Food for Zoos

Just me

• SRC Member
hi, does anyone know what does Zoos feed on?? mine seems to be dying off slowly

Bro... let all newbie... including myself :P ... sometime, it can be due to other factors. Why don't you tell the bros here your tank set , how long you had that coral... flow rate etc etc

I'm sure some one will give some interesting suggestion... other then feeding. B) picture helps too

• SRC Member

Food for zoo??? I dun really care what they eats. They are found at some of the murky water so if you agitate the sand, it will get some food.

I only dose phytoplankton for my goniopora and frogspawn so I guess the zoo will get some also. When I feed fishes, I did notice that the zoo eats the pellets that drop on them.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

My zoos only eat when i 1st bought them from LFS.

After about a mth. They dun eat anymore.

They just sun tann enuff liao.

If U are already dosing & they still seem to be dying,

I suggust U take a closer look. Look for baby nudis.

I gave up on mine after repeated nudis attack.

FW dip only kills the nudis but not the eggs leh.

After a while they will be back. <_<

try adding IODIDIE from seachem or other brand u can find and see how. Did u do the FW dip? If not better do so and check for small tiny nudibranch

No need to target feed zoanthids really. They absorb dissolved organics through the water. If they are dying off like you said it would help to give them a 5-10 min freshwater bath to get rid of possible parasites like nudibranchs.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

hi

u dun need to feed zoos really...but the interesting thing is my people eater zoos do capture floating mysis and gobble them up

ok now that's besides the pt, i'd like to share with u my experience with a slowly dying zoo colony i had.

intially i tot it was the water parameters etc etc.

i tried dosing stuff but it didn't seem to help much until 1 day, a fellow friend came over and spotted some tiny snails i had running ard in my tank.

guess wat...they were sun dial snails...zoo pests

read more about them http://www.thesea.org/reef_aquarium/pests/pests_snails.php

note the words "instead the consumption pace is a bit more steady. Gone unnoticed you may attribute the losses to natural causes."

thats when i started to suspect the snails. and every night i will remove them...slowly but surely the numbers dwindled and now my zoos are very healthy :D

my pt to haring this experience is if u've tried toying with water parameters and everything seems fine, esp if other corals like lps are doing fine, then probably u will need to suspect that its pests.

look out for snails and nudibranches then decide on the right course of action.

ps:if its really sundials snails, they will come out at night...so look for them about 1 hr after your lights go off....

hope this helps

• SRC Member

give the sundials to barracude of Arofantics...can pm him here too...

btw..its best..that ..u "lights out" for more than 3 hrs....

then do snail plucking exercise

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.