OMG OMG!!! FISHES HAVE FITS???

KyRo

i just bought a 2 inch goby which went into a fit and died. It basically started becoming jumpy and curling up like an eel and died.....I just had it for a few hours but my other fishes which i had for 3 days are fine. Furthermore to make matters worse, my friend told me that running in the tank for 3 days with life rocks was enough.... now i read that u need at least 4-5 weeks to run in with the tank. WHAT DO I DO NOW that i have abt 6 fishes in my tank. 2 clowns, 3 damsels and 1 wrasse. is there something wrong with my tank??

Pls advice dear knowledgeable marine doods

PS: BTW im really new to marine fish and i have a 3 feet tank with overflow system 4 kg of life rocks and 2 shrimps.

• SRC Member

First thing first...start to get someone to adopt your fish till your tank is ready. Next, continue to cycle your tank.

Test your water parameters before introducing fish again. And if you really like damsels then continue with them otherwise, get other fish.

Damsels have a bad track record for aggression. :lol:

• SRC Member

U should really kick ur friend. <joking>

Anyway, do read the sticky on more of marine tank. I myself is new to the hobby and those sticky are useful but definitely not enough. Do more research on the web and get a few gd books to read.

As the guru in here will tell u, patience is the key to this hobby.

And pls, get someone to adopt ur LS b4 all are gone.

regards

Wow, thanks!!

oh no i dun think any1 wanna adopt my fishes. Actually i asked my friend to take em, but he didnt have anymore space. is there any other alternative?

i read that the ammonia has to increase and nitrate as well before coming down again to ensure that my tank is run in?

Is there anyway to speed up the process?

Is there any reason why my goby died?

;)

get test kits. they all basically do the same thing and r easy to use..

basic ones are for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite & pH.

when u can't detect ammonia and nitrite anymore..ur tanks is ready i guess.

post your tank specs...it helps other see the problem better.

anyway.. u'd better read the pinned threads instead? they hav all the info a newbie needs.

Well said. A lot of reading is required.

Many of us started this way. THE WRONG WAY! Advice from here, from there, from almost anyone but the ones with the knowledge.

Good thing is that you realise this early. Pack up your fish bro and send it back to the shop.

And let the cycle begin!

15KG OF LR OMG!!! really?? ok mayb i should go get another 11kg of em. so do i buy them while im in the 'midst' of cycling the tank or after the tank is cycled??

i did try to read more on the net but im HELL confused abt the cycling process. some people say use MP , some say use few hardy fish and others say use LR to cycle the tank.... so which is best for a 3ft X 1 1/2ft X1 1/2ft tank??

thanks guys appreciate it!

iLIKEfish,

thanks for the valuable advise. hmmm if my tank is a 3 X 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 tank can it support 15 kg of LR. what is the thickness of glass i need at the base cos the tank is on a standard stand where its pretty empty below with jus a straight bar down center

the glass is 0.5cm thick.

i hope it doesnt burst!!!

will it????

:blink:

yup, ive got my friend to adopt my fishes. WHEW! and im gonna go custom make a 12mm 3 feet tank. thanks for the advice guys or my dad would hav killed me if he happen to arrive at underwaterworld back home AHHAHAH.

IM GONNA START THE NEW TANK ON THE RIGHT FOOT THIS TIME!!!

hope the custom making guys will make me a tank fast!

btw any1 know how much it will cost?

:D