New TECO Review

Killerwhale

• SRC Member

Hi guys & gals.

weeks ago, I was trying to get a product review on the new TECO chiller designed by Italy company. It was a fruitless attempt to get a full review, though there are some topic on this but no one has actually shared his own experience with this new product.

Many feedbacks gathered that this new TECO is made in Chine and is very uncertain of its quality, form, fit, function, etc which I have the same fear too.

The true fact is Yes, the chiller indeed assembled in China. Personally I felt assemble in China has a slight different meaning in made in China. Anyway, I'm not here to argue this point.

In TECO company point of view, it is cheaper to move their manufacturing line to China, at least for 3 main reason: 1. lower labour cost, 2. lower material cost, 3. lower operating cost and others such as, lower freighting cost as they target asian customers. This strategy move is very similar to many of the MNC,NNC, etc which they focus to cut cost in their supply chain network.

Thus, the quality of this chiller will more or less meet TECO standard where the parent company in italy will not take the risk for the BRAND name established many years back to flush down the drain my their counterpart in China. (one simple fact is that, if you go USA to buy Polo Ralph, you will notice that the shirt you buy is also make in China).

I will continue my true experience in the next post. Goodnight.

By the way, this is the chiller that i have bought today:

post-14-1142259938.jpg

• SRC Member

Haizzzz;

Whole world moving to China, if you haven't notice. Nike is there, Wilson is there, VW is there, Madza is there. Only those struggling MNC still operates in europe, USA.. Just to name a few.

Even the iceprobe I bought said it is made in China. Damn... But main co in USA.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

couldn't get to sleep. Let me finish with 1st part of the review using T5 ATI 4 x HO tubes.

>>TR20 Chiller Spec:

1. SUPPLY:

230V - 50Hz

230V - 60 Hz

115V - 60 Hz

2. POWER CONSUMPTION: 480 W

3. DIGITAL THERMOSTAT: Yes

4. DIGITAL THERMOMETER: Yes: R134a

5. EXCHANGER TITANIUM

6. AIR FILTER: Yes

7. ALARM OBSTRUCTED FILTER: Yes

8. SILENT MODE: Yes

9. WEIGHT 20 Kg

10. DIMENSIONS 430x270x400(h)mm

>>Set up time for new chiller is about: 20 mins (including reading the setup instructions)

>>conditions taken at 1630 hrs:

1. Ambient temp is about 32 deg C

2. 4 X ATI T5 HO tubes are ON for at least 6 hrs

3. Capacity to chill is about 90 gal (approx: 400L)

4. water temp in tank is about 27.5 deg C

5. Chiller set to 26 deg C

6. silient mode was toggle during the process

>>Result 1:

1. 1.5 deg C was brought down from 27.5 to 26 within 30mins.

2. Chiller kick in at 27.5 deg C i.e. 1.5 deg C diff will kick start the chiller in standby mode

3. silient mode is indeed very quiet. However, without selecting the silient mode, the chiller is already very quiet. To my opinion based on my experience in artica chiller, RR, PC, old TECO etc. This New TECO is much better or at least competative the rest esp. in term of quiet operations.

>>Result 2: To be reviewed later after I have test it out using 2 x 150W MH.

To summarise: this new TECO ROCK !!!! and the cost is very attractive and value for money.

Note: If there are more standard ways to test the chiller, please advise. thanks

Rgds

Ivan

Can PM me too... I bought the old Teco a few weeks ago and it is quite noisy... I think mine was made in Italy (old model). It looks hideous compared to yours. But performance wise, no complaint lah.

Could the noise caused by low flow rate? Coz I am using a relatively weak water pump currently (which I intend to upgrade to be more energy fficient). So will flow rate have anything to do with noise level?

Attached a pix of my beast.

post-14-1142265442.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Haizzzz;

Whole world moving to China, if you haven't notice. Nike is there, Wilson is there, VW is there, Madza is there. Only those struggling MNC still operates in europe, USA.. Just to name a few.

Even the iceprobe I bought said it is made in China. Damn... But main co in USA.

Hehe that's why I chose Tunze... at least money worth spending... oh what a snob am I... sorry a bit :off:

post-14-1142265556.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

PM both of you.

regarding about the flow rate. Yes, initially when I set up the TR20 new TECO.I could hear nosie at the inlet or outlet. I'm using eheim 1262. However, managed to solve this problem by adjusting the the inlet and outler valve position. Now the problem goes away.

In addition, the display will also indicate potential fault for e.g. display shows AL1 ON means dirty filter or ambient temp too high or broken ventilation system. Or another e.g. is display show E1 i.e. damage of the overheating probe......etc etc. This new TECO model has abit of built in Artificial Intelligient AI.

PM both of you.

regarding about the flow rate. Yes, initially when I set up the TR20 new TECO.I could hear nosie at the inlet or outlet. I'm using eheim 1262. However, managed to solve this problem by adjusting the the inlet and outler valve position. Now the problem goes away.

In addition, the display will also indicate potential fault for e.g. display shows AL1 ON means dirty filter or ambient temp too high or broken ventilation system. Or another e.g. is display show E1 i.e. damage of the overheating probe......etc etc. This new TECO model has abit of built in Artificial Intelligient AI.

Hey my 2 week old TECO is a dinasour!!! :nuke:

• SRC Member

Hi, some update for result 1. After operated for 2 days. I noticed that the chiller chill the temp from 27.5 to 26 at 20 mins instead of 30mins (same test conditions). I think the main reason is chiller has actually started to run in as compare to the test taken 2 days ago.

As for Result 2, I have yet to kit up my Dymax Galaxy 2 x 150W MH. Hopefully can do it by end this week.

• SRC Member

PM both of you.

Also can those bro & sis having this new TECO give their comments here. so far, I find this chiller the best among the rest. But I hope I don't over rate it. Thus, it will be good for those who have this chiller to give their personal view too......

• SRC Member

hi guys, sorry. I will not PM you the price bec I'm not here to sell this chiller but to give a factual review based on my encountered experience to this new TECO TR20. For your info, the price can range from 900++ to 1500++ for TR20 depending on which vendors are marketing it.

I got mine at a pretty reasonable price from my old shop that I visited for more than 20 years. If you really keen, I can help to ask but no promise I can get the same price that I bought. If you are not interested, please don't PM me for the price. thanks

• SRC Member

stay tuned. Going to hook up the MH (150w x 2 + 2 x 39W T5) midnight. Will test out the effect on Sat and concluded my test by Sunday.

Hope this can give you one more option to choose chiller rather than going thru the same dilemma that I went thru.

• SRC Member

sorry. couldn't kit up the Galaxy Black MH last night due to wrong dimension. Don't think I will kit up in soon.

To conclude:

with T5 (39W x 4) - 20 to 25 mins to chill 1.5 deg C

without light - 10 to 15 mins to chill 1.5 deg C

Based on these results, I extrapolate or give a close bet that with MH (150W x 2), it will probably take 50 mins to chill 1.5 deg C.

Thanks for reading

• SRC Member

hi, finally kit up the Galaxy Black MH 3 days ago. Taken few test based on MH 150W x 2 operated for at least 3 hours. The result is much better than i have extrapolated.

here is the final results:

with MH (150W x 2) - on average 25 mins to chill down 1.5 deg C

with T5 (39W x 4) - on average 20 to chill down 1.5 deg C

without light - 10 mins to chill 1.5 deg C

Hope this help you to source for chiller.

• 2 weeks later...