bring back coraline algae

• SRC Member

Am at my 4 weeks of tank cycling. Realised the rock which I first put in that was full of coraline aglae was almost white. 1 lfs told me due to lighting. But I use actinic blue by aquaz what. The other lfs told me due to the salt I use. But I use coral life, was advised cycling stage no need use good salt. next lfs even told me lack of calcium, magnesium. I dose trace element too what.Another lfs even worst, ask me change all the rock!!!!

Anyway to bring back the purple red algae or I really have to change the rock means recycle!!!!???

Any expert to help. . . .

Any expert to help?

• SRC Member

U bought uncured rocks eh ?

the rocks turn white becuz the watever things above are rotting off. its a normal thing DURING cycling. if they smell bad, take them out of the tank, use an old tooth brush and brush off those that easily comes off then put them back in again.

u just finished cycling, its normal to NOT have proper coralline algaes on ur rocks for the time being. dun worry abt it, as after some time when ur water parametres are good, they will start to grow back.

dancing_girl2.gifSpirit.gif

• SRC Member

LOLs.. Change all the rocks??!... that lfs much be hard up in making $$..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

Yeah don't worry too much... in most tanks, the purple coralline comes naturally. 4 weeks about end of cycle, start looking at your water parameters and water change. Once the condition is suitable, the coralline will appear. Good luck!

And don't go back to that LFS that suggested you throw away all your rocks... next time, he/she will suggest you throw away all your corals and buy some new ones :angry:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

LoL.....hrmz, i really curious which shop adviced you to change all your LRs. Like fellow reefers adviced, let your water stable down 1st. Once you get the other parameters correct, coralline will spread. My tank is in its 6 mth, there are still white patches on the rocks...be patient. :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

personally IMO,

patience, get ur water parameters correct first. Try kalk drip in later period. And of coz, actnic blue do helps to promote the purple alage. BUT rem, be patience...no rush! :D

Ya I agreed check your water parameter 1st before dosing anything. :peace:

• SRC Member

for growth of coraline algae, u will need :

1. around 400++ppm of calcium.

2. coraline like blue light.

3. PO4 = <0.1ppm..

after 1 month, u will see your glass have coraline algae first rather than at the rock.

For better solutions, get a CR.

Hope it's help.