anthias - is it that difficult to keep ??

hi bros :evil: and siss :peace:

is the anthias species so difficult to keep ??

got them on 3 occassions

first - only live in my tank for 15 mins - looks like gasping for air and in a vertical position and then just died.

2nd try - also live for about 15 mins - had what looks like a fit , jerking its body 3 continuos times and then motionless dead.

3rd try - situation like the first one, but looks ok after 30 mins but hiding, but next day dead on the sand.

I do not want to give up in keeping anthias, can anyone with success with these fish give some advice. I acclimatise them the normal way - floating bag for 30 mins and even a drip for 30 mins b4 putting it in the tank. no QT though.

• SRC Member

hrmz, i have no experience with those anthias you tried. I've tried 5 purple queens and they all died on me cause they refused to feed. Just got some blue eyes and they are ok till now. They are pretty easy in my opinion, started feeding the very day i bought them. Maybe im lucky and got the easy ones. :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member

IMo, i guess ur water parameters are not going well, let us know ur water parameters then we can give u the best solutions!

hope it helpsz, reefz onz...:D

• SRC Member

hey... so far i have tried out diapar and blue eye anthias.. they are both quite easy to keep in my opinion... perhaps u could get the blue eye from ML.. i bought from there and it feed on the very day i intro them in....

• SRC Member

Can try rising yur PH alittle... But shouldnt be a problem wat...

Must be yur water la... something other then those stated. Oxygen? Maybe poison subtance?

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member

i just let it float on the water before releasing it into the main tank... around 1 hr perhaps... most importantly i think it is better if u tried to purchase those fishes that are already feeding... i got both from ML.. and henry told me it is already feeding.. and in deed after putting into the tank.. they start to feed on frozen brine shrimp..

hey jimmyz thats a good advice..

making sure the fishes are already feeding...the rational is that fishes that are already feeding are stable fishes..and stable fishes will most probably tahan the 'lfs tank to your tank tranfer process' :D

but not all lfs owner will do that for you.......they will ofcource say yes to make a sale <_<

any one encounter lfs showing u their fishes are already eating ?? is yes which one ??

ok bro jimmyz , my next purchase of anthias will be from ML..

thks for the advice andtsq.....will add cooler fans soon....

will high temp further stress up new additions , is 32 deg fatal to fishes ??

was inform by a respected LFS that FO tank can be kept at 32 deg

anyone FOwlr bros has that kind of temp for their tanks ??

:whistle

• SRC Member
hey jimmyz thats a good advice..

making sure the fishes are already feeding...the rational is that fishes that are already feeding are stable fishes..and stable fishes will most probably tahan the 'lfs tank to your tank tranfer process' :D

but not all lfs owner will do that for you.......they will ofcource say yes to make a sale <_<

any one encounter lfs showing u their fishes are already eating ?? is yes which one ??

SL will feed the fish upon request. AM too... :)

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member

SL will feed the fish upon request. AM too... :)

My Dispar Anthias still hiding - not seem coming out gor any food. :(

As for the Lyretail Anthias; seem happy with environment :pinch:

• SRC Member

my 1st time buying anthias experience..... use net catch them out of the tank. fish shop guy pack it up. got into car. drive go home (about 20mins ride). got home. took the bag out of the red plastic bag. ALAMAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! walked towards the trashbin, threw it away. ......

there goes my money

• SRC Member
As a newbie, l was advised by bros to buy only from reputatable LFS - those that accum./QT the fishes properly...and avoid those unethical LFS tt import fishes caught using cyanide.

bro.. give these LFS a break.. you think the distributor will tell them that they caught these fishes with cyanite? ;)

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/