How do i get rid of these algae

some turbo snail can do the job very fast :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Actually, my experiences with snails is that they are better at microalgae. For hair algae, I think tangs are best at exterminating them. Everyday, I see my brown tang and sailfin tang wack the hairy algae. Now, the LRs are going bald and my tangs are happy.

Win-win situation. :D

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

• SRC Member
us,Mar 28 2006, 11:44 AM] Actually, my experiences with snails is that they are better at microalgae. For hair algae, I think tangs are best at exterminating them. Everyday, I see my brown tang and sailfin tang wack the hairy algae. Now, the LRs are going bald and my tangs are happy.

Win-win situation. :D

Thanks! cci[RR]us

Tangs ya? OK... I will start thinking of what tang to add-in. I think the most I want is 2 tangs.

Hammy, those turbo snail in my tank are juniors, I have 3 adults. So I guess I also have to increase the numbers.

Thanks! dnutz.

CHEERS!

Rocks

• SRC Member

i feel that prevention (of hair algae) is better than cure.

I'd rather u focus on how to prevent the growth of these hair algaes then adding cleaning crews or fishes to eat them up.

Read the postings from another similar thread by another reefer.

one of the method is to reduce photoperiod.

• SRC Member
i feel that prevention (of hair algae) is better than cure.

I'd rather u focus on how to prevent the growth of these hair algaes then adding cleaning crews or fishes to eat them up.

Read the postings from another similar thread by another reefer.

one of the method is to reduce photoperiod.

I am having SPS in my tank, reducing photoperiod might not be a good choice for me. Also, I am running ROWA and the PO4 testing is well in the accepted range. I read some where in the forum about this and it is something to do with the rocks leaking PO4.. not too sure about that. <_<

Anyway, I used to have 2 purple, 1 yellow tangs in my tank and i have no such problem with algae previously. I guess I might want to consider tangs again. I know algae benny is good.. but my understanding is that it nip on SPS.

CHEERS!

Rocks