New Bie on board, pls advise!

(Warning! you are about to read a very lorso story of mind. If you have the time and don't mind to advise, pls go ahead.)

Hi Reefers,

Im not reali a new bie, just that i failed for several times since 14 years ago.

Reason cos impatience and $$$$. This time round, Im reali into it and determine to get things rite. I hav discovered a few mistakes even since i start my new tank a month ago.

i started with a 2.5' jewel tank that comes with a internal overflow filter system.

i constructed a stand for the tank out of metal .(bought @ hardware shop)

Guess tat was the first mistake i made. Then after i top up tank with sea water and live rocks, i found tat the water is not level. I run the tank for 2 weeks, tested the water with AQUMEDI ammonia test kit and so far its ok. then i invest in a EHEIM canister filter as i got doubts with the internal overflow. i also add in FRITZ-ZYME Nitrifying bacteria to stable the water. Reaching week 3, I start to add in live stocks. I begin with a 2 soft coral tat im not sure of their name.And a harlique shrimp. 2 days later, i add in a red twin tube worm and a box fish(Die after 3 days) and a pistol shrimp(kill by a mantis shrimp). Two days ago, i can't control myself and bought a red sea cucumber with two emperor shrimp(a LSP warn me its almost impossible to keep them alive but other LSP told it ok, tats why i bought them.)

So far, I do a test every 3 days with Tropic Marin Ca, pH, KH, NO2/NO3 and AQUMEDI ammonia test kit. 4 days ago, i add in tropic marin calcium supplement as the test showed tat the level in low. Then 2 days ago, I vist a LSP and was push to invest in Reef max a,b,c. Till now, nothing special happen to my tank. Im planing to construct a sump and invest in a skimmer and maybe 3 months later a chiller.

for the moment, a sunon fan to keep my tank temp cool and dymax lighting on 12 hrs a day.

Pls Advise.

Regards

Cole99

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Cole99! Welcome!

I am still cycling my tank btw. From what I can see from your equiment list, you desperately need a good skimmer. I think the internal juwel is fine for water circulation, surface skimming and a place to put bags of phosguard, chemipure and what not.

I'm no expert but I feel kinda sad you are wasting so much money on lifestock instead. I on the other hand, invest all my money on equipments. But I know it's very hard to resist the temptation, today at a LFS, I almost bought 3 Green Chromis out of impulse. Luckily I remember what I learned from this forum... PATIENCE... PATIENCE... PATIENCE.

Do show us a pix of your tank. I always enjoy seeing Juwel tanks btw.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Hi, Jervis ;how are the chaeto's algae?Bie, Dont mind if I hijack this thread -since you are on the subject of Juwel/overflow, thought i will contribute, since I am Diy-ing a overflow ,you guys might be interested and can enhance on the experience

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...opic=44052&st=0

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...opic=41578&st=0

Bie , have lots of patience, read up more, and good luck!

vipersig.jpg

Sorry Bie :off:

I already got an overflow (aka surface skimming). Unless you are referring to an overflow that leads to a sump tank.

My Chaetos are doing great!!! Visit my link. I bought new macroalgae today.0

post-6-1141313402.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Yea .. It's always hard to resist any tempatation of adding new LS when visiting LFS. But we must always consider if adding these new LS will do any harm to the present batch of LS in our tank n whether or not our tank can take the extra bioload b4 getting the new LS.

Noticed that u mentioned the water lvl in ur tank being not lvl. i don't think it will cause a very big problem unless the unlevelness is very obvious then i suggest adjusting ur stand to lvl the tank. For me as long as the water remains in the tank n my surface skimmer works properly, i don't think i should b troubled by it.

Its good to hav a chiller as most corals need tempt no higher then 28 or 29 degrees n i find that the hot weather is alrdy approaching.

Personally i think when buying LS, it is important to ask the LFS owner wad r the conditions present in the tank to suit this particular LS. Most LFS esp the good ones would explain it. U can check out some of our sponsors.

Yeah I even came across LFS that refused to sell me stuff after learning I own a 24g Nano Cube, lol. Boy, I was so angry at that time, so I rip the whole NC apart and build it up to specs. But sometimes, I just hope that the LFS can be a little sensitive especially to newbies :D

And I find some of them kinda stubborn also, they will only do things (and strongly suggest) you do it their way... for example, must get a 3 ft full-system tank, more light better... all goes down to $$$. Or else, they will tell you to go Freshwater instead... so frustrating sometimes, but deep down, I know they probably telling the truth.

Truth is hard to swallow most of the time :angel: Sorry :off:

• SRC Member

Here's something short and sweet.

1) GO GET A SKIMMER

2) You should at least cycle your tank for 4 week (preferably 6 week) so that the water cycle is mature enough.

3) Add livestocks slowly. Buy fishes or invertebrates first. Not corals. Ur tank is NOT ready for any corals yet. Beside you should NOT buy "soft corals" when you dun even know what it is. It goes to show you are not certain of its lighting and diet requirements. Those Dymax brand lighting is more suitable for FOWLR tanks. To keep corals, u need better lightings. So my advise is to keep to fishes for the time being until you have learnt more and ur tank is in a better condition.

4) Patience is the key to success. Dun repeat your mistake you did 14 yrs ago.

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

Ya Elune,

I reli think i startd too fast now and i cant turn back liao. I m praying tat they will survice tru tis tough time with me.I will not add anythings else for 1 month from now untill i do up the sump and skimmer. But have u come across the Reef Max abc tat i mention earlier? is it uesful or useless? Sometimes I dnno I should trust some LSP or not cos i think they jus wana sell.

• SRC Member

My view???

1) GO GET A SKIMMER? Good to have but not a must. Our ocean has no skimmer. But I just got mine.

2) Those Dymax brand lighting is more suitable for FOWLR tanks. Wrong statement if you consider that Dymax has MH...

Temptation to buy LS/coral??? Resist it if you can, especially those really cute and nice ones.

If you cannot resist, my recommendation for new tanks:

1. chromis

2. clarke/sabae clown

3. Demsel

But do understand their behaviour, hidden danger.

Coral:

1. Common Mushroom

2. Zoo

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Err why don't you get a Juwel stand also? Coz your current one looks kinda rough... But this metal frame will allow you plenty of space beneath the tank for future use... so just need a bit of beautification I guess.

• SRC Member

Bro nakazoru, thanks for pointing out the thingy abt Dymax.

anyways from picture he posted, dun think its a MH.

abt the skimmer... nice humor u have there haha

Bro jervismun, these kinda metal racks are actually very sturdy, i guess all he needs to do is just cover it up with a black plastic sheet/canvas, then the focus will be at the tank.

That looks like a 2 feet tank. With that lamp of yours, stay with fishes first for the time being until ur tank is properly cycle. then slowly upgrade ur equipment.

do keep us posted. all the best.

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

Hey!

Thnks all bros that has been so helpful. I will stop buying LS from now on and invest in hardware slowly. Will keep reefers update about my progress with new pics.If any bro still got anymore suggestion,"KEEP POSTING MAN". I still got allot to learn.

Cheers. :bow:

I leave u guys with these 2 fellows.

post-6-1141458733.jpg

Hey cole,

Speaking from experience your dymax lights are good enough for the tank of your size. I use to have 2 of those for myself. Turned it on for ten hours during my cycling for 4 weeks without adding any LS. By my 3rd week, hairy algae was growing. Had to purchase an algae blenny to clear it.So i don't think you should worry so much about lighting for now since you are so early in your cycle.

Try to get another stand or fix your current stand to make the water level as uneven water level would mean one side of your tank having more weight then the other. WHICH could eventually cause a leak. Believe me nothing's worse then going home and see a broken tank, flooded floor and your precious life stock dead.

Ya I agree too. Very scary to look at the water level everytime i top up water.

anyway,those two fellows are the sea cucumber hosting a emperor shrimp.

i bought them last week and now i regret cos my tank might not provide enough food for the cucumber and indiretly the shrimp as well.

Thats my biggest mistake. :sick:

Wow what a striking looking sea cucumber... well instinct tells me they might be poisonous... do check properly as some creatures can even harm humans. That's why I always wear gloves... just to be on the save side... kinda embarassing, how to tell the doctor "I kena bitten by my pet sea cucumber"? lol

• SRC Member

Lol .. good one bro.

I think the doc will be like .. :blink: really? Bitten by pet dog or something still can belief .. but that one .. abit hard .. esp whenever sea cucumber s r mentioned ppl mostly will think its the ones that we eat in restaurants.

Lol .. good one bro.

I think the doc will be like .. :blink: really? Bitten by pet dog or something still can belief .. but that one .. abit hard .. esp whenever sea cucumber s r mentioned ppl mostly will think its the ones that we eat in restaurants.

Exactly, especially if you are asking for few days M.C... lol

Then the doctor will ask... what the hell r u holding the sea cucumber for? hehe... u know what la!... and you blush so big time. :paiseh: