Porcelain crab recommended?

briareos

• SRC Member

hi there briareos,

porcelain crabs are dedicated filter feeders, and are only able to consume organic particles smaller than 50microns or so in size, so if youre planning to keep them, try one to begin with ya, so you can guage over a month or so if your system generates enough food for it, either by phytoplankton that grows in your tank, or dissolved organics, etc. itd be good to feed invert foods too, though it might add to your tanks bioload. a good way might be simply to use a magnet cleaner to clean your glass sides each day, as that will free diatoms and other algaes and their spores into the water column to constitute plankton for the porcelain crab. and itd keep your tank sparkling clean! so too birds with one stone ya!

all the best,

cheers,

ian

• 2 years later...

Previously I thought they were filter feeders, and when i feed my corals, it will come out, together with the other shrmips and hermits. I used to squirt coral food with baby brine shrimp over it and it will wave its fan-like appendage to channel them to its mouth.

UNTIL 1 week ago, when it was actually tame enough to compete with the larger blood shrimp for the chunk for prawn or clam, and actually eats the meat. It would grab the prawn with the large pincers and slowly ingest the meat. I am sure others have observed such behaviour in these "plankton" feeders. :eyebrow:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Senior Reefer
Previously I thought they were filter feeders, and when i feed my corals, it will come out, together with the other shrmips and hermits. I used to squirt coral food with baby brine shrimp over it and it will wave its fan-like appendage to channel them to its mouth.

UNTIL 1 week ago, when it was actually tame enough to compete with the larger blood shrimp for the chunk for prawn or clam, and actually eats the meat. It would grab the prawn with the large pincers and slowly ingest the meat. I am sure others have observed such behaviour in these "plankton" feeders. :eyebrow:

Hmm... I know for sure porcelain crabs have BOTH claws, AND the feather like appendages, so it is possible that the crab took a bite of ur prawn =) Perhaps filter feeding wasnt enough for this greedy guy hehe.

• Senior Reefer
Here's a pic of it eating Henry's gourmet food, notice a bit of green at the mouth? :eyebrow:

The mushroom isn't too happy though..that is the crab's favorite perch when I feed; it is very tame and will come out to receive food from my long tweezers.

DSC_0005-6.jpg

oh my tian.... that mushroom sibei chioooooooooooooooooooooooooo omg omg omg u where buy from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CANDY CANE MUSHROOM???? OH MY GOD LA. so hot man!!!

oh my tian.... that mushroom sibei chioooooooooooooooooooooooooo omg omg omg u where buy from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CANDY CANE MUSHROOM???? OH MY GOD LA. so hot man!!!

This mushroom so special meh? :unsure: Got it from AM 2 mths ago. Will let you know next time I see one for sale. I think GO has/had one- larger and irregular stripes.

• Senior Reefer
This mushroom so special meh? :unsure: Got it from AM 2 mths ago. Will let you know next time I see one for sale. I think GO has/had one- larger and irregular stripes.

im a big fan of mushroom and zoas. Everytime i see unique coloured mushrooms i will go beserk. usually mushroom is blue/purple/red.... i never see red mushroom with WHITE stripes... white is like, very uncommon for mushies?