Tunze Calcium Dispenser 5074

jervismun

Hi guys! I will get my Calcium Dispenser tomorrow. So will hook up tomorrow night and will give you guys a better feel of this product.

Meanwhile, you can read the text below (copied from Tunze's website).

The addition of lime water is another method to increase the calcium in saltwater aquariums. The calcium hydroxide is dissolved in a separate tank by means of the water jet of the metering pump in the osmotic regulator(s). The lime water is then released into the aquarium in small quantities in regular intervals. The calcium dispenser is fitted between the metering pump and the infeed hose. All TUNZE Osmolator, Osmomat and osmotic regulator sets can be used. The calcium dispenser can also be installed in every water storage tank. The dispenser tank should be topped up with calcium hydroxide every one to two weeks.

The calcium dispenser and the calcium automat can be combined to greater effect. An especially stable pH is achieved during the day as well as at night. An increase in performance can be achieved for a larger consumption.

Delivery condition: Reactor, calcium hydroxide fill, holding device and connections to Osmolator, suitable for up to approx. 500 l aquariums with stone corals.

Dimensions: 350 x 140 mm (13.7 x 5.5 in.)

post-14-1141656188.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

It has finally arrived!!! Lovely :kiss:

post-14-1141735521.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Notice the "Made In Germany"? lol

One thing I can't stand is paying Germany price, get China made product... and it happens all the time :cry:

post-14-1141735821.jpg

Need to attach the bracket into my Tunze Osmolator pail... Using one of the two ready-drilled holes.

post-14-1141736218.jpg

The bottle fits nicely inside the bucket... although this device can be fixed outside (hanging on the tank) but Tunze is against it to avoid unnecessary leakage and so on... anyway I think it's best to hide of the equipments, my room is already filled with all sorts of equipments now.

post-14-1141736417.jpg

After installing all the tubes and wire carefully... still quite neat :)

post-14-1141736583.jpg

A bottle of Calcium Hydroxide (250g) that comes with the package. The content is very lightweight and fine... just like flour or talcum powder.

post-14-1141736811.jpg

According to the instructions, 1 1/2 (about 7.5g) teaspoons for my tank size. Must add Calcium Hydroxide every week... oh, I expect this product to require lesser maintenance. I just need to fill the container with water, then wait for 15 min before connecting back the Osmolator.

Actually quite simple job, took me less than 15 mins.

I will post again once I get a feel of the functional part of the product.

Stay tune :P

Feel free to ask questions yeah? If you wanna check how much? Check www.reefdepot.com.sg

post-14-1141737100.jpg

Correct! And the same water will go into the tank as top-up freshwater (with added calcium). That's why the Calcium Hydroxide is so fine. No need to stir the mixt as the calcium is well dissolved just like saltwater.

According to Tunze... when the meter pump pumps water through the Calcium dispenser, it will create small amount of water jet which will mix a certain portion of dissolved calcium hydroxide into the freshwater... the freshwater will then go into the tank.

I prefer this method because the dosing will be more consistent and small portion at fixed intervals within the day, better than dosing once a week from the bottle.

I have not connect the Osmolator yet as I am still doing some minor water change. So will hook it up in about 30 mins time. Stay tune B)

I already hooked up the Osmolator... running flawlessly. Can't wait to see my healthier coralline and corals :D

oh then in that case very easy to DIY no?

Emm... yes I think so. The components are pretty simple and straight-forward. Although the product itself is not too exp, yeah I'm sure a DIY unit can be very interesting. If you need the manual, I can fax over the important pages to you. PM me :fear:

Calcium lvl is 420ppm! I think it is quite ideal for hardy corals and coralline :lol:

Oh :( The whole bucket is filled with calcium... I think I did not connect the return valve correctly. Will let you guys know what had happened. But the dispenser is definitely not leaking as I've checked.

looks like the calcium is really for you to grow coralline alage :D

Hehe that's part of the plan. I think my Alveopora Coral will also benefit from it greatly... still monitoring the effectiveness of the product. So guys, bear with me yeah?

can I know after you mix the tunze Tunze Calcium Hydroxid it will dissolve totally like salt or sugar? any undissolve Calcium Hydroxid after mixing? or sometime after mixing, say few hours or a day later?

The Calcium Hydroxide does not dissolve totally, but leaves a bit of sediment on the bottom of the container (tiny bit only). Since the inlet is at the bottom of the container, water that passes thru will stir is again and again... depending on the rate of water top-up. It's not a very high tech gadget, it's more for a quick fix solution. Of course, Tunze offers a more high tech Calcium Reactor for 5 times the price, lol.

Overall, I'm quite happy (so far). At least my Calcium lvl is maintained at 420 - 430, with quite a fair bit of corals introduced this week.

:D quick fix is what I need!

currently kalk stirrer is too X and calcium reactor too troublesome and X...

I will try to DIY the container portion to save some $$$....$100plus for a container abit too X also :P

DIY is good, you want a copy of the instruction manual? I can fax over to you actually :D

• SRC Member
:D quick fix is what I need!

currently kalk stirrer is too X and calcium reactor too troublesome and X...

I will try to DIY the container portion to save some $$$....$100plus for a container abit too X also :P

I also thinking about DIY-ing... haha