stay in place in place and

keep falling down because still a bit kanchong about where the regulators

and other stuffs are. now, because the bottom composition around P. Hantu

is very silty, students tend to stir up the silt covering every body with

a mushroom cloud of mud. now, once you know diving that's a different

story, because by then you should be neutrally bouyant and should not be

stirring the bottom much, then you could enjoy the marine life in singapore.

i was trained in singapore waters, and a lot of the people i took the course

with didn;t bother to continue with other dives because of the very poor

impression they had about diving. i would then suggest to get your OWD in

better waters than singapore, once experienced we could arrange dives in

singapore waters where you chance of actually enjoying it is better.

so bro reefer, shall i arrange it already?

:D

1. Via-Aqua MultiSkimmer - $25.00

2. DIY Kalk Reactor - $25.00

3. Atman Protein Skimmer - $25.00

PM Me if interested.

• SRC Member

Kuantan wreck Live Aboard for just S$365 only!!

Depart Friday night 17th and return 19th October. 6 dives full board, western and Chinese food on board. Fully air-con with spacious dive deck, comfortable saloon and dormitory sleeping arrangement. Call and secure this fabulous offer now!

1. Via-Aqua MultiSkimmer - $25.00

2. DIY Kalk Reactor - $25.00

3. Atman Protein Skimmer - $25.00

PM Me if interested.

:P haha..... i also was trained in singapore waters, great place to test ur navi skills,

:( but sad to hear u guys catching so many big game fishes..... :nc: does any one practise tag and release? that be great, ok ok offff topic,

hi A.tang i aso interested to go liveonboard (the only way to dive) but when u guys going?? most impportantly how much :heh: goto any discount???

:blink: might be good if OPEN WATER course takers don't take during this period at dayang/aur/tioman/perhaintian/radang (any thing along that coast liine altoough lots of operators say can go, and that is true but most probaly u might not like it, ;)

yes it's time to see big fish, manta and such but weather is too tempermental,

should go if U are

1)very comfortable in the water

2)use to chopy waters

3)able to remain clam when u can't see ur boat when u surface(storm on the surface)

4)get some dive guys that is so good that u know they will keep u safe

lastly

5)love rocky rides/ experincing massive storms on boats :)

• SRC Member
:( but sad to hear u guys catching so many big game fishes..... :nc: does any one practise tag and release? that be great, ok ok offff topic,

yeah... love fishing but wen it comes to big game fishes, not worth it to kill, bring hone and eat... just take a shot then release... that's what i did for the sailfin i caught... such a pretty fish and took long years to grow then just kill it? -->not worth it