getting rid of mantis

colinsoon

• SRC Member

i think when they die they will crawl out to die right... thats how so many crabs, mantis and worms are found.. but already soo long, i FW since 8, nothing yet...

i am bout 95 percent sure the mantis still on the rock... cannot haf escaped and i din see it... hmm

yo colin ,

just to check are you very sure the mantis is in the rock ?

My experience is just leave the rock in fresh water for a few mins and leave the

rock in the open ... the mantis will fly out ...

Can you see the mantis shrimp in its hole ?

That's how I got rid of my mantis.

Cheers.

attached is my extracted mantis

post-7-1145461810.jpg

• SRC Member
hi bros,

Maybe you guys can try increasing the salinity to 1.040. Thats the advice i got from one of the reputable lfs. Think its works and you wont kill all the useful bacteria.

Cheers

thats something I'm usually curious.. how do you know that it kills what ever you don't want and not kill what ever you want? Is there some prove to it? ;) or is it some psycological stuff the LFS are playing? <_<

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

thats something I'm usually curious.. how do you know that it kills what ever you don't want and not kill what ever you want? Is there some prove to it? ;) or is it some psycological stuff the LFS are playing? <_<

Haha, thats true bro. IMO, I just think that those bacteria will die in freshwater but can survive a high salinity saltwater since they belong to saltwater anyway? Or as a bro has mentioned, maybe those on the surface will die but the bacteria within the rock will still survive? Thats just a personal deduction.

Maybe a more experienced reefer can provide some clues to this? :)

• SRC Member

Haha, thats true bro. IMO, I just think that those bacteria will die in freshwater but can survive a high salinity saltwater since they belong to saltwater anyway? Or as a bro has mentioned, maybe those on the surface will die but the bacteria within the rock will still survive? Thats just a personal deduction.

Maybe a more experienced reefer can provide some clues to this? :)

ah.. but mantis and worms are also salt water.. so if they do die off, what make us so sure the good bacteral to not? :P

to me.. FW dip or hyper salinity dip, I would expect everything to die off.. bacteria and all. Off course, there will be those "commando" trained ones.. even worms.. unless we dip it for hrs..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

gonna soak my LR for 1 month.. confirm all will die... bacteria can cultivated back. I cant risk hving all the unwanted pest inside my tank. :angry:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

ah.. but mantis and worms are also salt water.. so if they do die off, what make us so sure the good bacteral to not? :P

to me.. FW dip or hyper salinity dip, I would expect everything to die off.. bacteria and all. Off course, there will be those "commando" trained ones.. even worms.. unless we dip it for hrs..

Yeah bro, maybe you are right. Haha whatever it is, i am so glad i got the pests out!!!

:):)

• SRC Member
gonna soak my LR for 1 month.. confirm all will die... bacteria can cultivated back. I cant risk hving all the unwanted pest inside my tank. :angry:

Yeah.. think you should do that. I regretted not doing that when i got my live rocks. So it was really a hassle for me to take everything out. Glad i did it though. :)

Cheers

• SRC Member
Maybe u can just take your lr's out and use a chopshick to poke all the holes. if they dont come out, at least u smash them with the sticks.

not really reliable.. holes might be deeper than you think.. there might be detours in there so your chopstick can't reach.

I believe soaking for long is the best.

Remember to flush out the dead stuff once you kill them. My uncle nuked his rocks and put them back into the tank. He didn't know that the stuff inside would ROT and within a day, there was a bacteria bloom. The whole tank was cloudy and stinked like rotting seafood.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

• SRC Member

hello .. my mantis died in the rocks .. I thought it would crawl out when you dip in fresh water ..

1.5" sized mantis enough to kill all my small fishes ..

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member

guys, a question to ask from you people.

lets say i have a new tank coming up, and i intend to get more LR for it. i dun really wanna get cured ones, cos i quite like all the hitchhikers dat come along with uncured ones... but then, for worms and mantis dat comes along with it, i dun like.

other den doing FW dip to flush them out, what other ways are there to remove them? will leaving them open in the air for hours do the work?

anyway if i do FW dip, will it definitely kill off all the hitchhikers like tubeworms and zoos??

• SRC Member

yea .. why not try quarantine the rocks 1st :P

or run a super hypo dip ??

Some of the interesting stuff that I got that cannot be bought from LFS ..

emerald green porcelain crabs

black seafan :yeah:

Spaghetti worms (detritus eaters)

sally ugly foot :P

aquatronica7na.gif

• SRC Member

will hypo dip kill off all the stuff? cos i really din know bout the existence of my mantis till like nearly 2 months after my set up. i dun wan this to happen again.. a real headache...

yeah dats y cos of the lil stuff present that is why i dun wanna do FW dip....